INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VIDEO_TS file issues: MC only recognizing part of DVD  (Read 1020 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
VIDEO_TS file issues: MC only recognizing part of DVD
« on: October 06, 2018, 06:55:43 pm »

I have a ripped DVD that will not load properly in MC. There are three films on the DVD and MC only loads one of them when I drag the whole VIDEO_TS folder into the program. How do I get it to open the menu screen so I can select the other two films?

It works on VLC, so it's not the files.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: VIDEO_TS file issues: MC only recognizing part of DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 10:09:53 pm »

When I drag a VIDEO_TS directory onto MC, it plays and opens the DVD menu. So there is something different about your DVD, maybe just that it has multiple films on it.
What is the DVD?
Does it open the DVD menu if you just play the original disc?

Also, why are you dragging and dropping? If you have the DVD ripped, just import it into MC then play it. That may work even though drag and drop doesn't.

Also, are you using an IR Remote Control? Once any title on the DVD is playing, press the Menu button on the remote. That should open the DVD menu. If it has one.

Also, did you try pressing the >| button once the first Title is playing, to skip to the next movie?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Denti

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:23:24 pm »

Looks like it has something to do with the fact that I'm playing it over the network. i'm trying to solve this, but it's not yet working. Something to do with network mapping... anyone want to guide me through this?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 11:56:14 am »

Drag and drop should work fine, I do it all the time.
To use dvd menus over a network your mapped drive has to be the same letter as the drive on your server.

Denti

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 12:05:59 pm »

Yeah, but with permissions and sharing settings being so complicated, it took forever. Still: I can't play the DVD now without constant pauses, which never happens with other videos on the network. I'm giving up.

TorqW

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 11:11:06 am »

Might be able to help here.
Is the file you're looking to play on a windows "storage space" (parity) set up?
No idea if they ever fixed it, but playing a Video_TS folder resulted in meltdown as you describe.
Try moving it to a standard (non-Stroage Space) HDD and see if it works better.

All my DVD's are on a Simple volume (which I back up regularly) and they work fine.

Denti

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 06:49:21 pm »

I don't think it's the network. I put the files on a thumb drive and plugged it directly into the PC running MC. Same stuttering. I ended up just burning a DVD. Why should I have to do that?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 07:16:12 pm »

Did it play properly from the burned DVD?

It would be strange if it did, but didn't play properly from a thumb drive plugged into the PC. Very strange. Unless you changed formats when you burned the DVD, which you may not even be aware of. The burning software could have just reduced the size of the files, changed format, or something.

Anyway, my Drag and Drop test above was done over the network, just from a network share, without the same drive names being specified on both PCs, just with a Share on the Client PC that accessed the correct folder on the Server PC. MC played it fine.

If your installation won't play a DVD correctly via the network or from a thumb drive, look to your MC settings.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Denti

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 08:00:03 pm »

Yep, played perfectly from the DVD.

I had found googling that DVDs couldn't be played properly through MC, so I gave up. Am I wrong?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 12:01:22 am »

Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. MC will play DVDs perfectly. https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DVD

I just played one on my Workstation installation of MC. There was a little stuttering as the disc started, but then it settled and played fine. VLC had worse stuttering. But then for the disc I used I get a bit of stuttering no matter where I play it.

In the past the DVD needed to be decrypted first, but that isn't the case these days. Microsoft components included in Windows handle the issue these days, I believe. Or maybe it is one of the public domain software components MC uses. Doesn't matter, it works. I don't run any decryption software on my Workstation. The Wiki on ripping DVDs still says the DVD must be unencrypted, but I think that was a bad edit when the page for Blu-rays was added. Besides, if you have ripped the DVD no doubt you have decrypted it.

I also just ripped the DVD using MC, and it plays fine, including the DVD menu.

Blu-rays are different and must be decrypted for MC to play them. Something like AnyDVD or DVDfab to decrypt it on the fly for you does the job, then MC will play it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up