INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to convert Flac uncompressed to Flac compressed and transfer it to phone?  (Read 4108 times)

kimmo

• Recent member

I want to convert my uncompressed Flac files (1412 kpbs) to compressed Flac files and transfer them to my android phone.
Because the compressed Flac files takes much less space.
Is it possible?
How?
I have clicked on : Options > Conversion >Simultaneous conversion: 4 > Audio > Mode: Specified output format > Encoder: Flac Encoder.
Encoder Settings > compression level 8.
But then when I look at my phone the Flac files are the same size as in the library,
What should I do?

swiv3d

I cannot get any change to file size using the flac encoder - even converting to uncompressed wav then using flac encoder at level 8 makes no difference. However in the setup options if you reduce the bitrate to 16 bit it will compress dramatically. So I guess that is your answer.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I wonder if this is related to this fix in 24.0.23

6. Fixed: Encoding FLAC files in 64-bit Media Center would produce barely compressed files, instead of the expected compression

swiv3d

Certainly looks that way dtc.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Here is the original thread on this. Hendrik fixed it for ripping. Looks like it did not get fixed entirely for converting.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115742.msg799795.html#msg799795

swiv3d

Perhaps Hendrik will take a look at it.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Make sure the Handheld settings in Conversion -> Audio are set to "Mode: Specified output format". Any of the other options will just copy existing files if the target device can play them, ie. if it supports FLAC, then any and all FLAC files will be copied, and not re-compressed. Note that high bitdepth FLAC files can be quite sizeable.

Additionally, if you synced them once before, the converted files may be in the conversion cache, and changed settings not actually apply.
You might have to clear the conversion cache, its usually in your user profiles Music directory, but you can confirm the location in MC Settings -> File Locations -> Conversion Cache

I tested just now and I definitely get different file sizes depending on which FLAC compression Level I select.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

swiv3d

Tried this again being very careful of the settings and I could not detect any significant change in file size between level 6 rips and the level 8 converted files. So what can I be doing wrong? Windows 10 1809 64 bit with MC 24.0.58

Hendrik

• Administrator

The size difference between 6 and 8 is minimal at best, and can greatly depend on the content. The difference between 0 and 8 is only about 10% for me on CD-type content.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

As I understand it, a true uncompressed FLAC is different than a FLAC with compression level 0.  That is to say, a FLAC at compression level 0 is compressed, whereas an uncompressed FLAC is not compressed at all.

So the OP is looking for a fairly large difference in file size.  Probably on the order of (1.5 - 2.0) to 1 .

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Compression ratios depend on the source material, but this link has a couple of examples.  As Hendrik noted, the difference between o and 8 is often less than 10%.  Most people would be fine with flac 0 rather than flac 5 or 6 and the processing time to compress is much less.  Decompressing flac is basically the same for all levels of compression.

Uncompressed flac is basically wav with space for a tag header. Uncompressed flac can be as much as twice the size of even flac 0.  dBpoweramp is, I believe, the only software that creates uncompressed flac, although there may be others.  As far as I know, pretty much every flac decoder works fine with uncompressed flac.

https://z-issue.com/wp/flac-compression-level-comparison/

MusicHawk

Interesting discussion. Curious, I just did a random test, using MC 24.0.55 to create FLAC from WAV. (If .56 has changed the encoder my experiment might be worthless.)

The numbers will vary with the source track, I happened to have Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac open so that's what I used, knowing it is already a highly audio-compressed pop track.

WAV = 1411kbs, 37.9mb
FLAC 0 = 1021kbps, 27.4mb
FLAC 6 = 868kbps, 23.3mb

FLAC 0 is 27.4/37.9 or 72% of WAV size.
FLAC 6 is 23.3/37.9 or 61% of WAV size, and 23.3/27.4 or 85% of FLAC 0 size.

FLAC with even Level 0 compression is smaller than WAV, plus it has that helpful header space for user metadata.

But what Level of FLAC is the best? Comparing Level 0 to Level 6, with a large library, saving an additional 15% or even 10% of storage space can be significant. Other than the tiny difference in time to compress, is there any reason not to use Level 6, which MC declares is "recommended"?
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Hendrik

• Administrator

The level of FLAC compression does not adjust the audio. Its only a matter of how much time you are willing to spend on the encoding. At decode time, the required processing power for all FLAC compression levels is about equal, which is one of the nice features of FLAC - only encode time varies, decoding stays almost constant.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

kimmo

• Recent member

I cannot get any change to file size using the flac encoder - even converting to uncompressed wav then using flac encoder at level 8 makes no difference. However in the setup options if you reduce the bitrate to 16 bit it will compress dramatically. So I guess that is your answer.

How do I reduce the bitrate to 16 bit?

swiv3d

In the convert audio options screen at the bottom you will see bitdepth if supported by encoder - if you expand that option you can set it to 16bit. Also if the sample rate is high - above 44.1khtz you can select apply DSP settings and set the ouput format to 44.1 for the higher sample rates and this will also reduce file size. I am assuming here that your flac files are 24 bit or have high sampling rates. You could of course convert to mp3 at 320 kbits because in reality unless you have some really good hardware you are unlikely to tell the difference.

kimmo

• Recent member

In the convert audio options screen at the bottom you will see bitdepth if supported by encoder - if you expand that option you can set it to 16bit. Also if the sample rate is high - above 44.1khtz you can select apply DSP settings and set the ouput format to 44.1 for the higher sample rates and this will also reduce file size. I am assuming here that your flac files are 24 bit or have high sampling rates. You could of course convert to mp3 at 320 bits because in reality unless you have some really good hardware you are unlikely to tell the difference.

OK. Thank you very much.
I will convert to mp3 320 kbps

maxuell72

This is a long time topic but it comes to what I've learned since there's a stay-home order and i took it to rip my entire cd collection. I used to download flac files these days but want my cd collection to sound like the original and start trying wave since is the original cd file.

But then my auto radio only plays flac; that's when through dbamp i found uncompressed flac and, sounds really good like wav. All this to say that uncompressed file sounds more natural like cd playing on my Naim. The bass is more rounded, voice come up a little, treble isn't so digital and feel an overall musicality. I can absolutely feel that on my Momentum headphones.

Knowing that this a little small gain, for every piece count, and 95 of person will say flac is the same as uncompressed flac or wav, would like to request JRiver to introduce uncompressed flac option on MC.Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up