INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MadVR Quality Presets for integrated graphics  (Read 3913 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MadVR Quality Presets for integrated graphics
« on: November 03, 2018, 01:24:16 pm »

I know there's a similarly titled, unrelated thread.

This one is simply to thank Hendrik for implementing this fantastic feature. With this in place, I am seeing flawless 4K HDR 23.976 fps playback with integrated video from Intel i7 7700K, 8700 and AMD Ryzen 5 2400G.
These low end systems were struggling before, and sometimes, rendering times were 5-6x greater than they are now. For me, this is as big a leap forward for MC video as the original Red October introduction was for 1080p. When I go to AVSForum and see all the questions about getting 4K HDR to work well with MadVR, I sing Hendrik's praises again and again.

I use the high performance setting as a baseline, and then tweak a very few items that seem to improve performance for my systems. Finally, I think that a little more blurb on the Hardware acceleration checkbox in the Video options in MC is needed. It should say something to let the user know that it may actually degrade performance if checked. Further, it seems that the Optimize Hardware decoding and performance checkbox is unrelated to the Hardware Acceleration, as far as I can tell. Checking optimization when acceleration is off seems to have an effect. Or am I imagining it?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: MadVR Quality Presets for integrated graphics
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:31:37 pm »

Finally, I think that a little more blurb on the Hardware acceleration checkbox in the Video options in MC is needed. It should say something to let the user know that it may actually degrade performance if checked.
If you have a high-end CPU and a low-end graphics card, maybe, as it costs a bit of GPU to do the decoding. But thats not a very usual combination. Even high-end CPUs can suffer in 4K decoding, while GPUs don't usually care.

Further, it seems that the Optimize Hardware decoding and performance checkbox is unrelated to the Hardware Acceleration, as far as I can tell. Checking optimization when acceleration is off seems to have an effect. Or am I imagining it?
Imagination. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 02:13:04 pm »

O well! :)
Then maybe the optimization checkbox should be greyed out if hardware acceleration is not selected. It might reduce confusion during troubleshooting.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 02:13:38 pm »

I thought it should be hidden in that case. Might check it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 02:27:51 pm »

In case I am not being clear, I am talking about the options in the pic attached.

Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible is unchecked
Optimize hardware decoding for performance is checked

Jeeru

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 04:54:55 pm »

Hi I've been trying to get my 2400g to work with my LG c8. Somehow hdr won't work within windows. It seems I can't get it to output 422 at 10 bit for some reason only 420.
The only time it almost works, and the TV switches to hdr mode, the video is really dark but I can see the colours are vibrant. The PC is directly connected to the tv, I've tested multiple HDMI cables. And I can barely find anybody who has gotten it to work. Could you maybe post all your settings?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 12:46:00 am »

I think I have seen this. When it is dark, can you right click once on the screen and get it behaving properly from that point on? I recall that I fixed this by going into MadVR device profile for my display and switch from passing through HDR information to letting MadVR decide, I think.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 01:42:40 am »

Don't TV/PC's only support 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 (and hence why you can not select 4:2:2)?
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 01:56:35 am »

Don't TV/PC's only support 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 (and hence why you can not select 4:2:2)?

No, 4:2:2 is also supported.
However, if you are using 4K at 60Hz, 4:2:0 is the only format with enough bandwidth to allow 10-bit. Both 4:4:4 and even 4:2:2 exceed the limits of HDMI 2.0 (technically you can get 4:2:2 to work by using 10-bit and reduced blanking modes, but some TVs don't like those, so I don't know if it does that by default, and some GPUs are also stuck at 12-bit for some reason)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 02:14:00 am »

Your right.  So many combos in trying to get my JVC working @ 4K with HDR & HFR I've blurred it all together!
JRiver CEO Elect

Jeeru

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 11:24:58 am »

I think I have seen this. When it is dark, can you right click once on the screen and get it behaving properly from that point on? I recall that I fixed this by going into MadVR device profile for my display and switch from passing through HDR information to letting MadVR decide, I think.
Funny thing, I just started JRiver again, and it did HDR for a little bit.
When I went to the search bar it stopped doing HDR and switched back.
After that I restarted the movie and it went back to dark mode HDR basically, when I right clicked the same thing happened as when I went to the search bar, it just goes back to normal mode.

Everytime I'm in HDR mode and go to the search bar it just switches back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up