INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I limit the sampling frequency of converted DSF files?  (Read 940 times)

rippolito

• Junior Woodchuck
How can I limit the sampling frequency of converted DSF files?
« on: October 10, 2018, 06:34:57 pm »

I posted this request on another subject thread a couple of days ago...

==============
I have been ripping my SACDs via an Oppo 103 player and some software.  The software outputs Sony DSF-format files:  5644 kbps for two-channel, and 16934 kbps for multi-channel.  The files play via Media Center v24.0.53 on my mac, and they sound terrific.

I'm running into a problem when I try to play the files on my music system.  For normal, non-DSD files, I can play them from my computer, wireless, to my Oppo via DLNA.  The Oppo converts the files to analog and sends it to my preamp.  When I attempt the same flow with the DSD files, the DLNA connection gets made (because I can see that in the MC panel), but all I get is static.

Does anyone have any experience in bitstreaming to an Oppo, and if so, what would you recommend I try?

Thank you in advance...
Ron
==============

After some back and forth on the Oppo 103 forum at AVS Forum, I decided to try to convert the files via Media Center.  To do that, I did the following...

- in Tools >Options> configure DLNA, I set Audio mode to 'original'.  Audio Format says PCM 24-bit in greyed-out font
- in Advanced, I unchecked the box that says 'Bitstream DSD'

When I did that, I sent the files via DLNA (wireless) to my Oppo 103.  I immediately got audio output, and it was outstanding.

When I sent the files via DLNA (wireless) to my Sony x800 UHD blu-ray player, I still didn't get any audio output.  When I looked at the display, it reported that the PCM was 24-bit at 176.4 kHz, at a bandwidth of 8.5 MHz.  My guess is that either the overall bandwidth or the high sampling rate exceed what that player can handle.

My questions are these...

- Does anyone have a suggestion for getting those DSF files to play via DLNA through the Oppo 103 to my preamp?
- Why did setting the Audio mode to 'original' make the format unselectable?
- Do you think I will be able to hear a difference between the DSF files and 24-bit PCM at 176.4 kHz?
- Is there a better way to accomplish this?
- How can I down convert to something my Sony x800 player can handle (in other words, can I set a max sampling rate for the PCM output)?

Thank you in advance...
Ron

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I limit the sampling frequency of converted DSF files?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 02:04:35 pm »

This question is all about MC configuration with DLNA and DSD.  This Mac forum doesn't get a lot of attention; it's mostly Mac specific stuff.  You would probably get more help posting this exact same question in the Media Network forum.  I would think someone there would know some answers to your questions.

Brian.

Smithers

• Recent member
Re: How can I limit the sampling frequency of converted DSF files?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:38:21 pm »

I posted this request on another subject thread a couple of days ago...

==============
I have been ripping my SACDs via an Oppo 103 player and some software.  The software outputs Sony DSF-format files:  5644 kbps for two-channel, and 16934 kbps for multi-channel.  The files play via Media Center v24.0.53 on my mac, and they sound terrific.

I'm running into a problem when I try to play the files on my music system.  For normal, non-DSD files, I can play them from my computer, wireless, to my Oppo via DLNA.  The Oppo converts the files to analog and sends it to my preamp.  When I attempt the same flow with the DSD files, the DLNA connection gets made (because I can see that in the MC panel), but all I get is static.

Does anyone have any experience in bitstreaming to an Oppo, and if so, what would you recommend I try?

Thank you in advance...
Ron
==============

After some back and forth on the Oppo 103 forum at AVS Forum, I decided to try to convert the files via Media Center.  To do that, I did the following...

- in Tools >Options> configure DLNA, I set Audio mode to 'original'.  Audio Format says PCM 24-bit in greyed-out font
- in Advanced, I unchecked the box that says 'Bitstream DSD'

When I did that, I sent the files via DLNA (wireless) to my Oppo 103.  I immediately got audio output, and it was outstanding.

When I sent the files via DLNA (wireless) to my Sony x800 UHD blu-ray player, I still didn't get any audio output.  When I looked at the display, it reported that the PCM was 24-bit at 176.4 kHz, at a bandwidth of 8.5 MHz.  My guess is that either the overall bandwidth or the high sampling rate exceed what that player can handle.

My questions are these...

- Does anyone have a suggestion for getting those DSF files to play via DLNA through the Oppo 103 to my preamp?
- Why did setting the Audio mode to 'original' make the format unselectable?
- Do you think I will be able to hear a difference between the DSF files and 24-bit PCM at 176.4 kHz?
- Is there a better way to accomplish this?
- How can I down convert to something my Sony x800 player can handle (in other words, can I set a max sampling rate for the PCM output)?

Thank you in advance...
Ron

Hi there,

I had a problem a while back streaming DSD via DLNA to my Sony AVR. It may be a similar thing with Oppo or not? But anyway It should defo work with your Sony Blu Ray player...

Rather then bit streaming I found a fix in thishttps://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,109087.msg755256.html thread that lets me play DSD straight from my NAS to receiver via JRiver.

The fix I needed to do was mentioned here...

You might want to test to see if the mimetype is the issue.
In the MediaCenter file
FileAssociations.xml
under the audio section there is an entry:
<Item Name="dsf">audio/x-dsf</Item>
You could change x-dsf to x-dsd and see if that makes a difference.

I had to right click on the icon...

Then Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > Data > Default Resources then in textedit I changed the FileAssociations.xml as above to read <Item Name="dsf">audio/x-dsd</Item>

Just a thought? Hope you get a fix...
Pages: [1]   Go Up