INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: two of everything  (Read 498 times)

OlTinEars

two of everything
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:58:52 pm »

evening folks, new user here.

i imported all my music files on startup from a specified folder, but the library is showing two of all songs per album.  leaves me a littly, ummm,  bumfuzzled as we say in these parts.

should i start over and do something different, or is there an easy way to erase the duplicates?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

regards,
OlTinEars

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: two of everything
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 12:09:11 am »

Usually if that sort of thing happens it is because MC has found each file via two different paths. This can particularly be true if you installed MC and allowed it to "Find all your media files" by doing the scan of your PC that starts soon after your first launch MC. Most experienced users stop that automatic scan and set up MC before the first import.

For example, if you had your music in D:\Music\ and also pointed the Windows Music Library "This PC > Music" to the same location, then MC will find the files twice.
Another example, if you had Windows Shares set up, with one called \\MyPC\Music pointing to D:\Music, and also allowed MC to scan D:\Music, then MC will find the files twice.

It doesn't really matter that MC found the same files, if it was via two separate paths, if will import them twice. This is because MC allows files with exactly the same name to reside in different folders, and will still treat them as different files.

At least I think that is what has happened. It has been a long time since I did an initial import!

The best solution is probably to turn off Auto Import under "Options > Library & Folders > Run auto import in background".
Then clear the existing Library, using "the Clear Library" function available when you select the library name under Playing Now.
Then set up Auto Import to look in one or more locations for your music, but without duplication.
Then run Auto Import, and if you are happy, turn Auto Import in the background back on.

The Wiki has lots of information on Import, Library, Library Manager, and so on. Worth a thorough read: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: two of everything
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 10:13:50 am »

Another thing that can cause the duplicates is cue files...

If you have the tracks, and a cue file, MC will import both, and display the tracks detailed in the cue file as duplicates.

If it's that, you would untick cue files when setting up your auto import options.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up