INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I export and import just one playlist?  (Read 4213 times)

baldo

• World Citizen
How do I export and import just one playlist?
« on: November 28, 2018, 02:24:46 pm »

I have MC on 2 devices linked to 2 different hard drives.  I want to take a playlist created on one device and have it  on the other device. How can I do this?

I see that there is a export playlist function but I dont know what format to export the playlist in.

Both hard drives have all the same files in the same folders.

Many thanks
baldo

swiv3d

Re: How do I export and import just one playlist?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »

Right mouse click on the playlist you want to export - if you are only going to use it in MC choose MPL type. Then you can import it on the other device's version of MC, where it will be placed in the imported playlists folder. I presume the drive letter is the same too?

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:30:08 am »

I tried this and imported the playlist but the playlist has nothing in it to play.  Its empty.

The drive letters are different but that is not a problem because I can replace the files paths.

Why is the playlist empty?

If I do a playlist export and import on the same machine it works file but going from one machine to another does not seem to work.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 02:52:10 pm »

The way I save playlists...

Create a folder located at the same relative location (to the media files) on both machines (e.g., Music/Playlists). Create a playlist on machine A and export to the folder with "Store paths relative..." checked. Copy the .mpl file to machine B in the Playlist folder. Have machine B set up to auto-import playlists from that folder and run Import now (if you don't want to wait). The playlist will show up on machine B under imported playlists and you can copy or move it from there within MC.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

swiv3d

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 05:24:44 pm »

Why is the playlist empty?
The playlist is empty on the machine you imported it to because the drive letters are different - MC looks at the imported playlist and can't find any files at the designated site and so it will remove them from the list. Zhillsguy's suggestion is a good one to get around that problem.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 08:01:20 pm »

The issue here is that MC stores playlists based upon a unique ID number that is assigned to each file at import time.  These are different on different computers.  Of course MC knows the full file path of each file also.  But, if your file paths are different on each computer, then a playlist from one computer doesn't make sense on another.

You can export playlists on one computer and then use a text editor to substitute paths.  This can help quite a bit with one or two playlists.

If you are going to do a bunch, then you should probably do a full database backup and restore.  When you restore the database from one MC installation onto a different computer with a different drive letter, you will have EVERYTHING.  All albums, all songs, all playlists, etc.  But the file paths will all be wrong.  All you have to do is use the Rename Move and Copy files tool (RM&C) to change the file paths and *presto* everything will work on the destination computer with the different drive letter.

I've used this technique many times.  I periodically copy my main library from my Mac to my Linux music server on a portable hard drive.  I also save a copy of a database backup along with it and do the process I've outlined above.  Even though I'm changing drives, paths, and even operating systems, it all works.  This is one of the many super powerful features of the MC architecture.

Brian.

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 05:31:51 am »

The way I save playlists...

Create a folder located at the same relative location (to the media files) on both machines (e.g., Music/Playlists). Create a playlist on machine A and export to the folder with "Store paths relative..." checked. Copy the .mpl file to machine B in the Playlist folder. Have machine B set up to auto-import playlists from that folder and run Import now (if you don't want to wait). The playlist will show up on machine B under imported playlists and you can copy or move it from there within MC.

I did this and it worked.  Thanks.

holsen

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 08:05:47 pm »

Hi I've got a similar question.  I've got a new DAP with 400GB SD Card.   I'm trying to figure out how to make a playlist in JRiver (all files on Nas Drive) and play that playlist on the DAP (all files on SD Card)  I've tries exporting as "Relative Path" but the file shows up on the dap referencing the M: drive (which is the NAS location)  is there an easy way to do this?

baldo

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 02:29:28 pm »

there are two things you need to do. Export all the playlists into one folder and you have tick the relative paths icon.

then copy that folder to your DAP.
Copy your music files to your DAP.

The way I do it, I have all my music on a PC in the folder A:\Music.
I export the playlists to folder A:\Playlists

Then I go to my other machine say my laptop. I keep all my music files in a folder B:\Music
and the playlists in the folder B\Playlists.

after exporting the playlist to the playlists folder you copy that folder from the A drive to the B drive and then do a import playlists from that folder.

hope that makes sense.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 08:47:17 am »

Hi I've got a similar question.  I've got a new DAP with 400GB SD Card.   I'm trying to figure out how to make a playlist in JRiver (all files on Nas Drive) and play that playlist on the DAP (all files on SD Card)  I've tries exporting as "Relative Path" but the file shows up on the dap referencing the M: drive (which is the NAS location)  is there an easy way to do this?

there are two things you need to do. Export all the playlists into one folder and you have tick the relative paths icon.

then copy that folder to your DAP.
Copy your music files to your DAP.

The way I do it, I have all my music on a PC in the folder A:\Music.
I export the playlists to folder A:\Playlists

Then I go to my other machine say my laptop. I keep all my music files in a folder B:\Music
and the playlists in the folder B\Playlists.

after exporting the playlist to the playlists folder you copy that folder from the A drive to the B drive and then do a import playlists from that folder.

hope that makes sense.

The best method is to use Handheld Sync to transfer your files and playlists simultaneously to your sd card/dap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up