INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: deinterlaced lines with madvr  (Read 6153 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
deinterlaced lines with madvr
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:28:51 pm »

I have tried to sort the odd deinterlaced lines I get with some ripped DVDs using madvr with MC. I have asked many times in the madvr thread but no one ever seems to give me an answer. The two tick boxes in madvr for deinterlacing never fixes my problem with the horozontal lines with the odd ripped DVD.

If I turn off madvr and use the JRiver renderer I dont have the interlaced lines, the JR renderer must have the deinterlacing in it and auto switch it on when needed. However the madvr renderer looks way supierior as i upscale everything to 4K so I do want to use madvr. However i just cant get madvr to deinterce interlaced DVDs....

Can someone please help me as Ive been trying to sort this issue for years....

RD James

Re: deinterlaced lines with madvr
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:58:26 pm »

What type of content is this? Movies, TV, home video etc?
Is it NTSC or PAL region material? Many PAL conversions are unfixable.
Have you tried setting madVR to force film-type or video-type deinterlacing?

murray

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 11:04:36 pm »

What type of content is this? Movies, TV, home video etc?
Is it NTSC or PAL region material? Many PAL conversions are unfixable.
Have you tried setting madVR to force film-type or video-type deinterlacing?
DVD from a box set of Ben Hur Bluray, its from the USA, so I imagine its NTSC. I have tried every setting on the deinterlacing page of madvr, force deinterlacing on or off, film and video type, nothing works, the interlacing lines are always there.

As I say if I turn off the madvr renderer and use the JR one its clean without any interlacing artifacts, but the image just isnt as good as the madvr rendering.

RD James

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:29:32 am »

Try disabling hardware accelerated video decoding and going through those options again.

murray

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 01:32:01 pm »

Try disabling hardware accelerated video decoding and going through those options again.
Can you tell me where I find that please, in madvr or JR?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 05:44:11 pm »

Can you tell me where I find that please, in madvr or JR?

In MC options, at "Options > General > Video Card".

My understanding from other people's experience is that interlaced video can be more problematic than non-interlaced video, because de-interlacing can be more processor intensive. Some GPU hardware handles it much better than others when hardware acceleration is used. Hence RD's suggestion to turn that off.

But you may also want to check CPU and GPU load when playing interlaced video. That may highlight where the issue is. Although really any recent PC should be able to play DVD video properly.

Perhaps share your PC configuration?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

murray

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 05:51:04 pm »

I use a 1080Ti card, the load when playing DVD is nothing in the madvr stats. All my BDs are upscaled to 4K and even the settings I use on madvr are nothing with the 1080Ti card. I will check this hardware acceleration and re try all the madvr deinterlacing settings. Thank you for your help... I will rreport back...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 06:49:23 pm »

A 1080Ti should do it!

Okay, have you done a lot of customisation of madVR settings? Because a possible solution may lose those for you.

There were some Windows and madVR changes a while back that caused a number of people issues. The changes didn't work well together. Mostly Microsoft's fault I think. But anyway, the problem was fixed by resetting madVR back to defaults using the "restore default settings.bat" batch file in the madVR directory.

You may want to backup your "settings.bin" file before you do that, if there is one. Although the batch file does also does that.

The other solution available in recent versions of MC is to select one of the madVR Quality Presets in MC, at "Options > Video > General Video Settings > Load madVR quality preset". That will also overwrite most (any/all?) madVR customisations you have done.

In fact if I was having the issue you have with just a few DVDs, I would probably rest madVR to defaults and then test. If that fixed the issue, I would also select a quality profile to match my hardware, and test with that. In your case that would be the "High Quality" profile.

PS: RD is the expert in this area though. He may have some better advice.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

murray

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 07:39:00 pm »

In MC options, at "Options > General > Video Card".

My understanding from other people's experience is that interlaced video can be more problematic than non-interlaced video, because de-interlacing can be more processor intensive. Some GPU hardware handles it much better than others when hardware acceleration is used. Hence RD's suggestion to turn that off.

But you may also want to check CPU and GPU load when playing interlaced video. That may highlight where the issue is. Although really any recent PC should be able to play DVD video properly.

Perhaps share your PC configuration?
Ok I have tried this, its always been unticked, is that the correct way to have it or not.
Anyway for this test I ticked it and tried all the settings in madvr deinterlacing again, still nothing will bring on madvr deinterlacing, I still have interlacing lines.
However i have noticed in the madvr stats that when i play this film it states deinterlacing OFF (framerate) on all other films the states are deinterlacing OFF (settings), what does this mean?

I dont understand why the deinterlacing works perfectly on the JR renderer but not on the madvr one, just seems so odd to me...

murray

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 07:46:31 pm »

A 1080Ti should do it!

Okay, have you done a lot of customisation of madVR settings? Because a possible solution may lose those for you.

There were some Windows and madVR changes a while back that caused a number of people issues. The changes didn't work well together. Mostly Microsoft's fault I think. But anyway, the problem was fixed by resetting madVR back to defaults using the "restore default settings.bat" batch file in the madVR directory.

You may want to backup your "settings.bin" file before you do that, if there is one. Although the batch file does also does that.

The other solution available in recent versions of MC is to select one of the madVR Quality Presets in MC, at "Options > Video > General Video Settings > Load madVR quality preset". That will also overwrite most (any/all?) madVR customisations you have done.

In fact if I was having the issue you have with just a few DVDs, I would probably rest madVR to defaults and then test. If that fixed the issue, I would also select a quality profile to match my hardware, and test with that. In your case that would be the "High Quality" profile.

PS: RD is the expert in this area though. He may have some better advice.  ;)
Sorry but I would be too afraid to try all those things for fear of messing up my system. Im not too great on computers however I know how to get a great image from madvr with upscaling BDs to 4K on my JVC X9900 proj. Ive remained on an older version of madvr as there hasnt been anything new I have wanted in new versions, plus I have to bring someone in to keep doing any updates as I cant understand how to do them Im afraid! Im on version (127.0.0.1)

As everything else works so beautifully its not worth while me taking the risk to get just a couple of DVD rips to play correctly with madvr deinterlacing correctly. If I want to play them its probably best to change the renderer from madvr back to the JR one even though the image isnt as good.

Its alla bit if a bother and just a shame Im not more comfortable in trying some of those more complex tests you have asked for...  :(

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 08:37:50 pm »

Im on version (127.0.0.1)

Okay, that is the IP Address of your PC (localhost) and not the MC version. So I believe you when you say you aren't great on computers.

Best to just to just keep doing what you are doing then, and running the "JR Renderer" (by which I assume that you mean running RedOctober Standard, which actually runs the 'Enhanced Video Renderer', which is part of Windows I believe) for those few DVDs which give you trouble.

Honestly though, I don't know how you might have tweaked madVR, and resetting it to defaults may fix the issue. Using a recent version of MC would also help, if you are upscaling to 4K. I do that, and the only tweaks I need in madVR are for 3D movie playback. All the rest is default settings. But projectors can be a bit difficult, so maybe you do need to tweak madVR.

murray

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 08:48:58 pm »

Okay, that is the IP Address of your PC (localhost) and not the MC version. So I believe you when you say you aren't great on computers.

Best to just to just keep doing what you are doing then, and running the "JR Renderer" (by which I assume that you mean running RedOctober Standard, which actually runs the 'Enhanced Video Renderer', which is part of Windows I believe) for those few DVDs which give you trouble.

Honestly though, I don't know how you might have tweaked madVR, and resetting it to defaults may fix the issue. Using a recent version of MC would also help, if you are upscaling to 4K. I do that, and the only tweaks I need in madVR are for 3D movie playback. All the rest is default settings. But projectors can be a bit difficult, so maybe you do need to tweak madVR.
No that isnt my IP adress its the madvr version Im on.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 09:26:45 pm »

The current version of madVR I'm running with the latest version of MC is v0.92.16.

The latest release on the madVR site is v0.92.17. See http://madvr.com/

Older releases are listed here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/madVR/old-versions#download

When you open the madVR setting dialogue, at the top it will say something like "madVR settings - "PCName" (127.0.0.1)".  The 127.0.0.1 refers to the localhost IP Address Windows uses for your PC.

The madVR version you are running is shown in the bottom left corner of the madVR settings dialogue.

;)

murray

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 09:30:24 pm »

The current version of madVR I'm running with the latest version of MC is v0.92.16.

Older releases are listed here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/madVR/old-versions#download

When you open the madVR setting dialogue, at the top it will say something like "madVR settings - "PCName" (127.0.0.1)".  The 127.0.0.1 refers to the localhost IP Address Windows uses for your PC.

The madVR version you are running is shown in the bottom left corner of the madVR settings dialogue.

;)
oh dear sorry, I will check again :(

murray

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 07:51:33 pm »

;)
Ive just checked the madvr version and its V0.91.10, havent wanted to update it as there is nothing I want on any of the newer versions.
I checked another Pal DVD that needs deinterlacing and the madvr deinterlacing does work on it, its shows as ON in the stats.
So the other DVD that needs deinterlacing doesnt work at all with madvr, seems odd that the Red Oct standard does it but Red Oct HQ doesnt...
Oh well i supose all we can put it down to is a bug somewhere in the chain...

murray

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:05 pm »

Should hardware accelerated video decoding really be on or off in JR when using madvr?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 10:24:24 pm »

Should hardware accelerated video decoding really be on or off in JR when using madvr?

Whatever works best. With a 1080Ti and the latest drivers, I would think on.

murray

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 10:49:01 pm »

Whatever works best. With a 1080Ti and the latest drivers, I would think on.
Would you mind explaining what it actually does please?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 11:47:12 pm »

Well, I'm no developer or JRiver employee, but...

My understanding is that it does what it says it does. When the setting is ticked, it is turned on. When turned on, MC will attempt to use the hardware video decoding functions of the GPU on the video card, rather than use the CPU to do software video decoding.

More recent video cards have chips that are capable of decoding video in hardware, which is much faster generally speaking than software decoding. Current cards can decode most of the latest video formats, such as H264 and H265 (which your 1080 Ti does), while older cards may only decode H264 in hardware, and rely on the CPU and software decoding for H265.

Check the specifications of your video card, or Google a bit if you want to learn more.

A search of the forums for the setting "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" and the "Optimize hardware decoding for performance" will shed more light. Such as in this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114703.msg793115.html#msg793115

murray

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 12:42:47 am »

Well, I'm no developer or JRiver employee, but...

My understanding is that it does what it says it does. When the setting is ticked, it is turned on. When turned on, MC will attempt to use the hardware video decoding functions of the GPU on the video card, rather than use the CPU to do software video decoding.

More recent video cards have chips that are capable of decoding video in hardware, which is much faster generally speaking than software decoding. Current cards can decode most of the latest video formats, such as H264 and H265 (which your 1080 Ti does), while older cards may only decode H264 in hardware, and rely on the CPU and software decoding for H265.

Check the specifications of your video card, or Google a bit if you want to learn more.

A search of the forums for the setting "Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible" and the "Optimize hardware decoding for performance" will shed more light. Such as in this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114703.msg793115.html#msg793115
Ok thank you very much for this info, I read the other thread and it looks like I better turn it on for my 1080Ti card.
Pages: [1]   Go Up