INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Truth about HDR - A very interesting read  (Read 1753 times)

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
The Truth about HDR - A very interesting read
« on: June 22, 2018, 10:58:09 pm »

You have to ask your self - Do you really need that 1000nit HDR TV, Projector or Monitor?

The truth may surprise you. :)
The article below is long, somewhat technical, but exceptionally informative and worth a read a couple of times if you really want to understand HDR.

For instance - did you know: -

"The PQ based ST2084 HDR specification defines reference white (normal diffuse white) as being 100 nits, which is exactly the same as for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) displays, as specified for mastering (grading) grade-1 applications. With PQ HDR, above 100 nits is for spectral highlight detail only. This shows that the Average Picture Level (APL) of a PQ HDR display will not be significantly different to a SDR display.

Regardless of the maximum peak brightness the display can generate, diffuse white will always be around 100 nits."

Most current SDR and HDR TV's and displays have all the peak brightness you need for HDR when watched in a typical home environment. Only those with really poor lighting control or full daylight will need the extreme 1000nits peak brightness talked about in the HDR spec.

Also, given most peoples seating distances, the human eye is stuck in the 10,000:1 static contrast window (12 stops), so there for, cannot benefit from the supposed higher peak brightness of a 1000nit display. (or even the high dynamic range that maybe possible with high peak brightness displays)

From my perspective the whole HDR thing is a big cluster%#*& and the various manufacturers are doing their best in marketing to make sure no-one knows the real truth.

This article is a wonderful look into the differences between SDR, HDR, HDR10, HLG HDR, Dolby Vision and all of the other proposed standards and myths regarding HDR.

Enjoy!

https://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html

RD James

Re: The Truth about HDR - A very interesting read
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:48:54 am »

That may be how the spec was intended, but MediaInfo reports "maximum frame-average light level" to be considerably higher for nearly all of my discs, and the average brightness for most discs is noticeably higher than SDR.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 06:53:18 am »

@Hilton thanks for posting this link.
A very informative read that has answered several questions I had about HDR.
It gives me a far better base to understand what I should be expecting from my display when viewing HDR content.

Thanks again

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:38:50 am »

To tell the truth … I do not notice difference between 4K HDR and normal BD unless see side by side comparison lol
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up