INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: disable automatic sleep & DLNA Server  (Read 2775 times)

lkk

• Recent member
disable automatic sleep & DLNA Server
« on: June 09, 2018, 11:22:13 am »

- playback Power: Serving (disable automatic sleep)

First of all I notice MC24 will not allow system enter sleep mode while playing which able solved a lot of problem but it introduce a problem of also prevented system blank screen or off the screen while playing music. Playing music with tablet with screen on will drain battery very fast, can you add a settings to turn off the disable automatic sleep.

- DLNA Server

problem encountered to playback the DLNA server that with MP3 output format.

can add FLAC output format in DLNA server, after up-sampling PCM/WAV format required higher bandwidth and much more data usage.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: disable automatic sleep & DLNA Server
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 12:22:05 pm »

your post is allover the place! check your settings on the tablet also.....
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

lkk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 10:54:35 pm »

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. If you referring to the multiple posting is because I decided to open a new topic rather reply to JRiver Media Center 24.0.30 -- Available Here topic. If I not mistaken I already removed the reply post after created this topic.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 12:56:20 am »

What he means is that we can't make any sense of your post. Read it yourself. It is shorthand, or English isn't your first language, and it doesn't communicate your problems well.

MC only stops a PC from going to sleep if something is playing. You can still have a screen saver, which includes a blank screensaver, at least on Windows.
You don't say what sort of tablet you are using. Obviously, a Windows tablet is going to have different settings to an iOS tablet, or indeed an Android tablet. We can't read minds you know, or look over your shoulder.
Just about all screen blanking or sleep functions are a function of the OS, not MC.

DLNA does indeed convert to and stream MP3s... if you set up MC to do that. You don't say anything about the "problem encountered" streaming MP3s. You don't say if you are using DLNA over your LAN, or a WAN, or Mobile Data, but since you are worried about data usage, it is probably over the internet to your mobile via mobile data. But that is just a guess.

Try again. Even Google translate will do a better job than that if you write up your problems better.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

lkk

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 08:01:41 pm »

What he means is that we can't make any sense of your post. Read it yourself. It is shorthand, or English isn't your first language, and it doesn't communicate your problems well.

I see thanks for the explanation. This is my problem I'll working on it.

MC only stops a PC from going to sleep if something is playing. You can still have a screen saver, which includes a blank screensaver, at least on Windows.

On tablet with Intel ® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework the screen saver also stop while playing.

You don't say what sort of tablet you are using. Obviously, a Windows tablet is going to have different settings to an iOS tablet, or indeed an Android tablet. We can't read minds you know, or look over your shoulder.
Just about all screen blanking or sleep functions are a function of the OS, not MC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, MC can support iOS and Android already? I thought only support Linux, Mac OS and Windows.

DLNA does indeed convert to and stream MP3s... if you set up MC to do that. You don't say anything about the "problem encountered" streaming MP3s. You don't say if you are using DLNA over your LAN, or a WAN, or Mobile Data, but since you are worried about data usage, it is probably over the internet to your mobile via mobile data. But that is just a guess.

Play from Lan through mobile phone with multiple different apps also having same issue, On DLNA set to MP3 output format player can't play any songs change the format to PCM format no problem to play the same songs. Previous version mc no problem.

Try again. Even Google translate will do a better job than that if you write up your problems better.
Previous message was using Google translate, too bad jriver don't have translator otherwise can use it should get better result.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 12:30:27 am »

Okay, I wasn't sure if you were playing from a PC to your tablet, and hence could have been using an iOS or Android tablet and App. I understand now that your tablet is where you copy of MC is installed, and is Windows of course.

I can't comment specifically about your tablet, but in Windows you can set a Blank Screensaver, which should result in a power saving for your tablet. Two points to note;
1. You must have the setting at "Options > Theatre View > Behaviour > Disable screen saver in Theatre View" unchecked.
2. If you start playback in Theatre VIew, MC will disable the screen saver for 1 minute when playback starts. Once it is enabled again by MC, after one minute, it appears that the Windows timeout setting then needs to expire. So if you set up a Blank screen saver in Windows with a timeout of 1 minute, it takes 2 minutes for the screen to blank out. If you set up a Blank screen saver in Windows with a timeout of 5 minutes, it takes about 6 minutes for the screen to blank out.
3. If you start playback in Standard View, MC doesn't disable the screen saver, and a 1 minute Windows screen saver will blank the screen one minute after the last keystroke.

If you wish to see what MC is doing, immediately after starting playback in Theatre View switch to Standard View and go to "services & Plug-ins" in the left navigation bar, then select "Reporter". Under the "Power" heading you will see a message "Mode Change (disable screensaver, keep monitor on) [Expires in one minute]". If you refresh the Reporter after one minute that message will disappear.

If the above doesn't work on your tablet, you will need to find out what is different on your tablet. It is likely a setting in the BIOS or Windows, or some custom software that comes with the tablet.

I was also able to change the Windows 10 Power & Sleep settings to turn off the monitor after a timeout period, under "Advanced Power Settings > Display". I set it to 1 minute and started music playing in Theatre View, and the monitor turned off after one minute. When I tested with no music playing it took 2 minutes, so maybe the power down function also works the same way as the screen saver described above.

There may be a Windows tool that can tell you what is stopping the monitor sleeping or powering down. Something like Powercfg, which tells you what is keeping a PC awake, or what last woke it.

Now, with DLNA, take a look at;
"Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Audio > Advanced > Audio formats to convert"

Is the file type you are converting from included in the list?

Of course;
"Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Audio > Mode" should be set to "Specified output format".
and
"Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Audio > Format" should be set to one of the MP3 options.

Also;
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

have some information.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

lkk

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 11:14:59 am »

Thanks again for speedy reply.

After reinstall and rebooted the DLNA with MP3 working now.

The power saving issue, the screen saver has set to 1 minute, under edit plan settings Turn off the display set to 1 minute, Put the computer to sleep also set to 1 minute. The Disable screen saver in Theater View confirm unchecked (but I'm using Standard View not Theater View any way). Playing with internal sound device it will blank the screen but playing to USB external DAC it wouldn't blank the screen.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 11:31:00 pm »

Playing with internal sound device it will blank the screen but playing to USB external DAC it wouldn't blank the screen.

Ah. So it is probably the USB or DAC driver that is stopping the screen from blanking.

Try this:

1. Open a Command Prompt using "Run as Administrator". i.e. Search for "cmd" in the Windows Taskbar search, right-click on the Command Prompt Desktop App result and select "Run as Administrator".
If that doesn't open a Command Prompt, which it may not depending on your Windows setup, right-click on the Command Prompt Desktop App result, select "Open file location", right-click on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and select "Open file location", then right-click on "cmd.exe" and select "Run as Administrator". That always seems to work. You may need to enter Administrator credentials at some stage.

2. With MC closed, in the Command Prompt windows, run the command "powercfg /energy /trace". This will create a very detailed power management event log, energy-trace.etl, by default in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. It will run for one minute.

3. During the minute that the trace is running, start MC and start playback of an audio file in Standard View, as you usually do.

4. When the trace finishes, stop playback in MC, then start the Windows Event Viewer. Use the "Open saved log" link on the right, search for "energy-trace.etl" on the C:\ drive, and select the file to open it. Windows will ask if you want to create a new converted event log copy. Just say Yes, and it will create a file called "energy-trace.evtx", Click OK on the "Open Saved Log" dialogue.

5. Click the "Filter Current Log" link on the right side, enter Event ID "62" in the appropriate box, and click OK. Event Viewer should show you all events where something has overridden the Power Management settings. It should give you some information about what made the change, either an application, process, or driver. I think you will find one event from MC, when it prevents the PC (tablet) from sleeping, but there should be one more, where something disables the screensaver. See if you can work out what the cause of the screen saver being disabled is from that.

I ran the above process but instead of playing audio I played a video in MC, as I know that will disable the screensaver and prevent the PC from going to sleep. Playing back audio will also cause MC to prevent the PC from going to sleep, so you should find an Event 62 for MC, plus one for whatever is stopping the screensaver from activating. At least I think it will, as I hope launching MC causes your USB external DAC driver to activation and set that power condition. But it may not show up in the trace, as the driver may already have set that power management state.

I can't find any way to check what actually disables the screensaver. Only how to detect a power management change.

See how you go with the above. I found out all the above just by some Googling, so if the above doesn't work, perhaps search for how to check what actually disables the screensaver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up