INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV user interface  (Read 1286 times)

ABA

• Recent member
TV user interface
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:02:20 am »

Hello,

A couple of issues that annoyes me with the TV user interface:

1. When watching a channel and pressing the Guide-button playback stops. I would prefer the playback to continue in the small window while I browse the guide. Pressing the Guide-button again should make MC revert to full screen playback.

2. When in the EPG and pressing OK on a program that is currently being aired, I would prefer MC to immediately start full screen playback rather than entering a sub-menu from where playback can be started.

Is it possible to custimize my settings to achieve this? I think that would improve the smoothness of using MC's TV functionality.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: TV user interface
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:39:17 am »

On 1. there is a Theater View setting "Pause video playback when entering Theater View".

On 2. There are many actions that people would want to take when selecting a program, we have no choice but to offer a menu.  You can press "Play" button instead of OK/Enter button to start playing immediately.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:28:00 am »

1. Thanks - that did the trick.

2. I am using a Harmony Elite remote set up as a WMC-compatible remote. It has a big OK-button in the middle, which I think equals pressing Enter on the keyboard. I would argue that from a usability standpoint the default action of pressing Enter/OK-button should be the most natural expected action in any given context (I realize that in itself can be a matter of discussion... ;)). Context menus should be accessable by other means - e.g. from the Info-button on a WMC-compatible remote (not sure what keyboard key that corresponds to). Again, the point here is trying to improve the everyday usability/behavior of MC

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 05:31:59 pm »

1. Thanks - that did the trick.

2. I am using a Harmony Elite remote set up as a WMC-compatible remote. It has a big OK-button in the middle, which I think equals pressing Enter on the keyboard. I would argue that from a usability standpoint the default action of pressing Enter/OK-button should be the most natural expected action in any given context (I realize that in itself can be a matter of discussion... ;)). Context menus should be accessable by other means - e.g. from the Info-button on a WMC-compatible remote (not sure what keyboard key that corresponds to). Again, the point here is trying to improve the everyday usability/behavior of MC
I would think that the Select/OK button should remain as is.  If you want to play the video, it seems that the play button is the right option.  For me, I very rarely watch live TV, so I am typically choosing something in the guide to record, not watch.  Of course, there are exceptions, but it has always seemed very intuitive to me to use the OK button to get into the program and make my selection of what I want to do.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 06:48:59 pm »

I'm with muzicman0. I rarely watch live TV, recording stuff to watch later most of the time.

Changing the OK button function would remove an annoyance for you... and add an annoyance for 10,478 other people. You want me to find the Info button to get to the menu? The smallest button on my Harmony? Which I've already mapped to something else?  :o

All software has a learning curve and requires a time to make actions natural. The current situation is logical. Ok for the menu, Play to play the program. Makes sense to me!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 11:54:29 pm »

Sounds like I am the minority on this....

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 10:32:18 am »

I have to agree with ABA on this as a family that watches tv a lot do make it easy since most htpc user who watch live tv not just recording it have come from windows media center which was very easy for familys to get grips with

just my opinion on this matter

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 03:32:08 pm »

I have to agree with ABA on this as a family that watches tv a lot do make it easy since most htpc user who watch live tv not just recording it have come from windows media center which was very easy for familys to get grips with

just my opinion on this matter

That’s where I am coming ffom as well... WMC that is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up