INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remove Directory from Library  (Read 3838 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Remove Directory from Library
« on: December 22, 2018, 02:11:12 pm »

Hi.  My music is imported from several different directory locations.  I'd like to completely remove one of the directories so it's no longer part of my library. 

Best way to do this?  Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

swiv3d

Re: Remove Directory from Library
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:34:08 pm »

This is a bit vague - do you want to just get rid of the music files from one of the directories from your library or perhaps move files from one of the directories to another? When you don't specify the problem it is hard to offer any relevant help.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:40:26 pm »

I have a directory of music that is staying exactly as is on disk.  I simply want to remove it's indexed entries from my library and will no longer import or watch this directory.

When I removed the directory from the list of imports, I was hoping that this would trigger a re-index and simply remove the entries that were originally indexed into the library from that particular directory.

So, how best to update the library to reflect changes when a directory is simply no longer on the import list because that directory should no longer be part of the library?

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:08:35 pm »

Then you sort your library by the filename in standard view, then select all of the files from the directory you want rid of and then click delete and choose delete from library, which will leave the files on the hard disc but remove their entries from the MC library.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 02:53:25 am »

Or drag & drop directory which you want to remove to empty playing now view. Select all files from playing now and Press shift+delete. Selection window will appear. Select "Remove from Media Library".

It might be safe to test the procedure with some files you don't mind losing just to be sure you know what you are doing.

MikeO

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 04:12:47 am »

You're probably protecting a missing drive without realizing it

This is designed so you don't louse up and remove files such as those on an external USB drive if it isn't connected or not recognized for some reason

Do This

Tools> Import> Configure auto Import
Remove the directory from the Import List
In the bottom Pane you will see "Fix Broken Links" with a drop down select "Yes" NOT "Yes (Protect files on missing drive)"

Click Finish and Auto Import should start if not start it manually It should now clean up as you want

You can do the deletes as above but I think this is the "official" way

PS Backup your library first !!!

Good Luck

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 04:42:55 am »

I don't think that is the case this time MikeO. Whoareyou is in a different situation. For a start, Whoareyou has already removed the directory in question from his Auto Import settings.

Either of Swiv3d's or Lepa's solution will work.

It is a good suggestion to back up the Library before trying any solution though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 08:46:50 am »

Thanks everyone.  I hoped there was some database function that I overlooked

In past, I think I accomplished this task by
1) Renaming real directory on disk from original to some temp name
2) Creating an empty dummy directory with original name
3) Rerunning import and having it fix broken links
4) Remove the (now dummy) directory from the list of imports
5) Rename directories on physical disk

So I think that process worked, but it was a while ago, and after completion I mostly remember thinking  there must be a better option.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 06:20:04 pm »

The Audio > Files view is also helpful for this.  Because you can use the File Location pane to drill down to the exact directory you want to remove, and click on it to display only those files.  Then select and delete them from the library.

It sounds like you understand the procedure quite well.  I am just offering another tool that might make it a bit easier.

Brian.

jamesSwee

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 12:51:41 pm »

The Audio > Files view is also helpful for this.  Because you can use the File Location pane to drill down to the exact directory you want to remove, and click on it to display only those files.  Then select and delete them from the library.

It sounds like you understand the procedure quite well.  I am just offering another tool that might make it a bit easier.

Brian.
Thanks Brian - that was the answer I was looking for
Pages: [1]   Go Up