INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a 4K HDR capable HTPC  (Read 5752 times)

1maynard

• World Citizen
Building a 4K HDR capable HTPC
« on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:50 pm »

Thinking of putting together a new HTPC that is 4K HDR capable. My goal is a system that can play and copy my UHD Bluray's and will be somewhat future proof. I also want to be able to run Red October HQ with no glitches. Here is a link to PC part picker with a build I have been considering. It is probably overkill but that is how I normally do things. Please look it over and provide any suggestions.
Thanks.https://pcpartpicker.com/user/1maynard/saved/6LbRJx

Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Building a 4K HDR capable HTPC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:32:40 am »

All good with one big exception.  Don't get the PIO drive, it can not rip UHD BD.  The list of what you want is here.  DeUHD supports both "Friendly" and "Official" while MakeMKV / AnyDVD HD only currently support "Friendly" drives.  Best bet is to get a "Friendly" drive.
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 02:41:07 am »

Also consider a Platinum rated power supply, rather than just Gold.

More efficient means less heat which means fewer fans or lower fan speed required.

But do also look at the other specifications, like hold up time, tolerances on voltages, and so on. Just the Platinum label isn't always good enough.

I don't think EVGA make their own power supplies either, but use an OEM. Maybe even Seasonic. Last time I bought a power supply I went with Seasonic as they made their own, and all the specs were excellent.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:25:09 pm »

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I know I need to spend some more time researching 4K HDR before I pull the trigger on my HTPC parts. Finding a friendly DVD drive might be the biggest issue based on some of the feedback comments on Amazon and Newegg. seems like many of the mfg's are now shipping with firmware installed that will not allow the disc to be copied.
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

rec head

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 01:17:09 pm »

Check out this thread on AVS https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2942740-ripping-uhd-4k-discs-makemkv-instructions-how-57.html

I bought a drive off of the user alexcoluzzi32. You should see if he still has any.

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32:45 pm »

Check out this thread on AVS https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2942740-ripping-uhd-4k-discs-makemkv-instructions-how-57.html

I bought a drive off of the user alexcoluzzi32. You should see if he still has any.

I was doing research on the MakeMKV forum the other day and found Alex Coluzzi's posting regarding his drives and ended up buying a friendly drive and an external enclosure from him.
As soon as it comes in I plan on trying to rip a UHD disc using my laptop that has a i7-7700 processor. Thanks for the tip.

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 09:45:16 am »

I received my Silverstone GD08 HTPC case today and also the LG WH16NS60 Internal Ultra HD  Blu-Ray Drive I ordered. I must say the GD08 is a very impressive HTPC case. It has room for up to 8ea 3.5 HD's, 2ea 2.5 SSD, 2ea 5.25 drives depending on the size of the graphic card used. It will accept matx up to eatx mother boards. Best thing is it is about the size of my Integra DRZ R1.1 AVR. Now to do some further research on a CPU/Motherboard to use. I might see how the new I7-9700 and the Z390 combo's work out before I order. I want this build to be somewhat future proof.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 03:54:24 pm »

Alex is a good guy. I have worked with him a few times.

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 06:03:04 am »

Alex is a good guy. I have worked with him a few times.

Yes he is. I was glad that he wanted to converse over the phone regarding the Friendly drive. I would much rather speak to a person than have to sent messages.

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:46:29 pm »

Well I just ordered the 4K HTPC from a local computer shop that I have used in the past. He is going to build me a HTPC for the same price as I can buy the parts my self and only charge me labor to assemble, test and install the operating system. He will use the Silverstone GD08 case and my DVD drive and EVGA 750 W Gold power supply I have. I upgraded the GPU to a GTX 1080 Ti, the GPU to the I7-8700K and we added a CPU cooler. He is also installing Win 10 pro with all of the bloat ware and snoopware turned off or disabled as much as possible. I ended up spending a few hundred more than I planned on but This system should be able to handle anything I throw at it without breaking a sweat. Hardest thing will be keeping the grand kids from gaming on it. I will follow up with a review when I get it up and running.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 02:42:54 pm »

Yeah that will not only be a tip notch HTPC but with the 8700K will also work well for as a MC Video Server.  My 8700K can real time transcode and stream UHD material (with the exception of Billy Lynn which is the only UHD @ 60fps BD). 
JRiver CEO Elect

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 07:17:20 pm »

Yeah that will not only be a tip notch HTPC but with the 8700K will also work well for as a MC Video Server.  My 8700K can real time transcode and stream UHD material (with the exception of Billy Lynn which is the only UHD @ 60fps BD).

Yes, that is what I am hoping for. I now need to get started on archiving my UHD Bluray's. I recently bought a 5 Tb HD to store my UHD rips. Since the Silverstone GD08 has room for up to eight 3.5 hard drives even with the large GTX 1080 Ti GPU I should be able to add 5 storage drives to the case to also use the PC as a media server and I can do away with my Probox four bay enclosure that I use for storage. I can't wait to start working with it. jmone, how about sharingsome information on your set up and what you are using to rip UHD BluRay's? I am looking for any help I can get to get started.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 11:34:26 pm »

It is really pretty straight forward once you have the right bits and you are all sorted on the HW Side.  You next need to decide on what Decrypter to use.  There is some more info in the original FAQ on UHD (now closed as it's old) - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112653.0.html - I have licences for all three (DeUHD, MakeMKV, AnyDVD HD).

The next decision is if you want to keep a full copy of your UHDs (aka Folder Rips) or if you want to remux the main title into MKVs.  I go with Full Folder Rips, others prefer MKVs.  For me I have AnyDVD HD (or DeUHD) running in the background and when I put a UHD in the Drive, MC asked if I want to Rip it and will then gather the Coverart, Metadata etc.  Nice, easy, and you have a full copy that will work with both MC's BD Menu playback and also "Title Playback" if you want to get straight to the main movie. 

You want to make the drive (or the main folder on that drive), a Network Share (eg \\MEDIA) so that clients can have direct access to the share and that will also reduce the amount of transcoding down to DLNA and Remote clients.  When you rip your discs, rip it to the \\MEDIA destination not the M:\ drive for example. This way all library server clients will have the same library access the media with the same path and you are goldern with all PC's running MC.

You then need to think about Drive Mgt.  I tend to buy the biggest HDD on the market at the time that is priced OK (latest purchase was 12TB HDD for under A$500) but these still fill up so I "pool" my drives as one big network share using Stablebit DrivePool.  My current main pool is 66TB.  I also backup the entire pool to a 2nd pool that has alot of my "older" drive in a 24 bay case in case of fire, theft, and accidental deletions. 
JRiver CEO Elect

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 11:26:48 am »

Thanks for the advice and info. I have been using MakeMKV for my DVD and BluRay rips. I will look into AnyDVD HD and get it installed when I receive the HTPC from the shop. I must say that I have been really impressed with the help I have received on this forum.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 03:59:49 pm »

If are are happy with MakeMKV and MKV containers then there is no need to get another decrypter, the same process will work for UHD.  FYI, MakeMKV can also "backup" a full structure if you want to go that way (or try it) for both BD and UHDBD.  The only difference is it is not a background process, rather you use MakeMKV, backup the folder structure then when finished just import the index.bdmv file into MC (then tag, coverart etc).
JRiver CEO Elect

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 04:32:02 pm »

Thanks, I will look into that also. I have never looked into a full structure backup with MakeMKV. More things to look into.

1maynard

• World Citizen
Re: Building a 4K HDR capable HTPC Update
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 08:58:42 am »

Yesterday I finally received my HTPC from my computer builder. All in all they did a good job except I was not happy with their cable management. It started up instantly when I tested it. I decided to install all of the other hard drives I now have in a Probox enclosure and while I have it opened up I decided to get a fan hub so all of the case fans can be controlled by the system fan headers. They hooked four of them up directly to the power supply and They are somewhat noisy since they run at full speed. I also ordered a Sata 4 in one power cable adapter to eliminate some clutter. The tech recommended a different GPU and they installed a EVGA GTX 1080 TI gaming addition. I looked up the price on Amazon, and it was about $300.00 more than the one I had picked out. We also went with the I7-8700K and a Cooler Master CPU cooler. He built it for the same money as the components I had picked out on PCPart picker so I am happy with the overall price. It is way more than I had initially planned on but it should be future proof for quite some time. If any body is interested I will post a picture when I have the cables sorted out. I decided to do a full clean install of MC 24 64 bit so I will have a little time to get it all sorted out. I can't wait to get it hooked up to my Integra DRX R1.1 AVR and Lg OLED 65 B6 TV and play some 4K video's

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 01:28:31 pm »

Sounds great!
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up