INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicates because of UNC path  (Read 862 times)

sraymond

Duplicates because of UNC path
« on: May 26, 2003, 10:45:53 pm »

Well, I've found what appears to be quite a downside to using the UNC path to media files.  Once the media has had the filenames changed, import "reimports" the items because it sees the drive letter path and thinks it is new.

Is there an easy solution to this?  I tried the dupfinder plugin, but it doesn't seem to catch these duplicates.

Help...

Scott-

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Duplicates because of UNC path
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 02:57:20 pm »

Getting rid of the dups should be easy enough...

If you have legitimate library entries with both UNC and disk letter filenames you should be able to find the dups with something like ~dup=[artist],[album],[name] then sort on filename to group all the drive letter entries together and delete them.

If there are no legitimate drive letter entries, just search where filename=x:\ or something.

The next time you import, manually enter the UNC name of the base directory: \\servername\music  It should be remembered for the next import.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 03:24:16 pm »

I use

~dup=[artist],[album],[name],[duration]
or
~dup=[artist],[name],[duration]

'Double Vision' Charted At 02 In 1978

Listening to: 'Double Vision' from 'The Very Best And Beyond' by 'Foreigner' on Media Center 9.0

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 06:16:53 pm »

Thanks guys!  This is a good short term solution.  I had forgotten about the ~dup function...

I'm doing it for photos, so I used [name],[file size] and it works perfectly.  Of course, I'll have to do this each time I import photos - I bit of a pain, but for now it'll work.

I wonder what the long-term solution is...

Scott-

RemyJ

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 10:17:39 pm »

I wonder what the long-term solution is...
Scott-

Detecting the fact that a UNC name and a driver letter are the same  during an import would be a good idea but do you really need to import from both the mapped drive and the UNC path?   Can't you just stick to importing from the UNC path?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 06:59:44 am »

Oh...  I get it.  If I import using the UNC path, MC won't see the items as "new".  OK.  That's what I need to do.  Sorry for being a little slow in understanding.

Thanks!

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up