INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching the audio device in macOS has no effect  (Read 1879 times)

tyler69

• Citizen of the Universe
Switching the audio device in macOS has no effect
« on: December 23, 2018, 07:07:39 am »

I have set "Default Core Audio" as a sound device in MC's audio settings. When I start MC, it plays to the output selected in macOS, but when I change the output in macOS, the music keeps playing without switching the device. Only when I quit and restart MC it starts playing to the output set before closing MC.

It might be a user error, can somebody please advise? From my understanding, the output should follow the settings in macOS when "Default Core Audio" is set in MC, no?!

blgentry

Re: Switching the audio device in macOS has no effect
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:24:05 am »

This behavior makes sense to me.  I think MC is opening the "real" audio device and not the alias of "Default Core Audio", which might point to any number of different devices.

I always advise people to configure MC to select the REAL audio device and NOT the Default one.  This keeps you from having weird situations where the system default changes from run to run and suddenly MC plays to the wrong device.  I would also swear that there are situations where "default" will not play correctly, but the real device will.   (Though I'm not 100% sure of that last part)

If you want to use multiple devices with MC, I would set up zones for each one.  Or just switch it in MC's options whenever you want to switch.

Just my opinions.

Brian.

tyler69

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 05:05:25 am »

Thanks blgentry.

Just stumbled across this thing again. I play Radio Paradise in MC25 on macOS and want to output to TuneAero (which is installed on a Windows PC).
Following your instructions of just changing the device in MC whenever I want to use it is quite cumbersome for the following reasons:
1. the TuneAero "device" does ONLY appear in MC, when I select it in macOS as an output device. As soon as I select "internal speakers" in macOS, the TuneAero device does not show up in MC anymore. So that are two redundant settings I need to set before accomplishing my use case.
2. Assuming I have set the output device in macOS and then in MC, I need to stop the track and start again for MC to actually also play to TuneAero.

I still would like MC to follow the setting in macOS, however, if that is not intended I would like MC to at least see all the Outputs macOS sees and also to pick up the change without the need to interrupt playback.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 08:04:21 am »

The technical details of this are beyond my understanding.  Perhaps someone else can comment on this.

Good luck to you.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up