INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with subtitles in Blu Ray menu mode [madVR]  (Read 2792 times)

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Problems with subtitles in Blu Ray menu mode [madVR]
« on: September 28, 2018, 11:16:57 am »

As advised me
Try deleting the content of the [Playback Info] tag for the Blu-ray. That contains the subtitle information.

If that doesn't work, or you have questions about how, start a new thread to ask the question.

I tried to delete the content in Playback Info, but I continue to see the subtitles, in Blu Ray menu mode, in the center-left of the screen instead of at the bottom as it is disabling the menus.

Will it be a problem of madvr or MC?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Problems with subtitles in Blu Ray menu mode
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 11:30:19 am »

In menu mode, the Blu-ray itself controls the position of the subtitles, and it also cannot easily be overriden. Hence, its quite possible that they are meant to be there.
Do the menus themself show in the proper position?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 12:22:51 pm »

in fact it is all moved to the left ....

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 12:24:46 pm »

Can you make a screenshot?

Which exact version of MC are you using? ROHQ?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 03:32:27 pm »

Also - what is the movie name / is it is disc specific?
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 10:31:52 pm »

See Lello, ask in the right place and you get the attention of the masters of Blu-ray, Hendrik and Jmone!

In addition to the above, have you modified madVR settings? I don't think this will be an issue, as the Blu-ray menu is in control, but it would be good to know for diagnosis of the issue.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 01:06:48 am »

Discovered what the problem was! ;D

You have to know that I project on a 2.39: 1 screen and my projector does not have lens memory. Therefore, when I discovered this wonderful solution https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,101350.0.html I set the resolution of my video card in 1920x812 and I set madvr as the attached image. In this way, 16: 9 movies are inside the screen, while those in 2.35: 1 are full-screen.

However, with 16: 9 movies, the menus and subtitles are perfect, while in the 2.35: 1 format they move to the left.

At this point I just have to disable the menus  :-[ unless there are other solutions that I do not know.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 06:26:19 am »

Yeah aspect ratio changes likely won't play well with Blu-ray Menus or Menu-based subtitles, since they are specifically tailored for the 16:9 Blu-ray picture, and positioned quite absolute. Not sure what we can do about that right now.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lello

• MC Beta Team
Re: Problems with subtitles in Blu Ray menu mode [madVR]
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 09:24:32 am »

I found out that in Anydvd there is the possibility to manage the blu ray menus, and it would seem to be made just for me (subtitle 16: 9 on screen 21: 9).

For how many tests he has done, however, I can only move the subtitles vertically but not horizontally: has anyone succeeded?

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: Problems with subtitles in Blu Ray menu mode [madVR]
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 01:21:34 pm »

Discovered what the problem was! ;D

You have to know that I project on a 2.39: 1 screen and my projector does not have lens memory. Therefore, when I discovered this wonderful solution https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,101350.0.html I set the resolution of my video card in 1920x812 and I set madvr as the attached image. In this way, 16: 9 movies are inside the screen, while those in 2.35: 1 are full-screen.

However, with 16: 9 movies, the menus and subtitles are perfect, while in the 2.35: 1 format they move to the left.

At this point I just have to disable the menus  :-[ unless there are other solutions that I do not know.
i tried 16:9 bluray with black bars that have subs in active video ... and when choosing madvr “move to bottom” everything looks correct

that sounds like you have your bluray movies at 1920x812? ... aka bluray rip where video was cropped to remove black bars ... if that movie includes original PGS subtitle from bluray that could be problematic as PGS subtitle positioning on blurays are for 1920x1080

are subtitles PGS subtitles with that rip?

MadVR does not render subtitles ... it just overlays subtitle renderer output on top of video ... so MC subtitle rederer must be trying to fit subtitles made for 1.77:1 to 2.xx:1 resulting in what you are seeing

my guess ... image base subtitle only specify top and left coordinates for positioning ... so in your case left position got “scaled to left” (stretched from 1.77 to 2.xx) ... but subtitle image itself was not scaled (if you only scale horizontally it gets squished ... if scale both horizontally and vertically it gets huge ... so MC probably decide not to scale sub image)

AnyDVD subtitle renderer probably does not do aspect ratio change ... so my guess is you adjusting subtitle position by shifting it up

possible solution is to rip subtitles to SRT
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up