INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Scaling Question  (Read 902 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Windows Scaling Question
« on: August 22, 2018, 08:28:53 am »

When I playback Deadpool 2 UHD via BluRay menus, HDR kicks in, but the video is scaled from 4K to 1080p.  Does not happen just playing the main movie directly from the m2ts file or from an mkv.  madvr reports the video as 4k resolution, both the menu and the movie itself.  it also reports it is scaling the playback.

Edit:

another interesting problem:

playing an "extra" off the X-Files Season 2, the deleted scene video plays back in "fast forward" but the audio plays normally.  this happens with all the "extras" whereas the episodes selected from the blu-ray menu play back just fine.
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Windows Scaling Question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:35:03 am »

@TheShoe : My Deadpool 2 UHD is all good.  The only time I've seen stuff like this was post chaning DPI settings on the Desktop and then not doing a reboot.  No idea on the X-Files as I don't have that one.
JRiver CEO Elect

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:05:44 am »

are you playing the extended cut of deadpool or the theatrical?  for me it is the extended cut.  have not tried the other.

i am going to try another UHD folder rip today and see if it occurs across titles.

Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:21:02 am »

The only reason that would happen is if your screen is not actually on 4K, or your DPI setup is screwed up. Unrelated to Blu-ray playback either way.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 05:41:42 am »

The only way I can get it working (so far) is to uncheck "Override High DPI scaling behavior" and when checked is set to "Application" .  This is under Compatibility->Change High DPI settings.

This setting, when unchecked shows everything I playback is always scaled to 4K, as reported by madVr.

I have this typically checked because it was the only way that everything would be rendered in the original resolution.

Have Display Automatic Change Mode in JRiver set to "OFF", but does not matter if set to "ON" or not.  Above still applies.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 05:42:20 am »

You should never mess with those settings. If you do, you're on your own. If they are changed Windows will forcefully override  anything MC or madVR try to do.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 06:00:19 am »

i would think setting it to Application has the effect of JRiver, not Windows, having control.

But in any case, if I don't mess with that setting, JRiver always shows a scale to 4K via madVr, i.e. "scale0,0,1080,1920 -> 0,0,3840,2160", even if the source is 1080.

All the video files in the folder for this movie are showing 3840x2160 resolution.  and this only occurs with blu-ray menu playback.

guess I'll keep fiddling around then...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 06:49:16 am »

If you playback an mkv that is 1080p, does madMr show the "Draw" as 0,0,1080,1920 ?

Unless I tweak the DPI setting to tell Windows to allow JRiver to control it, everything has a "Draw" that is scaled up to 4k (default resolution of my desktop).

I have the Automatic Change Mode in JRiver set to "Off" and I tell madVr to switch to matching display mode...

quick note: in message I just sent re: meant madVr shows "scale" not "Draw".

Draw is what I want; Scale is what happens

So FWIW, I do have Windows Scaling set to 200% on my 4K PJ Setup (so I can read the desktop) but that is all.  I use MC to do the display rate switching as if done by MC it happens prior to playback (if you use madVR it happens post playback commencing and weird stuff can happen).  Attached is screen shot of what madVR reports for both a BD and UHD playback (title mode).  So UHD --> 4K screen is "drawn" and FHD --> 4K screen is "scaled"... which is what you want for madVR to do the scaling of Luma as well as Chroma instead of your TV.

I do notice that when coming back from sleep etc, I need to reboot my HTPC from time to time as the scaling is all stuffed (could be that windows does some update when the screen is off).  I've also seen if you play around with DPI settings in windows you need to reboot or weird stuff happens.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 09:36:43 am »

But in any case, if I don't mess with that setting, JRiver always shows a scale to 4K via madVr, i.e. "scale0,0,1080,1920 -> 0,0,3840,2160", even if the source is 1080.

This is whats supposed to happen if you're on a 4K screen.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 06:05:06 am »

i have it working now.  some background:

i have two profiles in madvr.   one for 3D and one for 2D. 

the 3D profile lists only 1080p resolutions, and this stops any madvr scaling as reported by madvr.

the 2D profile lists 720p on up to 4K resolutions and this stops madvr from scaling 2D content to 4K always.   eg 1080p is not scaled.  4K is not either.  however, playback of movies from blu-ray menu playback in this instance always caused madvr to scale to 1080p.  do not understand why.

added a 3rd profile, 4K2D-bluraymenu, removed any hard coded resolutions, and now blu-ray menu playback using this profile no longer scales 4K down to 1080p.

i have a small rule set up in madvr that determines which profile to use, largely based on my own file naming convention.

interestingly with blu-ray menu playback, madvr variables don’t work, eg HDR, fileExt, srcWidth....   so i made the 4K2D profile the “default” since the others are chosen by fileExt, eg. “.mvc.3D” for the 3D profile and “.2D.mkv” for 2D

so now i am back to no scaling at all based at least on what is reported.  this is good because i did not want to have to go back to scaled 1080p content to 4K.  i think my tv pic looks better where it is doing the scaling.

Pages: [1]   Go Up