INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using ROHQ for 4K HDR with Ryzen 5 2400G APU - tested  (Read 3770 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Using ROHQ for 4K HDR with Ryzen 5 2400G APU - tested
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:53:05 pm »

Has anyone here tried 4K HDR using the integrated Vega 11 graphics of the AMD 2400G APU? It's looking like a great alternative to Intel based systems, especially if an additional graphics card is not needed for the best video playback. This latter is what I am trying to determine before I spend $$ to make a test system.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Anyone using ROHQ for 4K HDR with Ryzen 5 2400G APU?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »

So I made a test system, since there is so little data out there on how well this will work.

So far, so good. With a very few tweaks of MadVR from within JRiver Media Center 24, 4K HDR playback has been close to flawless. I get maybe up to 2 dropped frames as a 4K HDR video from my NAS is playing, but at the very start where it is unnoticeable. I have only tested with 23.976 fps material so far though, but that is really all I need to be flawless for now.

I find the Radeon software suite to be more or less useless, unless I am doing something wrong(?). There seems to be no way to change the refresh rate from within that panel. I was finally able to change refresh rates via some convoluted method before relegating the whole AMD experience as useless for video. I am quite happy with the results so far, but need to test with upscaled 1080p, 720p, and SD material too, as well as different frame rate files.

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Gigabyte AB350N Gaming Wifi
16 GB PC3200 G.Skill RAM
480 GB Adata SSD, which I do not trust
Mini-Box PicoPSU 192W
JRiver Media Center 24: Red October HQ; Hardware acceleration On, Refresh Rate Switching On
MadVR render settings: Delay Playback start until Render queue is full

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: Using ROHQ for 4K HDR with Ryzen 5 2400G APU - tested
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 05:40:45 am »

Sorry ... cannot comment much  ... been always in green camp

If HTPC has to be in same room as me ... I would probably go with HDPLEX case with GF1060 ... it’s not cheap, but maximum power I can get with passive cooling (my current 1070 fan noise when pushing MadVR to it limit ... is loudish)

If recall correctly HDPLEX support up to RX560 for passive cooling.

PS: NVidia control panel allows you easily to switch refresh rate that your display supports (no I don’t work for NVidia :) ... just sticking to what used to work for me)

Never bother switching refresh rates for desktop though ... for movie I just let MC or MadVR do it for me automatically
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 10:24:29 am »

Hi Tij
I currently make tens of high-end PCs for audiophiles each year, and I have been making my own HTPCs for well over a decade now. I am familiar with most components, sticking with Intel+Nvidia for a long time for personal use. I am familiar with the Nvidia control panel, although not an advanced expert in some of the settings. For my customers and the interest of keeping things consistent, I use Streacom cases; the need for an external PSU brick all but precludes the use of a video card. Therefore I was looking for a 4K HDR solution that is CPU/APU only. Hence my initial question about the Ryzen 5 2400G, and eventual testing. I think a product based around it is possible, but I have to do more testing on upscaling 1080p or smaller video to optimise it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 11:57:45 pm »

PS: NVidia control panel allows you easily to switch refresh rate that your display supports (no I don’t work for NVidia :) ... just sticking to what used to work for me)

Never bother switching refresh rates for desktop though ... for movie I just let MC or MadVR do it for me automatically

I currently own a GTX 1050Ti, two GTX 1060s (3B and 6GB), a GTX 960 somewhere and three GTX1070s! For discrete cards, I am an Nvidia fanboy (too?).
The problem with the Ryzen was that the display switching was not happening automatically, because the system seemed to be unaware that the Ryzen allowed it. Through a convoluted method I found where the permitted modes were and then it seemed to work okay. I guess I have to do some more testing to make sure it's all stable enough for mainstream release.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 07:00:33 am »

Hi Tij
I currently make tens of high-end PCs for audiophiles each year, and I have been making my own HTPCs for well over a decade now. I am familiar with most components, sticking with Intel+Nvidia for a long time for personal use. I am familiar with the Nvidia control panel, although not an advanced expert in some of the settings. For my customers and the interest of keeping things consistent, I use Streacom cases; the need for an external PSU brick all but precludes the use of a video card. Therefore I was looking for a 4K HDR solution that is CPU/APU only. Hence my initial question about the Ryzen 5 2400G, and eventual testing. I think a product based around it is possible, but I have to do more testing on upscaling 1080p or smaller video to optimise it.

audiophiles? ... lol ... picky lot

if using brick power ... thats gonna limit choice of GPU for sure ... but can use faneless PSU, like Silverstone NightJar SST-NJ520 or Seasonic SSR-600TL ... that should give plenty power for GPU

HDPLEX H5 case have enough room for those PSU ... so theoretically can put in i7 with 1060

https://www.hdplex.com/blog/hdplex-fanless-silent-pc-review/silent-gaming-pc-with-passively-cooled-gtx-970-in-hdplex-2nd-h5-fanless-pc-case-temp-under-70c-under-four-hours-3d-testing/

can buy ready made but expensive

https://silentpc.com/gaming-pcs/h5-fanless-gaming-pc

i personally would buy from HDPLEX directly and assemble myself ... probably i5 and reduce power to 1080

unfortunately ... spent all my budget this year on Supermicro NAS ... wife wont give more lol
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:29:46 am »

We will never use an internal PSU, for the audio systems at least.
As you say, audiophiles are picky, and they do not want the ripple noise and EMI within the chassis.
I know all about HD-Plex - they are one of our suppliers, but not for cases.

Anyway, the Ryzen is working well so far. Still need to test with the 1080p and lower upscaling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up