INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Change music file location  (Read 3205 times)

Zaro

• Recent member
Change music file location
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:02:34 pm »

Where [in MC23] can I change the file path location for my music files.

I have had my files on a NAS but I recently added a 500GB SSD (Solid State Drive) to my local music server computer and copied all of the music files from the NAS to the SSD, but MC23 still points to my NAS files. I have looked at the settings under Options but don't see the pointer (link) to where music files are stored.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Change music file location
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 02:23:40 pm »

Options > File Location
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Zaro

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 02:33:17 pm »

Apparently to Matt,

I have looked in Options > File Locations
but none of the items in this list points to my music files.

I checked > Audio (CD Ribs and Podcasts), > Images, > Ripped DVD, > Ripped BD, > Conversion Cache, > Program files
none of these point to where my files are located.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:34:44 pm »

Then maybe you imported from a directory you are not ripping to.

You can move files using the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool.  Read the wiki for more information:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Zaro

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:12:21 pm »

Thanks for the pointer -- I'm somewhat new to MC specific mechanisms so I appreciate the help.

My situation is the reverse of what is outlined in the Find & Replace write up, except I attempting to move files from my NAS (Z:\My Music\My Music-FLAC\  to a new local SSD (F:\).

Wiki was helpful -- Find & Replace seems like the proper way to get this done, but during the operation I get all of these pop-up windows indicating that one or more files can't be moved because the properties can't be moved. Not sure what I can do that, but after I shut down the process I go back to my NAS only to find that files have been [deleted] from the base drive folder.

Possible move is not the correct process, possible copy ??

regards.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 06:30:25 pm »

Read the Wiki article again. Twice. Carefully.

You don't need to move anything, as you have already copied the files to your SSD. You just need to use the Rename, Move, & Copy Files function in "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)" mode, and use "Find & Replace" to change the location from the NAS to the SSD, with the "Directories" and "Filename" checkboxes unticked.

You have probably moved some files from the NAS to the SSD, rather than MC has deleted them from the NAS. A move obviously removes the files from the original location. Your popup messages were probably as a result of trying to overwrite files on the SSD. But I can't be sure. You'll have to fix any damage you have done. The RM&CF is a very powerful tool. Use it very carefully.

If you still have trouble, search for posts by blgentry regarding moving files. He has written about the process several times.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107781.msg748068.html#msg748068
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,105336.msg732672.html#msg732672
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Zaro

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:58:39 pm »

The RM&CF is most certainly a powerful tool and I will use it very carefully.

Thanks for your help.

cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up