INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is 'Replay Gain' calculated?  (Read 615 times)

LisaRCT

How is 'Replay Gain' calculated?
« on: May 28, 2003, 09:27:01 am »

I find that after analyzing, most of my MP3's come up as a negative value on replay gain. When adding the adjustment for the playlist, I wind up further negative.
This costs me an average of a 10-14 decibel LOSS in sound.
Since my speakers are rather "well endowed" regarding amplification (Altec 621's) this is not too large of a problem.
HOWEVER, this becomes a real problem when using headphones or feeding sound to other rooms with poorly-powered speakers.
Is there someway to boost the average level, or adjust only for variation within the current playlist ??
For instance, if my files are running a replay gain of -7.3 to a -14.6, why can't I somehow make a global change  in the playlist by a value of +6, . . .  . Thus making the net replay gain run from -1.3 to -8.6 and yielding a relative gain/volume increase of 5db?   ?
(without affecting the file's actual/permanent gain setting)
...... I don't ask much do I? LOL

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How is 'Replay Gain' calculated?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 10:25:48 am »

In DSP Studio/ReplayGain, in the Adjustment section you can choose either Fixed (to specify the global adjustment) or choose Automatic Based On Current Playlist (which will automatically specify a global adjustment based on the current track selection).

Rob

LisaRCT

Re: How is 'Replay Gain' calculated?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 11:47:43 am »

OK, dang, exactly what I needed . . . . shoulda known they were smart enough to have figured this out for me   ;D
I had misunderstood manual as setting a value that would make all files play at that particular setting and there would be no leveling to maintain a constant volume . . . .
shoulda spent more time with trial and error  :-\
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up