INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommended setup for electrostatic speakers on jriver?  (Read 1230 times)

Audio Adrenaline

• Recent member
recommended setup for electrostatic speakers on jriver?
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:49:19 pm »

I bought my first set of electrostatic hybrids the other day-Acoustat Spectra 11s -if anyone is familiar with them I'm setting them up in a living/dining room that is rectangular but I have to set it up on the short side of the room- has anyone had any experience with large (the panels are about 1.5mx30cm on top of a 30cm high woofer enclosure) hybrids in narrow rooms. I only have about 4m from the wall to my couch also are there any settings on jriver which are helpful for using electrostatics

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: recomended setup for electrostatic speakers on jriver?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:13:32 pm »

Hi

yes I have and had a lot of electrostatic and panel speakers.
ML SL3, ML scenario, ML Theos, MS Summit-X , Apogee Duetta, Audiostatic.

Its not a problem, you have just to have 1m space behind the speaker and not too reflective.
also do not put them all sidewise to the wall, 0.5m away.
Good would be some basotec dampin panel.

More important is to incline them towards hearing position.
They all have heavy directivity issues.
ML is no exception. Marketing tells you different, but measurement tells you the truth, they are directive horizontaly and verticallly.
Just experiment with the toe in, ML Summit-X is optimal not fully toed-in to hearing position but somewhat less.
The measurement tells you why, the maximum of treble output is around 10 deg to the side!

What you can do in JRiver is EQ.
Better is to use two woofer to rectify the mediocre bass. Additionally you can rectify the highs by adding tweeter.
With JRiver and in my case acourateconvolver in conjunction with JRiver I do FIR crossover.

Audio Adrenaline

• Recent member
Re: recommended setup for electrostatic speakers on jriver?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:42:10 pm »

do you alter the eq settings in jriver to suit your speakers ? and if you do what frequencies do you find need to be altered? I found out my speakers crossover between the driver and the panel is 250hz from  and the panel sounds great but i dont know if the bass driver is as good as the ones in my old 2 1/2 way speakers so maybe if i can make my sub come in sooner it will be good? anyway any suggestions would be appreciated :)

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: recommended setup for electrostatic speakers on jriver?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 04:10:05 pm »

Hi

I actually do EQ, not in JRiver but in acourateconvolver (www.audiovero.de)

You clould do convolving in JRiver however its not easy to configure.

EQ: Summit-X I did highs higher, bass cut-off at 40Hz. It did not improve much.
After that I added subwoofer and tweeter with a 3-way crossover (convolver) that was a real improvement.

Pages: [1]   Go Up