INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugging in my iPhone crashes MC 24  (Read 2078 times)

jkauff

• World Citizen
Plugging in my iPhone crashes MC 24
« on: November 24, 2018, 04:31:53 am »

I'm running MC 24 for Windows 24.0.60 64-bit. I keep a USB-to-Lightning cable connected to my computer all the time.

When MC is open and I plug the Lightning connector into my iPhone 8 Plus, MC immediately crashes and closes. This happens whether Player is in use at the time or not. I re-start MC and everything is fine, and I can unplug the iPhone without problems.

This started happening after the 24.0.60 update. No problems with prior releases.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Plugging in my iPhone crashes MC 24
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 05:18:12 am »

I had this happen to me a few times this week with 24.0.56 too.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 06:57:58 am »

This occurred for me again yesterday, with 24.0.75. Can you guys reproduce this, and if so will there be a fix in MC 25?

EDIT: I'm running the latest, fully-patched version of Windows 10.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 02:40:54 pm »

You need to provide more information I think.

Do you have iTunes running, or any component of it such as a service or whatever exists these days? I would suspect that you do, and when you plug in the phone it tries to connect as well, and take control of some functions like default audio. That would likely be the cause of the crashes.

Settings in iTunes so that it tries to do something when the phone is connected?
Any other software that connects to the phone?

There was a seemingly unrelated change to Handheld functionality in MC24.0.56, maybe something changed in the way the connection happens from the MC side?
24.0.56 (10/5/2018)
7. NEW: Added the playlist format "M3U (extended)" to the types for a handheld to write the #EXTINF portion.

You could turn on logging in MC and see if there is anything obvious in there causing the crash.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:38:54 am »

I don't have iTunes installed on my machine, just the Apple driver that allows Windows to recognize the iPhone as a device.

I also don't use Handheld functionality in MC. I just deleted all devices in Options/Handheld, maybe that will solve the problem.

Thanks for the ideas.

jkauff

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 10:59:30 am »

I discovered the cause of the problem. I have a USB 3.0 external hard drive with two USB 3.0 ports on the front. My iPhone was plugged into one of them. MC 24 Handheld/Device Detection listed the hard drive, not my iPhone. In fact, doing a device scan added ALL of my external hard drives as handheld devices.

This bug was apparently the cause of the crashes. MC tried to add a device when I plugged in the phone, and found only the hard drive. I disabled all devices, connected my phone to a different port, and the problem has gone away.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 03:57:11 pm »

Well, it is best to directly connect a device like a phone to a PC for best results. Connecting through a USB hub, which must be what your external hard drive has built-in, doesn't always work.

That isn't restricted to MC either. I have had that issue just with Windows and other applications. Usually, if Windows doesn't detect the device (iPhone in this case), the software application isn't going to see it either. But sometimes even when Windows does, an application like MC won't because it is trying to connect using MTP rather than just connect the device as a drive. It may not have helped that you are using a USB to Lightning cable, which means your hard drive is a Lightning device.

Anyway, good you got it fixed, and thanks for the reminder to ask people to connect their devices directly to a USB port on the PC, rather than through a hub.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up