INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way of stopping old albums appearing as recent albums?  (Read 2604 times)

yukibarr

• Junior Woodchuck
Is there a way of stopping old albums appearing as recent albums?
« on: September 15, 2018, 07:10:51 am »

My albums made of a single .flac file + a .cue file keep popping up at the top of my 'recent albums' view. I posted a query about this some time ago and the reply indicated that this happens due to an some bug in the .cue file. Just wondering if anyone managed to find a way to overcome this issue?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there a way of stopping old albums appearing as recent albums?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 03:19:00 pm »

I don't use .cue files so I don't know about that, but this might help...

The same issue arises if you re-import an album for any reason.  What I do on my system is I created a new library field, Date Acquired, and I set that for all of my albums.  Then I construct my views/playlists to use that field instead of date imported.

Because my field is static and not subject to change when re-importing, or because of cue bugs, things stay where they should.

Not the exact fix you want, but it might be a workaround for you, less drastic than avoiding cue files.

yukibarr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 05:02:54 am »

What I do on my system is I created a new library file, Date Acquired, and I set that for all of my albums.  Then I construct my views/playlists to use that field instead of date imported
I tried to follow your instructions but couldn't make it work, I haven't managed to follow your suggestion, i might be going about it the wrong way. Would you mind giving me step by step instructions?

wer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 11:11:04 pm »

1. Click Options->Library & Folders->Manage Library Fields
2. Click Add New Field
3. Fill out the following fields:
   Name: Date Acquired
   Display:  Date Acquired
   Data Type:  Date
   Relational: Not Relational
   Edit Type: Standard
   Save in file tags:  Checked
4. Click OK.

You now have a new field called Date Acquired, which you can set for any of your files.

5. Tag some music files, make sure the Date Acquired field is visible, and fill it in with the date of your choice.

6. If you want this to really work properly, you need to fill out the Date Acquired field for all your music files.

7. Go to the recent albums view that you referred to in your original post, and change the sorting order:
   Click the drop down arrow at the top of the tab, and click:
   Sort by->Date Acquired

Your view will now be sorted based on the date information you input into your new field.  This info will never change unless you manually change it.  It will be saved in the tags, so even if you remove the files from the library and reimport, the Acquired Date (and thus the sort order) will be maintained.

When you acquire new albums, fill out the date as part of your import process.

That's it!

yukibarr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 12:58:49 pm »

5. Tag some music files, make sure the Date Acquired field is visible, and fill it in with the date of your choice.

6. If you want this to really work properly, you need to fill out the Date Acquired field for all your music files.

When you acquire new albums, fill out the date as part of your import process.

That's it!
Many thanks for taking the time to reply and to talk me through it step by step. I have thousands of albums and i don't think it would be practical to fill out the Date Acquired field for all my music files. If i am honest i wouldn't want to have enter the date acquired for every album i import in the future. That would be too labor intensive. i do appreciate the effort and time taken to help me.

wer

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 08:39:05 pm »

You're mainly concerned that they're not regarded as new/recent, so you could simply mass-tag all your existing albums with an "old" acquired date.  A few seconds and its over, and they would never show up as recent again.

Also, if you look at the options under Configure Auto-Import (File->Library->Import) (check the wiki) you will see that you can have MC automatically fill out any field (including your new acquired date) as needed when new files are import, so there is no need to ever do it manually in the future.

Good luck...
Pages: [1]   Go Up