INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View?  (Read 1561 times)

jondavis

• World Citizen
Theater View?
« on: November 02, 2018, 12:27:59 pm »

Is there a way to choose what view your looking at when in Theater View?
So it starts with a Horizontal menu.
Next if I go to Video - Movies
1. It scrolls Horizontal again through your moves.
2. You can choose a Grid view

Now here is where I mess things up.
If I go into:
Tools - Options - Theater View - Video - Movies - Name
and on the right side under Details I choose to add: Artist

For 1. (see above) This will change the Horizontal veiw to a Grid view.

Why do I want to change that you may ask.
The reason I want to change it is so that if you select a movie like Star Wars
It will show up only once on the first view
after you select Star Wars - it will then show you all your star wars movies.

This does not just happen on the view explained either.
If you change any of the sub levels, the view will change also.

Do we have any control on what view we want in Library View?
I'm not sure what changes it. The fields we choose, or what sub level its on or what?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theater View?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:10:42 pm »

Is there a way to choose what view your looking at when in Theater View?

Yes.

So it starts with a Horizontal menu.
Next if I go to Video - Movies
1. It scrolls Horizontal again through your moves.
2. You can choose a Grid view

Grid view is exactly the same as the Name view, except for the "List Style" that is set for them by default. The menu option is there just to give you a quick way to display the Grid view.

You can change the  "List Style" for any view that you want to. Just go up to the top menu, select "More", then select "Toggle List Style". MC will toggle through the available  "List Styles", of which there are six.

Now here is where I mess things up.
If I go into:
Tools - Options - Theater View - Video - Movies - Name
and on the right side under Details I choose to add: Artist

Why would you want to do that?

Oh...

Why do I want to change that you may ask.

Adding Artist under the Name view will just filter your list of movies down to those that actually have a value in the [Artist] tag. Well, depending on a couple of other settings, you may also get a movie group for "All Artists", and another for "Unassigned" which will contain all movies that don't have a value in the [Artist] tag. Not many movies do have an [Artist] tag, at least in my library. So this is just a bad idea. It isn't the solution to the problem that you have below.

For 1. (see above) This will change the Horizontal veiw to a Grid view.

Yes, when you add Artist into the view, it changes to a Grid view. Use the "Toggle List Style" as described above to change is to whatever view (List Style) you want.

The reason I want to change it is so that if you select a movie like Star Wars
It will show up only once on the first view
after you select Star Wars - it will then show you all your star wars movies.

That sounds like you have already either selected the "Series" view under movies, and you have filled in the [Series] tag for the Star Wars movies, or you have already added [Series] as a selection field to the Name view. It just doesn't happen under the standard "Name" view.

This does not just happen on the view explained either.
If you change any of the sub levels, the view will change also.

Quite possibly correct. I didn't check any others. It doesn't matter. Just fix it with the "Toggle List Style" function.

Do we have any control on what view we want in Library View?
I'm not sure what changes it. The fields we choose, or what sub level its on or what?

You have a great deal of control over the Views you use in MC Standard and Theatre Views. A great deal.

I wish I could point you to one Wiki Article that would explain it all. But alas, I can't. But I do encourage you to search both the Wiki and Forum for information on how to configure Theatre View views. There is a lot of information out there, it just takes some time to find and consume it all.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jondavis

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 10:13:59 pm »

Yes.

You can change the  "List Style" for any view that you want to. Just go up to the top menu, select "More", then select "Toggle List Style". MC will toggle through the available  "List Styles", of which there are six.

Thanks, did not see that option there.
But it looks like what ever view you set for the top level filters down to all sub levels?
Is there anyway to lock in a view on each level?

Adding Artist under the Name view will just filter your list of movies down to those that actually have a value in the [Artist] tag. Well, depending on a couple of other settings, you may also get a movie group for "All Artists", and another for "Unassigned" which will contain all movies that don't have a value in the [Artist] tag.

After you add Artist you can click on "select rules for file display" and add - "Media Sub Type" "is" "Movie".
So that way no other Artist will invade your movie selections.

Not many movies do have an [Artist] tag, at least in my library. So this is just a bad idea. It isn't the solution to the problem that you have below.

Yea, I could use Series, or Artist (need to make up my mind), either way it looks like I will have to add names to those fields as many are left out.
I was thinking of Artist be like Star Wars, Album be like A New Hope, and save Series for like TV Shows.
Not sure how I'm doing everything yet. :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 11:23:00 pm »

You can't set the List Style at the Movies level, only at the level below that. i.e. Name, Series, Grid, Recent, etc. If you are adding a level below those and trying to set the List style, you are on your own, as I don't take the menu system down that many levels. With my setup it doesn't make sense for me. Each of the Name, Series, Grid, Recent, etc. items remembers their own List Style.

The Artist thing, you are making it hard for yourself. Very hard. Movies don't typically have Artists, they have Actors, and there is a field for those, and a view under the Movies heading. The Movies level of the view already has the  "Media Type" set to "Video" and the  "Media Sub Type" set to "Movie", and that cascades down to the  Name, Series, Grid, Recent, etc. level. Adding that condition back in at the Name level against the Artist field is redundant, and you will get unexpected results.

[Album], [Artist], [Album Artist], and [Album Artist (auto)] have logic built around them, and so they are best suited for audio media.

Movies don't have a three-level structure like TV Series (Series, Season, Episode), so just use [Series] for the movie Series (Star Wars), and [Name] for the Name of the movie. That works as expected and makes sense to me. I guess you could apply three levels to some Marvel movies (Marvel, X-Men, Name) but the Marvel movies are about the only time that would apply. If I wanted to record that a movie was part of the Marvel universe I would probably add a field for "Studio" or something similar, rather than use the three level criteria.

Set up the way I have, using just [Series] for a movie series such as Star Wars, I select the Movie > Series view, then select Star Wars, and all I see in there are Star Wars movies. Yes, you will have to give each Star Wars movie a [Series] value of "Star Wars". If you already have that information in the [Artist] field, you can just move the value across to the [Series] field. That function is on the right-click menu.

All of the above is the standard, default way the Theatre View menus are set up when MC is first installed, except that a Series subview doesn't exist under the movies menu. That is easy to add. Just create a sub-level item (Library Item) under the Movies section, and then add the [Series] field into the detail area so that the movies are grouped by Series. Then in the details area, add under the set rules for display add a rule that says "series" "is not" "empty". I want my Movie > Series view to only display movies that are part of a series, and hence have a value in the [Series] field.

Then modify the result by sorting it any way you want. I sort in ascending order by [Date (release)] which then displays the movies in the Series in what I consider the correct order, by Release Date. My Movie > Series view only displays movies that are part of a series, and hence have a value in the [Series] field.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 05:19:57 am »

I do pretty much the same thing with an additional field I've called "Boxset". It's manually maintained but I only put a small proportion of movies in a boxset, and it's incredibly flexible. I have a "Marvel" boxset as suggested earlier but I also have sets for one or 2 favorite directors, actors, themes etc. Movies can be in more than one boxset, etc etc. You could use genre to achieve a similar effect, but the imported metadata is often messy and inconsistent.   

jondavis

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 09:52:20 am »

If you are adding a level below those and trying to set the List style, you are on your own, as I don't take the menu system down that many levels. With my setup it doesn't make sense for me. Each of the Name, Series, Grid, Recent, etc. items remembers their own List Style.

Yea, I got a few now, that I added Sub Menus.
If you switch the view on a sub menu, it also switches the menus before it.
JRiver can you fix that? :)

I might still switch to Series, seems like they all work the same to me though.
I could try removing Movie Series from the main list of movies so you don't have like 20 Tarzan movies taking up half the grid.

Another reason was when you download a movie sometimes they come in multiple files.
Ususally only 2 parts, which means you have the front cover twice in you movie views.
So I was trying to have the movie only show up 1 time and after you click on it you can start part1 or part2.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 10:22:24 am »

For multiple files I use an expression which works like Album Artist (auto). I have 2 extra fields, title and titles. If title is empty, titlea = name, otherwise titlea = title. So you only need to populate title if you have multiple files. I use it mainly for DVD extras, with each file having a different name but the same title. Queries then finish titlea/name.

jondavis

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 11:10:06 am »

For multiple files I use an expression which works like Album Artist (auto). I have 2 extra fields, title and titles. If title is empty, titlea = name, otherwise titlea = title. So you only need to populate title if you have multiple files. I use it mainly for DVD extras, with each file having a different name but the same title. Queries then finish titlea/name.

You might have to show me the code since I'm not to good with coding yet.   :)
Need to spend more time on If statements.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 05:04:08 pm »

Another reason was when you download a movie sometimes they come in multiple files.
Ususally only 2 parts, which means you have the front cover twice in you movie views.
So I was trying to have the movie only show up 1 time and after you click on it you can start part1 or part2.

I used to have a bunch of those, mostly old movies of pretty low quality. But I went through them and deleted the junk, or any very poor quality versions, and any worth keeping I merged into one file using VideoReDo, without recoding the video so whatever quality was there was kept.

I think that would be a good project for you as well, by the sound of it.

jondavis

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 09:40:11 pm »

Need to spend more time on If statements.

Again i'm not sure how to make these codes.
I was thinking since if there are two parts to a movie I fill in the Track # column. 1 for the first track , 2 for the second track.
So maybe there can be an expression that IF Track # contains 2 to not show up as a Name.
Then you combine track 1 to track 2.
Something like that
Will be trying to learn some code. Not sure where to start. Maybe Java Srcript or something.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 01:23:19 am »

Code for additional field TitleA

if(IsEmpty([Title]),[Name],[Title])

jondavis

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 08:31:34 am »

Code for additional field TitleA

if(IsEmpty([Title]),[Name],[Title])

thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up