INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening a file from JRiver library to an external media player like VLC  (Read 1149 times)

carlismysecondname

• Junior Woodchuck

At the moment, the options menu in Linux does not have a "Files Types" section. However, you can set what program to open particular file types with using Windows. What you can do is create a backup of your settings in Windows and then restore them to JRiver in Linux. That way, I was able to set some file types to open into "External Program (default)" e.g. your default media player like VLC or photo viewer specifically set in Linux.

What I would like is to be able to do is choose between playing a file directly within JRiver or sent/downloaded and sent to my default application in Linux. While you can set the playback method as "Ask at playback time", my default program in Windows points to an application in drive C:\...
Obviously, it won't play with that path but you also cannot change this in the options menu in the Linux version of JRiver.
Is there actually a way for me to use the "Send To (external)" right click option to my default application in Linux? It isn't clear to me how I'm supposed to enter the parameters here as compared to Windows.

FYI: the MAJOR reason I want to do this is because JRiver (frustratingly) is still even today unable to play smartphone home videos in their correct orientation unlike the majority of other media players out there like VLC, PowerDVD, media player classic etc. Kind of a GLARING annoyance really, esp. if you have a kid (or lots of videos taken with a smartphone) and all the videos you have of him/her play back sideways. I mean, c'mon! we already have UHD playback but this still not yet? Eh, sorry for the minor rant.

*I also noticed that if the file is located on a network, say a 4GB mp4 or 1GB ifo, JRiver will download the whole file first before playing to the default linux program (kind of makes sense). However, if the file is on a local or external USB drive, it will automatically play without the long wait (also makes sense).
Pages: [1]   Go Up