INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me get my file display to work correctly - SOLVED  (Read 737 times)

ratmice

• Recent member
Help me get my file display to work correctly - SOLVED
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »

So, ever since I've used MC (currently on 24) I have had an issue getting my artist view to look like I want it. What I have now is a thumbnail view on top, sorted by 'album artist (sort)' and displaying 'album artist'. In the lower pane (files) I have a detail view grouped by album. The problem is that it is still sorted by date, despite not choosing the grouping 'Album (by date)'.

So, for example, There is an artist that has 2 albums, one titled 'Wicked Live' released in 2000, and one titled 'Allophone' released in 2002. In the file listing 'Wicked Live' precedes, 'Allophone'. If I change the list style to Album thumbnail, everything sorts correctly, but, obviously, the detail info, that I want, is not there.

Is there a way to get it to sort ONLY by album name, ignoring the date? It's been driving me crazy, for like years. I'm sure there's must be a simple solution, but it escapes me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

danfl75

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Help me get my file display to work correctly
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:18:50 pm »

Hi Ratmice, I might be unclear on what you want, but couldn't you just click on a different column, album, while in list mode? If that gives the view you want for that artist, then you just need to figure out how to apply it to all artists/albums/files. I know there's a way, but can't recall right now. Maybe it remembers?

ratmice

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 01:17:01 pm »

In this view the date is not in a column, it's at the far right of the grouping header (see pic) and cannot be accessed, as far as I can tell.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:25:34 pm »

This question comes up from time to time.  It is VERY confusing.  You are not alone.

[Album] is sorted specially in this view and is sorted by date.  There is another "group by" which you might want to use instead which is called "Aritst - Album (Year)".  That one will sort like you want:  Alphabetically by Album name.  The Year part (which is confusing) is a 3rd level sort and shouldn't influence the sort that you want.

Note that your display will now show the Artist, the Album and the Year.  If you don't want that, you'll need to make your own custom field.  This is really easy and will take you about 60 seconds total.  Make a new field called something like "Album Sort".  Then make it calculated data with a calculated value of [Album] .  Now use that as your Group By and it will sort alphabetically by Album *and* show you only the Album name in the header.

I hope that helps.

Brian.

ratmice

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 06:07:57 pm »

Brian,

You are a scholar among men! This did the trick. I can't tell you how long that has been irritating me. Thank you for the answer.

due to my naming scheme there is a redundant date in the grouping display, but I will tackle the second part of your suggestion and hopefully get rid of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up