INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using two sound devices at the same time. Is it possible?  (Read 1923 times)

cochinada

• World Citizen
Using two sound devices at the same time. Is it possible?
« on: December 11, 2018, 01:02:20 pm »

Hello everybody,

I want to listen to my SACD's in multi-channel instead of stereo.

My setup is the following: basically I connect my HTPC to the AV processor "Anthem AVM 50v 3d" via HDMI which in turn is connected to my TV also via HDMI and at the same time I have an external DAC connected to the HTPC via USB for playing 2 channel music.

My external DAC is (or will be) much better than the AV so the idea is to always play CD's via DAC and SACD via DAC for the front channels and via HDMI for the surround channels but in order for this to work, both connections must carry sound of course.

I hope I made my self clear...

The thing is that I cannot activate sound simultaneous for both devices because I have to chose an option for 'Audio Device' in JRiver and either I define "AVM 50v" or "CA USB Audio [WASAPI]". The one that is not defined is completely mute.

Is there any way to do as I want?

Thank you in advance!

cochinada

• World Citizen
Re: Using two sound devices at the same time. Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 09:39:38 am »

Let me answer to myself.  ;D

What i found so far is that there are two methods, all involving Windows.

1. Use the 'stereo mixer'. Not always possible and more serious it introduces a delay between the two outputs (about 0.1s audible as an echo).
2. Use a freeware program called 'Voicemeter'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvae_2WOSQ

As I can't accept any echo I will try the 2nd method. The question remaining is if this affects the audio quality somehow as someone complained in the comments section below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvae_2WOSQ

What I also don't know is what settings should be defined in MediaCenter for using now this 'virtual' device, e.g., channels and so on.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Using two sound devices at the same time. Is it possible?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 10:43:27 am »

You can adjust timing for the zones.  Try the wiki for more information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up