INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multichannel to headphones - Am I Missing Something?  (Read 937 times)

Amplified.Carnage

• Recent member
Multichannel to headphones - Am I Missing Something?
« on: October 29, 2018, 02:12:34 am »

Been a JRiver user for a few years now, love it!

First, thanks for getting the certification for the WDM Driver, it's now usable for gaming! Just after a bit of 'best practice' advice please.

I'm a headphone user and I'm wondering what I 'should' be setting for the best experience.
I've been using the jrss downmixing and setting the driver in windows to 7.1 so games will send all the channels through the jrss engine.
Now, after this point, should I be enabling the headphones processing in JRiver DSP studio too? Or maybe I should use the surround enhancement in the effects? Or maybe both??
I've tried all combinations and keep feeling I'm VEEEERY close to achieving the desired sound but something isn't quite there and I can't quite work it out. I also have Tb Isone in the toolbox if I could benefit from that.

Sorry for long post.
TLDR; what in theory is the 'best practice' DSP settings for downmixing multichannel audio for a headphone user.
Thanks in advance to the helpful, friendly JRiver community.

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Multichannel to headphones - Am I Missing Something?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 04:38:04 am »

what sounds best to you?
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Amplified.Carnage

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 06:11:04 am »

I don't trust my head ;-p
To be honest, I knew it was a subjective question, but I was looking for a starting point, like if I'm downmixing audio, does introducing crossfeed then work against the downmixing for example.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 07:10:02 pm »

If you are using Media Center to downmix to stereo, there would be no harm in enabling crossfeed.
Crossfeed is for making stereo playback via headphones sound more natural, and aid with localizing sounds.
If you are applying DSP, crossfeed would typically be the last step in the processing chain before dither (Media Center always dithers last).

You cannot use plug-ins like TB Isone with Media Center because mixing is fixed at the top of DSP Studio and plug-ins like those need access to the multichannel audio prior to downmixing.

My preference for crossfeed is the Redline Monitor plug-in, but it looks like the price has gone up (or perhaps I got a deal on it?).
Make sure that Media Center's dither (in options, not DSP) is set to TPDF rather than "Bit Exact" (RPDF).
Pages: [1]   Go Up