INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing parts of beginnings and ends of tracks  (Read 2030 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
Missing parts of beginnings and ends of tracks
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »

Especially on classical recordings like operas, where there is no silence between tracks, Id MC23.0.102 will chop off part of the last note of a track and the beginning of the first note of the next track. It also injects very short silences that are not on the original CDs. I checked to see that gapless is on for sequential album tracks and manual album tracks.

I found another setting that appeared to be checked by default, which might be relevant: "Disable audio buffer to disk (for low powered systems)". But when I went back to try and change this setting, I could no longer find it. Please let me know where this setting can be found.

This chopped off sound problem doesn't happen with the same recordings when I use MC24 on Windows computers. I will upgrade to Id MC24 as soon as I get the instructions (see other thread). Maybe it will take care of the problem.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Missing parts of beginnings and ends of tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 03:03:11 pm »

Especially on classical recordings like operas, where there is no silence between tracks, Id MC23.0.102 will chop off part of the last note of a track and the beginning of the first note of the next track. It also injects very short silences that are not on the original CDs. I checked to see that gapless is on for sequential album tracks and manual album tracks.

I found another setting that appeared to be checked by default, which might be relevant: "Disable audio buffer to disk (for low powered systems)". But when I went back to try and change this setting, I could no longer find it. Please let me know where this setting can be found.

This chopped off sound problem doesn't happen with the same recordings when I use MC24 on Windows computers. I will upgrade to Id MC24 as soon as I get the instructions (see other thread). Maybe it will take care of the problem.
For MC on the Id you should always use gapless for switching tracks track transitions (which is before the individual settings for gapless is on for sequential album tracks and manual album tracks that you mentioned).
Also do not play silence should be unchecked.

Those are the default settings for the Id.

Where is the material being played from?
Stored on the Id?
Stored on another MC and Pushed to the Id as a renderer
or
Stored on another MC and the Id is connecting a library server client?

The settings for disabling buffering are in Media Network settings and both audio and video should be checked by default if you are on an IdPi and on a IdNuc you'll get best performance if they are off.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 01:08:12 pm »

For MC on the Id you should always use gapless for switching tracks track transitions (which is before the individual settings for gapless is on for sequential album tracks and manual album tracks that you mentioned).
Also do not play silence should be unchecked.

All above items are already set as you describe.

Those are the default settings for the Id.

Where is the material being played from?

On Synology DS214Play NAS drive.

Stored on the Id?

No.

Stored on another MC and Pushed to the Id as a renderer

Renderer is Bel Canto RefStream.

or
Stored on another MC and the Id is connecting a library server client?

Is the NAS a library server client?

The settings for disabling buffering are in Media Network settings and both audio and video should be checked by default if you are on an IdPi and on a IdNuc you'll get best performance if they are off.

It is an IdNUC. I am in Media Network settings and finally once again found the correct Advanced line to click on and I just unchecked both audio and video buffers. The chopping off of notes is only slightly improved (less seems to be chopped off) and silences are still being interjected between tracks, silences which don't exist in the recording. I exited and restarted MC Id GUI to be sure the settings changes were saved (they were) but still having the same problem. I also tested it on another opera and it has the same problems. I would guess that any recording, regardless of genre, if it has no silences between tracks, but rather continuous music on the whole recording and the track marks just serve as place marks between sections, you will have the problems of chopped off notes and interjected silences.

A related issue is that when I am trying to work with the Options settings, the screen regularly appears to lock up. What is happening is that a window asking for a response is showing only in the bottom menu, instead of the window appearing on top of the screen I am working on where I would easily see it. Can you please change the software so that pop-up windows always pop up instead of regularly (but not always) disappearing in the bottom menu?

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 01:12:49 pm »

This will happen if MC is transcoding to MP3, which it shouldn't need to do. But it appears you're using the Id is a client. On the Id, check Tools, Options, Media Network, Client Options and make sure Conversion is set to "Don't convert audio" and Encoder is set to "PCM 24-bit".

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 01:32:15 pm »

Also to check, if you are playing the material from the NAS are you using the NAS as a file server or as a DLNA Library?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 05:34:04 pm »

This will happen if MC is transcoding to MP3, which it shouldn't need to do. But it appears you're using the Id is a client. On the Id, check Tools, Options, Media Network, Client Options and make sure Conversion is set to "Don't convert audio" and Encoder is set to "PCM 24-bit".

Thank you DJ. While I had selected, in configuring the DLNA server, Original for Mode and PCM 24 Bit  for Format (these instructions provided by Bel Canto in their RefStream owner's manual), I hadn't been instructed to even look inside Client Options>Audio Conversion. Conversion was set at "Convert audio if necessary" and Encoder was set at MP3 high bandwidth. I've changed them to your recommendations and clicked OK to close all Options windows. I still have the same problems. Does MC have to be restarted for changes in Options to take effect?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 05:37:25 pm »

Also to check, if you are playing the material from the NAS are you using the NAS as a file server or as a DLNA Library?

I configured the server as Generic DLNA per Bel Canto instructions. Is that telling the NAS what role to take? Is it then a DLNA library? Or do I have to look inside the NAS software to see if it is a file server or a DLNA library?

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 06:51:52 pm »

Thank you DJ. While I had selected, in configuring the DLNA server, Original for Mode and PCM 24 Bit  for Format (these instructions provided by Bel Canto in their RefStream owner's manual), I hadn't been instructed to even look inside Client Options>Audio Conversion. Conversion was set at "Convert audio if necessary" and Encoder was set at MP3 high bandwidth. I've changed them to your recommendations and clicked OK to close all Options windows. I still have the same problems. Does MC have to be restarted for changes in Options to take effect?

It's worth rebooting to see if that helps, but reading your next post I think you'll need to make similar changes in your Generic DLNA setup. Whenever I have gaps between tracks (or tracks truncated) while listening to opera it turns out that somewhere along the line something is converting to mp3.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 01:06:58 am »

It's worth rebooting to see if that helps, but reading your next post I think you'll need to make similar changes in your Generic DLNA setup. Whenever I have gaps between tracks (or tracks truncated) while listening to opera it turns out that somewhere along the line something is converting to mp3.

I did close Media Center Id and then rebooted the Id, but it didn't solve the problem. I mentioned before how I set up the Generic Dlna, but you may have missed it. Mode is Original and Format is PCM 24 Bit. I also have looked in every line in Options, but have not found any other locations that had MP3 in them (that doesn't mean I haven't missed something). I haven't yet compared every single Options setup line between MC Id and MC 24, which plays operas with no problem from my Windows 7 Pro computer. I will do that another day. Meanwhile I don't know what else to try in the Id.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 10:34:41 am »

I'm still not clear on how the data on the NAS is being accessed.
Are you accessing it as a file share with it imported into the Id's main library or
are you choosing the NAS as a Library Server (in this case, a DLNA server)?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 01:22:08 pm »

I'm still not clear on how the data on the NAS is being accessed.
Are you accessing it as a file share with it imported into the Id's main library or
are you choosing the NAS as a Library Server (in this case, a DLNA server)?

Bob, I don't know enough to be sure what the answer to your question is so I will tell you as much as I think is relevant. While MC Id seems to usually import the files into its main library automatically, I also sometimes go to Tools>Import>Run Auto-Import Now. (I also do this process in MC 24 on my computers if I want to get files into the library as soon as I've ripped them and I try, but don't often succeed in any reasonable time, to do the same in JRiver, which often takes days to update its library.) In Tools>Options>Media Network>Add or configure DLNA servers, in the top box I have Generic DLNA. If this info gives you the answer to your question, please let me know how I've set up my NAS. If this doesn't give you the answer, please ask me some more specific questions about what choices I made in the MC Id setup process so I can give you the info you need.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 01:39:26 pm »

Bob I just read Brad's announcement and tried to download Id MC 24.0.72-2 using 12-Enter, but my Id didn't update. It's still stuck on 23.0.102. Should I post this on his announcement thread, although it isn't technically a bug?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 06:39:29 pm »

My bad for not being clear.

In the tree under Playing Now
You have Playing From
which will either be
Main Library
if your NAS is used as a file server or
The Name of Your DLNA NAS Server
if it's using the NAS as a DLNA server.

What do you have?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 01:42:36 am »

My bad for not being clear.

In the tree under Playing Now
You have Playing From
which will either be
Main Library
if your NAS is used as a file server or
The Name of Your DLNA NAS Server
if it's using the NAS as a DLNA server.

What do you have?

Got it! In Id MC 23 DiskStation is highlighted and Main Library is grayed out and cannot be selected. So the NAS is a DLNA server.

When I look at MC 24 in my Win 7 Pro computers, both of those are playing from Main Library and can't be changed to DiskStation. I have no idea why they are set up differently. Mounting the NAS drive in the Id setup was certainly a lot more complicated and difficult than doing so in my Win 7 computers. Since MC 24 in the computers can play operas with no problem, should we try to change the NAS setup in the Id to also be a file server? If yes, please send exact instructions, or a link to same, as to how to make that change. I think I would rather only have to do it once, so should I wait until I can load Id MC 24?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 01:40:02 pm »

Got it! In Id MC 23 DiskStation is highlighted and Main Library is grayed out and cannot be selected. So the NAS is a DLNA server.

When I look at MC 24 in my Win 7 Pro computers, both of those are playing from Main Library and can't be changed to DiskStation. I have no idea why they are set up differently. Mounting the NAS drive in the Id setup was certainly a lot more complicated and difficult than doing so in my Win 7 computers. Since MC 24 in the computers can play operas with no problem, should we try to change the NAS setup in the Id to also be a file server? If yes, please send exact instructions, or a link to same, as to how to make that change. I think I would rather only have to do it once, so should I wait until I can load Id MC 24?
I don't know why your "Main Library" entry would be grayed out.

It's starting to sound as if there is an issue with file corruption on your IdNUC. You may need to run the repair stick on it.
I was going to generate a new repair image at any rate to cut down on the number of steps. You might want to wait until that's done. Likely tomorrow.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 04:06:10 pm »

I don't know why your "Main Library" entry would be grayed out.

It's starting to sound as if there is an issue with file corruption on your IdNUC. You may need to run the repair stick on it.
I was going to generate a new repair image at any rate to cut down on the number of steps. You might want to wait until that's done. Likely tomorrow.

Thanks Bob, especially for a Sunday response. I will wait for the new repair stick.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 03:16:33 pm »

Thanks Bob, especially for a Sunday response. I will wait for the new repair stick.
It's live now under the Updating the IdNUC  thread near the top of this board.

The image to DL is:
http://files.jriver.com/Id/IdX/idXrepair7.img

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 04:20:06 pm »

Thanks Bob. I'm jammed with installations and proposals. I will let you know as soon as I get time to try it.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 04:41:06 am »

Bob, I am still too busy with work to deal with this. But I need to update you to say that many more recordings, not just operas, are having this problem. Several additional seconds are added between tracks than what was on the original recording and the end of the last note of the previous track and the beginning of the first note of the next track are being cut off. With operas, it is also happening with MC24 run on a PC, but I haven't had time to test other types of recordings on MC24.
Pages: [1]   Go Up