INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External Drive - Can't write  (Read 2195 times)

jmaples

• Recent member
External Drive - Can't write
« on: June 04, 2018, 11:34:08 am »

I have a JRiverId up to date on Firmware and MC24. I have installed a QNAP on my network and opened up the Multimedia folder to full access permission. I can connect from a Windows machine and write to the folder.

I am, however, getting Read-Only from the JRiverId as an External Drive. I have gone through the process a few times. I am connecting as the admin, answer yes to Windows computer, and choosing rw for read option. I can import and play files, but cannot write tags or use the drive to backup.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: External Drive - Can't write
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:25:27 pm »

Isn't the QNAP running linux? You might try NO to that question.

jmaples

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 01:31:52 pm »

Tried connecting again saying no to Windows. Same result, read-only access.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 02:51:24 pm »

Tried connecting again saying no to Windows. Same result, read-only access.
Can you actually write to the files themselves from your windows machine?
It's possible that the folder permissions allow write but not the file permissions.

jmaples

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 03:16:51 pm »

I can rename and make other changes to the files from a Windows machine. Also hooked up an old NAS and mounted a RW drive to the JRiverID and get the same result. The configuration shows RW but doesn't allow writing. Also tried to set a folder on the QNAP and Old NAS as the backup and the CD Rip folder but again get the read only error. Don't know what else to check outside the JriverID.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 10:35:09 pm »

Is the drive NTFS formatted? Do you have ntfs-3g installed? Have you added the appropriate ownership rules in /etc/fstab?

Code: [Select]
UUID=XXXXXXXXXX /media/ext1 ntfs-3g defaults,user,nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=1,uid=userid,gid=groupid,dmask=002,fmask=002 0 0

...where userid and groupid are (typically) your username.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 08:43:56 am »

Is the drive NTFS formatted? Do you have ntfs-3g installed? Have you added the appropriate ownership rules in /etc/fstab?

Code: [Select]
UUID=XXXXXXXXXX /media/ext1 ntfs-3g defaults,user,nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=1,uid=userid,gid=groupid,dmask=002,fmask=002 0 0

...where userid and groupid are (typically) your username.
He's using a network share on an Id. For some reason, it's not getting mounted rwxrwxrwx. I'm going to try to duplicate it here, we have similar equipment.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 05:19:44 pm »

I have a JRiverId up to date on Firmware and MC24. I have installed a QNAP on my network and opened up the Multimedia folder to full access permission. I can connect from a Windows machine and write to the folder.
Hi, I have a related issue: I'm running on the Id; also a QNAP NAS; can actually save tags from the MC24 server on the Id; and I can edit the directory/file structure via Windows machine on NAS.
BUT: when I try to use the "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" function, this doesn't work:
- from the Windows machine I get message "can't be done as connected to server"
- on the Id I can do the change: it updates the metadata tags BUT the directory/file names remain unchanged on the QNAP NAS (and hence the files no longer play in MC, as the file path is no longer linked to file location)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 06:16:25 pm »

Is the QNAP setup with NFS or CIFS?

I found CIFS to be more complicated as you need to maintain usernames and passwords and permissions for each connected system, and I found that my MC instance had to be setup to authenticate.

NFS on the QNAP is easier as you can simply allow a host IP to access, and set up the permissions form there.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 05:12:55 am »

Is the QNAP setup with NFS or CIFS?
Some additional specifics:
I have a QNAP TS-219+, running firmware 4.3.3.0628. I do not have NFS activated (I can activate v2/v3 or v4 in the QNAP Control Panel I see). I do not know where I may manage CIFS..? But the Microsoft Network is activated (the 3rd option is Apple Network, which is not active). On the Windows machine I run MC24.0.45, which uses the Library on the Id server; on the Id I run MC24.0.28. From the Id, I connect to the QNAP NAS using the QNAP Admin login. I rebooted both QNAP and Id recently.

I just discovered something related to the writing issue: while updating default settings in the File Location menu under MC's Options on the Id, I get the message "Audio file location cannot be read-only". This is strange as I configured the External Media Menu of the Id's Mainmenu to be read/write. I will do some more checking and come back.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 05:46:30 am »

Adding to previous post:
- I added new Network Drive via the External Media Menu on the Id: I assured read/write access, using the NAS' Admin credentials
- I noticed that when the Id ran a connection check when mounting the drive, it showed "CIFS" in the details
- I deleted the old Network Drive (although it is the same QNAP NAS)
Then I do the same changes in the File Location menu of MC (changng the default "/home/media/music/" to "/mnt/qnap/multimedia/") , and I get stil the same error message that "Audio file location cannot be read-only". I also can no longer play any audio file, as I get message that the file "does not exist"...
This is not fun... (certainly not with the Id running on Querty while all keyboards in Belgium are Azerty).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 12:33:40 pm »

Adding to previous post:
- I added new Network Drive via the External Media Menu on the Id: I assured read/write access, using the NAS' Admin credentials
- I noticed that when the Id ran a connection check when mounting the drive, it showed "CIFS" in the details
- I deleted the old Network Drive (although it is the same QNAP NAS)
Then I do the same changes in the File Location menu of MC (changing the default "/home/media/music/" to "/mnt/qnap/multimedia/") , and I get stil the same error message that "Audio file location cannot be read-only". I also can no longer play any audio file, as I get message that the file "does not exist"...
This is not fun... (certainly not with the Id running on Querty while all keyboards in Belgium are Azerty).
Don't change the default file location.
It should be /home/media/Music
All mounts are done with CIFS at this time.
Clear your library.
In the DIskmenu, delete your existing configuration and use option 14 on the diskmenu to remove unused mountpoints.
Re-add your NAS share. We recommend that it be read-only unless there is some reason you need to change file tags.
Add the share to the auto-import settings under Tools->Import->Configure Auto-Import

An update will be release shortly that will let you set the keyboard through option 17 on the main menu

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 03:22:25 am »

Thanks Bob. I'll give it a try.
For my understanding: why do you recommend read-only? As I want to use the  "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" function - which requires write access I expect.
Alternatively, I'm even more fine if I can use the  "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" function from the Windows laptop, but here I'm struggling with the Library: the function does not work when I load the Libary on the Id server.
So I have now created a new local Library on my Windows laptop, hoping I can now edit file names/directories. But obviously it is not easy to maintain two different Libraries and keep them in sync... (I know MC offers a Library Sync option, but if I understand correctly, this copies files to the Windows laptop, which clearly is not what I want to do.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 08:34:15 am »

Don't change the default file location.
It should be /home/media/Music
All mounts are done with CIFS at this time.
Clear your library.
In the DIskmenu, delete your existing configuration and use option 14 on the diskmenu to remove unused mountpoints.
Re-add your NAS share. We recommend that it be read-only unless there is some reason you need to change file tags.
Add the share to the auto-import settings under Tools->Import->Configure Auto-Import

An update will be release shortly that will let you set the keyboard through option 17 on the main menu
Bob, I followed instructions (except that I created a rw drive): it mounts; I can set AutoImport.. but when building the Library nothing happens: zero files are imported, while I also get no error message...
I can access the mount directly and play files using MC on the Id, so there certainly is no read access issue.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 08:37:39 am »

Adding: the UI of the Id sometimes become 'blurry' on the screen. It is never the whole UI, just where the files are displayed. I thought it was perhaps my screen of connection, but then the whole UI would have blurryness I assume. Also, when I minimize the MC window, and then bring up again, the UI is again sharp...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 09:45:24 am »

Thanks Bob. I'll give it a try.
For my understanding: why do you recommend read-only? As I want to use the  "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" function - which requires write access I expect.
Alternatively, I'm even more fine if I can use the  "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" function from the Windows laptop, but here I'm struggling with the Library: the function does not work when I load the Libary on the Id server.
So I have now created a new local Library on my Windows laptop, hoping I can now edit file names/directories. But obviously it is not easy to maintain two different Libraries and keep them in sync... (I know MC offers a Library Sync option, but if I understand correctly, this copies files to the Windows laptop, which clearly is not what I want to do.
I recommend read-only because the Id doesn't need read-write permissions to access the files and do you really want more than one MC instance to write tags on your files?
What are you planning on using "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" for BTW?

If you've mounted the NAS and done an import using either importing a single folder (browsing to /mnt/name_of_your_nas_share) or adding that as an auto-import you should see the Id build a library from them.
If not, try clearing the library on the Id (it's empty anyway, right?) and re-try the import.

bjurry

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 11:06:38 am »

Bob,
I cleared the Library a 2nd time: now it is importing.

With regards to need for "Rename, Move, and Copy Files":
- I need to do this as some files are residing in "Unknown Artist" folder: the metadata now has the correct Artist name, but I need the folder directory updated too.
- I would prefer to do all metadata and file naming maintenance from my Windows laptop rather then on the Id (as my goal has always been to have the Id just run without screen, keyboard, mouse), but "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" doesn't work when I load the Library of the Id onto MC running on the Windows laptop. And per a previous post, I am also not able on the Windows laptop to add missing album covers.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 11:58:56 am »

Bob,
I cleared the Library a 2nd time: now it is importing.

With regards to need for "Rename, Move, and Copy Files":
- I need to do this as some files are residing in "Unknown Artist" folder: the metadata now has the correct Artist name, but I need the folder directory updated too.
- I would prefer to do all metadata and file naming maintenance from my Windows laptop rather then on the Id (as my goal has always been to have the Id just run without screen, keyboard, mouse), but "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" doesn't work when I load the Library of the Id onto MC running on the Windows laptop. And per a previous post, I am also not able on the Windows laptop to add missing album covers.
Instead of loading the library of the Id into MC running on the laptop it would be a better bet to just connect to the NAS share from the Windows laptop and move the directory through windows explorer.

As for adding the cover art on the Id, since it doesn't have drag and drop implemented yet you can't do it that way (you can have it search for cover art and add it that way if it can find the cover art on yadb).

If you need to add cover art through a drag and drop process you'll need to import the library on your windows machine directly from the share and add it that way (updating the tags).

Pages: [1]   Go Up