INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files playing in "Sequence" order instead of Track order - please help  (Read 1043 times)

Rippedgeek

• Recent member

Hi guys

I've been using JMC since last year, but this is now really starting to annoy the heck out of me - if I right click on a folder and select "Play in Media Center" it *always* opens up in Sequence order and not Track number or name order.  I've tried changing the default "View" and column order, but I can't get it to start up with Sequence removed or just to simply play my darn tracks in numerical order.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Rip

swiv3d

Tools>General , check shell integration. Files now play in their correct order when selected in windows explorer.

Rippedgeek

• Recent member

Thanks Swiv3D, but that was already checked.  I also unchecked, quit restarted and re-checked.  Still no go.  Might do an uninstall/reinstall and see if that helps. 
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Rip

Rippedgeek

• Recent member

Blinking bizarre.  Removed JMC24, reinstalled, enabled shell integration, exactly the same thing.  Am I just doing something stupid?

Look at the order in the playlist (image attached), all I did was right click -> Play in Media Center.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

all I did was right click -> Play in Media Center.

Try "Right-clicking folder > Media Center > Play", or "Add to Playing Now" or one of the other options.

I don't know if the functionality is working as intended, or there is a problem with the Shell Integration when "Right-clicking folder > Play in Media Center" is used, but the above should work as you wish.

See this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,116061.msg802500.html#msg802500

The whole thread might add some insight into the issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Rippedgeek

• Recent member

OK, I've tried all of those options (after doing the fresh install).  I get the same result from certain music collections, not all.  Some play in the order I would expect them to, every single time, others have their own order and I have no bloody idea how or where it gets that info from - JMC might be looking at something in the tagging and interprets the order that way.  If you look at the screenshot I've added, you'll see that it sorts this collection of music (a folder I right clicked on and played) very oddly.  The track field is further to the right from the "sequence" (I'm hating that word by now) field.  I'm dumbfounded.
Thanks for the response though, I really appreciate it.

Cheers
Rip

swiv3d

Odd, after this mornings windows update shell integration no longer has any effect on the playing order and they are all over the place again, even unclicking and reselecting has no effect, nor does restarting MC.

swiv3d

Even opening a folder to play from Audio > Files from within MC gives random sequential play. How strange. This definitely needs sorting.

wig

• MC Beta Team

Even opening a folder to play from Audio > Files from within MC gives random sequential play. How strange. This definitely needs sorting.

Two questions:

• Is the sequence actually random? If you play the same folder twice, does the order change?
  • Is the sequence the same in the folder? If so, it's probably just using the filename as the order.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Okay guys, I just tested again with folders full of files named beginning with the track number, so "[Track #] - [Name].ext".

Every one of at least a dozen folders sorted correctly, by the filename. That is the expected sort when you right-click on a folder of music files Wig. I don't get any of the variable random sequences like I did earlier, as shown in that earlier thread.

Most of the files I were testing were already imported into MC, so I tried using some folders over the network of files not imported into my local MC library. They worked as well.

One possible difference is that I am using a newer Beta version of MC. Maybe someone fixed this issue, but didn't report it in the Release Notes, which don't show anything about the Shell Integration. So maybe keep an eye on this and check again once MC24.0.34 or later goes public, as the issue may already be fixed.

Or maybe a Windows Update has fixed the problem. I am on Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) of Windows 10 Pro.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

By default in Explorer views we sort by these fields:
Media Type
Album Artist (auto)
Album
Disc #
Track #
Name

And that sorting is what will be applied at playback time.  So either you've changed the sorting, or something is funny with the tags, or shuffle is on.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

swiv3d

In answer to Wig, The track sequence is always the same, but not in name order as displayed in Windows explorer. Shuffle is off, no strange sorting applied by me. These are always tracks without the track number in the name field.

swiv3d

Correction after trying quite a few times with the same folder of tracks the order does change randomly. Also adding the track number to the name field and the filename makes no difference.

swiv3d

just updated to MC 24.0.34 and the behaviour is exactly the same even after deslecting shell integration and then reselecting it. Not a problem for me really since I don't click windows folders but obviously some people do like to use that facility.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

By default in Explorer views we sort by these fields:

Thanks for jumping in Matt. I believe you are talking about the Explorer Views inside MC, while these users are talking about right-clicking on a folder in Windows Explorer, and selecting "Play in Media Center" using the Shell Integration. That is what is giving random sorts. This is the second thread on the topic recently.

How are the tracks supposed to be sorted when played from Windows Explorer this way? Does it work for you or appear broken?

swiv3d

Reinstalled mc24.0.34, checked shell integration on, close mc, open mc and vóila everything works perfectly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up