INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mainmenu is too wide to read  (Read 2346 times)

ray72

• Recent member
Mainmenu is too wide to read
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:34:11 pm »

I have an ID Pi with an ASUS HDMI monitor. The display fits on the screen but the text is wider than the display. The result is that the codes to enter to choose GUI or the other actions were cut off half way thru the code number (1,2 and 3 were invisible, 10-18 showed as 0 -8, 77>7, 98>8, 99>9) I cannot find a size change for Mainmenu to reduce it to fit my 1920X1200 display. Rebooting has made it worse, 15 Rename ID is now ame ID with the a cut in half.
I have assorted other issues that I will put in other topics but this issue makes it hard to work on those issues.
ray72

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mainmenu is too wide to read
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:06:41 pm »

Did you try powering down and back up?  The HDMI connection isn't working correctly and that might reset it.

12 is check for updates

98 is restart

99 is power off

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:22 pm »

Also note that if you boot the IdPi in gui mode without a monitor attached you will get a small display because of the way the Pi's graphics hardware works.
If you want to see it full sized on VPN or Remote Desktop, reboot it into text mode.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 02:13:25 pm »

I have powered down multiple times, both the Id Pi and the monitor, no change.
I'm not using VPN nor Remote Desktop.
How would I get a small display with no monitor?
Is text mode -- 3 return Text with HDMI initialization?
or -- 2 return Headless text (no monitor required)?
This is spelling from a print out of a jriver.com page, I can't see the whole text on my screen...
I ran the 12 check for updates when I first registered my new Id Pi. And updated. I neglected to record the old nor new revisions. Then I disconnected the internet and re-booted.

I just rebooted with the monitor powered down. Turning it on 7min later shows the same overwide text.
ray72

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:28:41 pm »

I have powered down multiple times, both the Id Pi and the monitor, no change.
I'm not using VPN nor Remote Desktop.
How would I get a small display with no monitor?
Is text mode -- 3 return Text with HDMI initialization?
or -- 2 return Headless text (no monitor required)?
This is spelling from a print out of a jriver.com page, I can't see the whole text on my screen...
I ran the 12 check for updates when I first registered my new Id Pi. And updated. I neglected to record the old nor new revisions. Then I disconnected the internet and re-booted.

I just rebooted with the monitor powered down. Turning it on 7min later shows the same overwide text.
ray72
My mistake, I thought you were talking about a remote display.

If you are booting with the monitor attached and you get the super small display, the Id is not recognizing your monitor properly. EIther use a different monitor or  boot into text mode and use remote desktop or VNC when you need to access the GUI.

The IdPi main menu looks like this:

Code: [Select]
Settings for Id-B827EBCB0BFB    Access Key: XeJeFL

1   GUI
       2   Headless Text (no monitor required)
       10  Show audio device information
       11  Show network information
       12  Check for updates
       13  Network Manager
       14  System Mixer
       15  Rename Id
       16  Change remote access password
       17  Custom RPi configuration (audio device, etc)
       18  Enter the Id License Key
       20  External Media Menu

77  Revert to default settings (clears the library)
       98  Reboot
       99  Shutdown

Enter a number and hit ENTER:   

There isn't a option 3. That's only on the IdNUC.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 02:47:47 pm »

When I boot with the ASUS HDMI display attached or added later, the display is not super small to my mind, the screen is almost full and the mainmenu text is too big to fit. 15 Rename ID looks like ame ID with half the a cut off past the left edge of the window, not off the edge of the display. It looks like the text is too big for the display (that was the first symptom) and the image cuts it off even smaller so it doesn't reach the edges of the display (an unwelcome update that won't go away).
If it try to connect to the IP with Firefox it times out. The PC is 192.168.1.67, the Id Pi is 192.168.1.80.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 03:17:43 pm »

Try typing this:
Enter
Enter
Enter

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 03:47:29 pm »

If it still doesn't work look for a auto sync button or menu item on your monitor.
To get a remote desktop on your Id from a Windows or Mac machine either DL a VNC viewer, like tigervnc or use windows remote desktop.

You'd connect to the Id's address in your case 192.168.1.80

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 03:58:41 pm »

JimH'
Enter
Enter
rebooted with a display that fit the screen (network startup seemed to abort) white text on black background
Enter
rebooted with a display that fit the screen (network startup seemed to abort) white text on black background (black text on white back ground was the too big to fit coloring)
Is it time for 1 Gui? or some other command?

Id:24.0.8 MC:24.0.52 Engen:1.0.69

I tried Remote desktop with 192.168.1.80; no connection.
11 Enter Gives Link encap:Ethernet HWadder b8:27:eb:c2:db:95
No IP address is listed, no packets, no collisions, no overruns, no frames
ray72

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 04:08:43 pm »

JimH
I used 11 Enter to say C (connect). Then I could R login. This is asking for a password. If I have a password from starting this on Friday, I should have written it down. I don't think my JRiver login password applies. Blank password fails. Is there a default or reset?
ray72

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 04:29:26 pm »

If you are running wired you should see an IP address, if you are setting up wireless you need to use the Network Manager option 13.

Wireless instructions:

Then use the down arrow to highlight your network.
Hit the right arrow to go to config
Use the down arrow to get to the next to last line where the type of encryption is set.
Hit enter to get the drop down
Down arrow twice to get to WPA 1/2 Passphrase
Hit enter
Type your wireless password (you are in the key field)
Up arrow 3 times to get to the automatically connect filed. Hit space to select it.
Hit S to save and you are back to the main network config menu with your wireless network selected.
Hit C to connect to the selected wireless network.
Hit Q to quit.
Your wireless settings should now be saved. When you reboot using 98 everything should come up live.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »

Bob,
I'm using wire. My PC is wireless to the switch but I don't think that is the password point. I see an IP address and Remote desktop security level is 2 so a password is needed. I need to enter a password or change security to 1=none.
I preferr to avoid wifi and bluetooth.
ray72

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 05:00:50 pm »

Bob,
I'm using wire. My PC is wireless to the switch but I don't think that is the password point. I see an IP address and Remote desktop security level is 2 so a password is needed. I need to enter a password or change security to 1=none.
I preferr to avoid wifi and bluetooth.
ray72
If you are using wired you should see an IP address on eth0.

For remote desktop/vpn the default password is remote
You can change the from the main menu.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:14 pm »

bob,
remote worked so I am remote desktopped. Now the screen is lableing the remote desktop fact. The remote desktop is much prettier. The main menu is displayed over the flower background and small enough to read all the characters.
It will be tricky to follow the interact forum while remote logged in since my to screens are both 1920x1200.

Can I configure now to use the ASUS directly?
ray72

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 06:39:02 pm »

bob,

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 07:01:22 pm »

bob,
I find that a tab doesn't add spaces, it shifts to the post button and the next character posts what I only men to include a tab in... Sorry,
I can get a main menu on Remote login. It doesn't seem to have any file action. If I try 1 Gui, it reboots, of course, and old issues come right back. Now I can remote log in and have the same oversize font problem on 2 screens. (after is use 13 to tell it to connect)
ray72

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 09:32:18 pm »

Bob,
So far, having booted with the HP Pavillion monitor instead of the ASUS, the windows are readable. I reconnected the ASUS and it is also readable so I can skip Remote Login. Now I have loaded my 280GB of FLAC files and can play them. Almost. The play function shows the tracks and progress thru each one but no sound comes out of the NAD D3045. It is listed as card1. There is a message that the NAD doesn't accept processing. I have tried several sysdefaults in audio device. The pi drove the Nad fine under Kodi so Iit is not merely broken.
I need to try rebooting to see if this is a fix for window width.
ray72

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 10:10:33 pm »

bob,
Booting with the HP Pavillion works and switching back to the ASUS HDMI afterward (no boot) also works.
Thank you for that.
But, when I reboot with the ASUS the old bad display comes right back. It looks like the software sees how big the display is and configures the window content to suit. But then it appears to send out a center patch to the display. Following the HP boot (2560x1900) the windows on the reconnected ASUS 1920X1200 look just fine. I suspect the code noticed the change in size when the display was swapped.
I started a topic on the NAD not playing, since that continues after the reboot.
ray72

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 10:14:12 pm »

You might try updating the video driver.
Sorry.  I didn't realize you had an Id.  No need to update any drivers.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 10:21:12 pm »

JimH,
Update the video driver. Is that available for the raspberry Pi? On the Id Pi? I actually hope to run the Id Pi with the raspberry Pi touch screen. Can I expect to get that to work if I buy one?
ray72

BradATIMA

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 04:39:10 pm »

I have an IdPi hooked up to a Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Display. It works, but the downside is the display is small and a bit more challenging to work with. You almost still need to have a mouse and keyboard hooked up to it unless you still plan on using Remote Desktop or VNC.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 08:58:10 pm »

Hi BradATIMA,
    Sorry Brad and everyone else. I always type tab after the name in a email. This jumps to post and then I can't finish my email, it's posted blank. I will try to learn new habits.
    If I want the touchscreen to run only the JRiver playing function, does the keyboard mouse need reduce? I would want to pick Albums and/tracks and add them to the playing list. Canceling playing list (no playlist) and shutdown are the only other functions. I will move the drive to another computer to add tracks. So I will also need to trigger the input function. I want a music player. I have other computers.
ray72

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 11:47:42 pm »

BradATIMA,JimH,bob,
    (tab is still a stong habit after email names)
Thank you all for your attention. I fetched a BENQ Sensye and I can now boot from power off without any hardware change.
Apparently the EDID function is not compatible with my ASUS HDMI. The HP Pavilion and the BENQ Sensey are compatiple. I can't tell if the ASUS is devective or is using a point of confusion in the rPi. Whatever.
My library is indexed and my NAD plays the music. Very nice. I'm playing 20 Bill Evens albums now. My next step/interest is a touch screen. I don't see any resent Forum on touch screen. Should I start a new topic or read/post some already made?
Example question:
Does the raspberry touch function allow re-positioning windows content by touch dragging the little buttons along the edges of the display? The data on FLAC files is 90% of the BENQ width, much more than 800 pixels for the 7" touch screen. I can put this question into a new topic.
ray72

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 06:39:23 am »

I don't see any resent Forum on touch screen. Should I start a new topic or read/post some already made?
Example question:
Does the raspberry touch function allow re-positioning windows content by touch dragging the little buttons along the edges of the display? The data on FLAC files is 90% of the BENQ width, much more than 800 pixels for the 7" touch screen. I can put this question into a new topic.
ray72
When you have a new questions that will generated discussion, it's a good idea to start a new topic.

Why not take the easy way and use a tablet or phone for remote control?  The wiki has a topic on Remotes.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 03:23:07 pm »

JimH,
    You introduce an interesting question. Why not get some kind of modest laptop running suitable linux and JRiver? One device can tie my library 2TB drive to my NAD D3045. I'm looking at Pinebook, ChromeBooks and laptops. Any sugested hardware for a linux that JRiver cooperates with?
ray72
Pages: [1]   Go Up