INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good DAC receiver for Windows 10 HTPC  (Read 1728 times)

davewave

• Junior Woodchuck
Good DAC receiver for Windows 10 HTPC
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:58:18 pm »

I am investigating updating my 25 year old NAD receiver for the office computer.   Right now I am feeding an old Creative Audigy card into the receiver and from there to PSB Alpha speakers.

I would like to bypass using a soundcard and use the receiver as the sound card.

I found a discontinued Marantz receiver that looks OK for this purpose.  But I am concerned about the fact that that particular receiver is 7 years old and driver updates will be unlikely.

There is a NAD D 7045 that looks promising.   Anybody use that with JRiver and a HTPC?   Hoping to use it for hi res PCM and USB to DSD direct.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Good DAC receiver for Windows 10 HTPC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:35:51 pm »

Marantz receivers don't have USB audio inputs. So your hookup to a Marantz receiver would be over HDMI.

What "driver" updates do you think might be necessary for a device that doesn't interface via USB?

If you know a specific Marantz receiver that does what you want, please post that info.

I wonder if you have a typo about the DAC. The NAD 7045 is an old stereo receiver. There does exist a NAD D 3045 DAC with USB input however.

davewave

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 09:26:15 am »

Yes you are correct that is a typo.   NAD D 3045.

The Marantz in question is:  HD-AMP1.  And it definitely has USB input aimed at computers.

I really should call that unit and the NAD Integrated Digital Amplifiers not Receivers as neither has a traditional FM module; but then again what was the last time anybody used the FM (or AM) modules on their receivers?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:36:13 pm »

Ah yes, the HD-Amp1 is an integrated amp, not a receiver, and that really in name only: with only 2 inputs, it's really more like a DAC with an amp shoved in.

If you don't actually have any interest in a receiver or processor for video or HDMI switching, or switching for other components, have you considered just a DAC with a separate amplifier?  This way you could get a good quality amp that you would never need to upgrade, and which would in turn free you to get the DAC best suited to your needs without regard to its amplification ability.

Devices with a USB input and an amplfier section suitable for speakers are rare.

Wheaten

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 02:53:07 am »

Just keep the gear you have now, most of the NAD's have a bridge to disconnect the pre amp and power amp. Buy an decent DAC an connect it to the PC and NAD to it. For example the iFi Zen DAC or the cheap but good KGUSS DAC-k3.
Both have a volume knob, so you can connect the output to the power amp in and bypass the pre-amp.
If you need to connect other gear with the NAD, use one of the pre-amp inputs.
Currently running similar setup using a NAD C740 and T747.
Pages: [1]   Go Up