INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Selectable Bit Rate?  (Read 1096 times)

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
WDM Selectable Bit Rate?
« on: July 14, 2018, 10:14:41 am »

Is the WDM bit rate selectable?
Win 10 Pro shows 16 bit 2 channel, even after for instance, selecting 24/48 in the Advanced Tab under Properties.
Thanks very much.

denton1972

• Recent member
Re: WDM Selectable Bit Rate?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 07:08:25 pm »

Where Win 10 shows 16 bit???
Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC x64 | JRiver Media Center 32 x64 | Sonarworks SoundID Reference VST3 x64 | Klanghelm SDRR2 VST3 x64

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 07:14:58 pm »

Not sure what your question (or is it a comment?) refers to.

denton1972

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:20:30 pm »

It's a question.
Windows 11 Enterprise LTSC x64 | JRiver Media Center 32 x64 | Sonarworks SoundID Reference VST3 x64 | Klanghelm SDRR2 VST3 x64

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 08:27:13 pm »

try a right click on the icon and click on the default playback device and then choose properties....or call google for more help!  ;D
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 08:54:09 pm »

Not sure I understand that post either.
In my initial post, I mentioned the advanced tab in properties.
To which Icon are you referring?
Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 09:44:00 pm »

Is the WDM bit rate selectable?
Win 10 Pro shows 16 bit 2 channel, even after for instance, selecting 24/48 in the Advanced Tab under Properties.

No, not really.

As you know the WDM is an input to MC, from an external source.

If the external source can output audio in Exclusive Mode, then the WDM will operate in Exclusive Mode, and it will accept the bit rate that the source provides. This is good, because it means that Windows doesn't muck around with your audio, and all up/downmixing and DSP is done in MC.

If the external source cannot output audio in Exclusive Mode, then the WDM will operate in Shared Mode. In that case, the Windows Sounds Mixer will remix the audio from the external source to the format specified in the Advanced Tab of the WDM Properties dialogue. You will notice that the Default Format setting in that Tab specifically says it is used when running in Shared Mode. This is not ideal, and for best results this setting should be set to match the external source audio attributes, so that the Windows Sound Mixer doesn't remix your audio, but passes it unchanged to MC. Again, that way all up/downmixing and DSP is done in MC.

If the WDM is in Shared Mode, and is also set as the Default Windows Audio Device, then Windows will mix in other sounds the PC produces, such as System Sounds (beeps and maximise/minimise sound effects for example). The Windows Sound Mixer will then output in the format specified on the Advanced Tab of the WDM Properties, as above. The WDM needs to be set as the Default Windows Audio Device if the external source can only output to that device. For example, the Chrome Browser only outputs to the Default Windows Audio Device.

So the best results are achieved if the external source can select the WDM as the audio output device, and it can be put in Exclusive Mode.

The worst results occur if the external source can neither select the WDM as the audio output device or be put in Exclusive Mode, in which case the Windows Sound Mixer gets involved, and you have less control over the total audio path.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

denton1972

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 04:50:45 am »

I do not understand where "16 bit" appears.
Pages: [1]   Go Up