INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI connection, GPU or Mobo?  (Read 2051 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
HDMI connection, GPU or Mobo?
« on: July 22, 2018, 10:41:24 pm »

Hi

In order to have PowerDVD play UHD optical discs it needs an Intel CPU according to their system requirements. If I have a GTX 1060 graphics card for doing my rips connected to my TV by the card's HDMI, will the CPU route via the  graphics card for the PowerDVD output? Or do I need a second HDMI cable from the Mobo to my TV?

robt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: HDMI connection, GPU or Mobo?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:35:40 am »

Cant answer your question but have you considered ripping to an mkv file? Then you wont need PowerDVD and you can use the GTX graphics with MC to play back.

Have a look at whats going on in the forums at makemkv.com

Z0001

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 05:30:38 pm »

Thanks

Yes, I do rip to mkv, but it seems that the prospect of being able to continue to do this for 4k UHD discs may becoming limited with AACS 2.1, so I want the option to play from a disc with a licenced player, and PowerDVD seems the only choice.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:45:30 am »

PowerDVD needs specific intel processor ... those that can run secure environment to prvent decryption key beeing stolen (fat good that will do if ppl run unupdated Windows and exploit meltdown)

if you have required CPU ... dont think it will prevent you from using NVidia hdmi output ... though unlikely it will use gpu to do complex upscaling
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Z0001

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 04:08:40 am »

So you are saying that when playing an mkv rip the the Nvidia processing would always be by passed? Seems odd. Would there be a file association that would need to be set for this?

Does anyone use PowerDVD for UHD discs and MC for Blu-ray rips to the TV via one HDMI cable from the graphics card?

Thanks

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:04:08 am »

So you are saying that when playing an mkv rip the the Nvidia processing would always be by passed? Seems odd. Would there be a file association that would need to be set for this?

Does anyone use PowerDVD for UHD discs and MC for Blu-ray rips to the TV via one HDMI cable from the graphics card?

Thanks

Outputting to NVidia HDMI and using Nvidi GPU are not the same thing.

I tried PowerDVD … didn't like it … so did not buy it. What PowerDVD do before playing UHD disk is:

1. check if you have required Intel CPU to run secure environment
2. check your HDMI output for HDCP compliance (NVidia HDMI does comply)
3. check that receiving device on other end of HDMI is also HDCP compliant

In theory running in secure environment prevents decryption key beeing stolen ... and HDCP compliance prevents recording directly from HDMI output ... in reality both things failed to do what they were ment to ... but it does not stop Big Studios to enforce these rules on PowerDVD (not easy for average customer to bypass those securities)

Whether PowerDVD will use NVidia GPU to do any processing (decoding or scaling or other stuff) is not known to me. But as HDMI ports of NVidia cards are HDCP compliant (need to check specific version of HDCP for UHD compliance), PowerDVD can output video to those ports.

As for playing MKV and using GPU to do it ... that entiry depend on what player you using. If you use RedOctober Standard, I believe it can only use GPU to decode videos ... if ypu use RedOctober HQ (aka MadVR), it can milk your GPU dry while upscaling videos.

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Z0001

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 05:07:11 am »

I guess what this comes down to is whether onboard and discreet graphics can be used for separate applications. Ie, I put an encrypted UHD disc in and press play in PowerDVD and it plays (via intel onboard graphics) or I access an mkv file or iso or whatever file in MC, press play and it plays via the discreet graphics. Both via ONE HDMI cable.

Can that be done?

This is all based on the assumption that UHD encryption gets better and is not solved, and our personal owned media can then only be played with PowerDVD on a computer.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 05:35:40 am »

I guess what this comes down to is whether onboard and discreet graphics can be used for separate applications. Ie, I put an encrypted UHD disc in and press play in PowerDVD and it plays (via intel onboard graphics) or I access an mkv file or iso or whatever file in MC, press play and it plays via the discreet graphics. Both via ONE HDMI cable.

Can that be done?

This is all based on the assumption that UHD encryption gets better and is not solved, and our personal owned media can then only be played with PowerDVD on a computer.

Yeah ... I believe it can (did not try myself) ... so both PowerDVD and MC output through one HDMI port on your NVidia

Z0001

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 07:50:55 am »

Thanks

Anyone done this and can confirm?

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up