INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Protection  (Read 1077 times)

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
Volume Protection
« on: July 11, 2018, 02:03:45 pm »

When watching several series episodes at a time (play all) volume goes back to startup volume.
MC considers itself inactive when playing something. The same will happen if I listen to a track > 30min, next track will change volume to what's defined in startup volume.
I already reported this several versions earlier but it's still happening.
This bug was introduced with MC24 first version, it didn't behave like that in MC23 or older ones.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Volume Protection
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 02:13:13 pm »

When watching several series episodes at a time (play all) volume goes back to startup volume.
MC considers itself inactive when playing something. The same will happen if I listen to a track > 30min, next track will change volume to what's defined in startup volume.
I already reported this several versions earlier but it's still happening.
This bug was introduced with MC24 first version, it didn't behave like that in MC23 or older ones.

I'm riddled by that because we only apply the startup volume when we create the playback engine.  And that should only happen once per zone for the run of the program.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:19:19 pm »

It's easy to test, but it needs anything longer than 30min (audio or video), with something else in playing now after it.

Audio settings here : https://nsa39.casimages.com/img/2018/07/11/18071109345734458.jpg

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »

It's easy to test, but it needs anything longer than 30min (audio or video), with something else in playing now after it.

Audio settings here : https://nsa39.casimages.com/img/2018/07/11/18071109345734458.jpg

It's because you have volume protection on.  It triggers like this:
if ((m_nPlayCounter == 0) || (dMinutesSinceLastActivity > 30))

And it sounds like it's been over 30 minutes since your last play.

Probably just turn volume protection off if it bothers you.

narbi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 04:03:22 pm »

Well, this didn't happen before MC24, and I can't disable it, I'm running straight to the amps, I won't take that risk.
The problem is while playing something MC considers itself inactive, it shouldn't imho, and it didn't before MC24, unless that code changed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:04:33 am »

Coming next build we'll try this:
Changed: Volume protection won't engage for 30 minutes since the end of a file as well (instead of just 30 minutes from the start of a file).

Hopefully it's all good after that.

swiv3d

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 01:17:59 pm »

Volume protection is designed to protect your delicate ear mechanism from overlong exposure to loud sounds. The inactivity you speak of is no user input for a defined period it hasn't gone into limbo, it just hasn't heard back from you for some time.T he only way you will damage your amp is by having the volume switch on it dialled up too high.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 12:22:34 pm »

Volume protection is designed to protect your delicate ear mechanism from overlong exposure to loud sounds. The inactivity you speak of is no user input for a defined period it hasn't gone into limbo, it just hasn't heard back from you for some time.T he only way you will damage your amp is by having the volume switch on it dialled up too high.

Respectfully; that's not how Volume Protection works (or is intended to work).  It typically only resets the volume after there had been no user interaction *or* track changes for thirty minutes.  The issue identified appears to only happen if a single audio or video track is more than thirty minutes long.  If volume protection just turned down the volume after no interaction for thirty minutes (on track change), it would wind up turning down the volume in the middle of an album, which it has not historically done (and wouldn't be good behavior for album listeners or party hosters).  It's intended to return the volume to a sane default when the system is not in use so that the next user doesn't get blasted out of their chair because the last user had it turned up good and loud.

As for damage, I think the OP may be in a similar position to me: I have my DAC plugged directly into my amps with no volume control in between (JRiver is my volume control, the amps are block amps).  Volume Protection is essential in that scenario because it does a lot more than just turn the volume back down, it also slows down volume increases so that the volume can't be accidentally turned up to quickly, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up