INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Desktop Connection Help  (Read 1520 times)

stephenz99

• Recent member
Remote Desktop Connection Help
« on: November 25, 2018, 07:38:01 pm »

I recently purchased an id and have successfully set it up as a music server with an external usb drive using JRemote to control it, but I am having trouble connecting to it through the Microsoft remote desktop app on Windows 10 Pro. It shows up in my network and I am able to control it with JRemote. When I was first setting it up, I was able to right click on ID in my network and select "connect with remote desktop connection". It asked me for the password and I was able to connect through remote desktop. Now when I try to connect through remote desktop it is not asking for a password and giving me the error shown below. I set up port forwarding through my xfinity router (Arris TG1682g) and made sure the correct port was open. Additionally, I am able to open and view both the internal and external storage from my desktop computer, but when I try to add a new folder I get an error that say's I don't have permission.

I would like to be able to access the Id through the windows 10 remote desktop app and also have the ability to add media files to the external storage through the network. I'm having trouble figuring out what the problem is. I have tried resetting the modem and also reverting the id to the default settings using the command 77. Any ideas how to solve this?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote Desktop Connection Help
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:03:17 am »

I'd suggest getting WakeMeOnLAN from Nirsoft - I use the Chocolatey package - and run a scan on your network. That way you can be sure of the Id's IP address.

Your other option is to specify a static IP in your router and call up the Id's MAC address. Again WakeMeOnLAN is helpful.

Of course the Id provides you this detail but if you're having hassles remoting in, something like WakeMeOnLAN gives you the info you need.

I'd also suggest working with a cable connection until you've got things bedded down. WiFi can have its quirks.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:27:33 am »

In addition, I'd like to know how you are getting the Id to show up under computers since MS shutoff SMB v1 protocol?

I have one device that shows up there (my QNAP Nas) and Remote desktop doesn't work by clicking on that either.

You can find the IP address of the Id in MC on your PC by hovering over the Id in the tree.
Then simply run remote desktop and connect to that IP address.

stephenz99

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 08:11:30 pm »

Thank you,

I realized that I was unable to create a remote desktop connection after I applied a port forward on my modem. I tried resetting everything again this time without changing any settings on my modem and the remote desktop seems to be working again. I guess my modem is adding a port forward automatically. I didn't end up having to set it up with a static ip.

The thing that is not working is I am still unable to write to either internal or external storage from my desktop. Not sure why this is. I have enabled read/write access with external media on the Id.

Bob: I'm not sure exactly what made the Id show up under Windows Explorer. I remember one thread that said to enable SMB 1.0 with windows add features. I did that and enabled SMB direct also, before I set anything up.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:31:33 am »

Thank you,

I realized that I was unable to create a remote desktop connection after I applied a port forward on my modem. I tried resetting everything again this time without changing any settings on my modem and the remote desktop seems to be working again. I guess my modem is adding a port forward automatically. I didn't end up having to set it up with a static ip.

The thing that is not working is I am still unable to write to either internal or external storage from my desktop. Not sure why this is. I have enabled read/write access with external media on the Id.

Bob: I'm not sure exactly what made the Id show up under Windows Explorer. I remember one thread that said to enable SMB 1.0 with windows add features. I did that and enabled SMB direct also, before I set anything up.

If you use a port forward on your modem for getting at the Id from outside of your home network you should make sure to limit the access to trusted IP's (like your work network, etc).
There are port scanners looking for remote desktop ports all of the time and they will crack whatever password you set eventually.

Your SMB change on windows 10 is what made the Id show up in explorer.

The media folder under Internal Storage should be writable from your windows 10 machine.

Only external drives mounted Read/Write through MC's diskmenu will be writable under External Storage and only within those folders.

What Id model are you using?

stephenz99

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 07:54:01 pm »

I'm using the NUC6CAYH.

When I try to create a new folder in the external or internal folder from my windows 10 machine it says I need permission to do this.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:04:34 am »

I'm using the NUC6CAYH.

When I try to create a new folder in the external or internal folder from my windows 10 machine it says I need permission to do this.
You can only create folders INSIDE of the media folder on the Internal Storage.

stephenz99

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 08:25:34 pm »

Okay,

that resolved it. I am able to write to the media folder.

Thanks,

Stephen
Pages: [1]   Go Up