INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DST - can it be used and still use Tags???  (Read 2004 times)

cochinada

• World Citizen
DST - can it be used and still use Tags???
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:02:30 pm »

Hello,

I'm sure this question must have been asked before but I wasn't able to find the answer. Sorry if I'm repeating it.  ::)

I'm trying to understand how SACD_extract works and have done lot's of experiences so far.

When I convert an ISO with options 'export multi-channel tracks' and 'output as Phillips DSDIFF file' I get individual tracks compressed, so I've concluded, but I'm not able to tag them using for instance Mp3tag (nor Foobar).

If I chose option 'output as Sony DSF file' I'm now able to tag them but the files are huge (about 3x bigger!) because they are no longer compressed as it seems.

There is also this option 'convert DST to DSD' which seems to 'override' the Sony option above as the resulting files are always uncompressed, so I don't see the point.

Question is: how can I have the best of both worlds, that is, smaller files (compressed) and tag-able?

Finally, does MC plays both formats? I can't try it yet because my current DAC only accepts PCM.

Thank you very much in advance!

EDIT: I found that Wavepack can compress in a lossless way these DSF files and still use tags but only with MC23 (and above?) is possible that "WavPack DSD files play as native DSD if the DSD bitstreaming feature is enabled". Is that so?
Does this means that MC22 will convert them to PCM first? That might be too many conversions because my future DAC will support only DSD and I will have to convert on the fly whatever PCM files I have to DSD with JRiver.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up