INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arch Linux Problem  (Read 3367 times)

ludvick

• Recent member
Arch Linux Problem
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:33:23 pm »

Audiphile Linux (based on Arch Linux) + JRiver Media Center 24.0.74 (updated from 24.0.72) and there is a problem with gapless playing.

At previous release when a song started to be played the next one also appeared on the currently played list and it worked until the end of an album.
Newest one shows next song only every two songs played - and after makes a short break and again repeats two songs gapless playing.

Downgrading JRiver MC to previous release (24.0.72) solved the problem.

Were there any changes made in this function?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Arch Linux Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:27:40 am »

Audiphile Linux (based on Arch Linux) + JRiver Media Center 24.0.74 (updated from 24.0.72) and there is a problem with gapless playing.

At previous release when a song started to be played the next one also appeared on the currently played list and it worked until the end of an album.
Nerwest one shows next song only every two songs played - and after makes a short break and again repeats two songs gapless playing.

Downgrading JRiver MC to previous release (24.0.72) solved the problem.

Were there any changes made in this function?
Not directly.
Can you try the 24.0.76 build and see if that behaves the same?
It has more logging too so if you can reproduce it a log would be nice.

ludvick

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 06:15:19 pm »

Hi Bob,

thank you for your reply.

First of all I need to put more information.

My Audio configutration is:

- an Intel NUC computer with only AudioPhile Linux installed on internal disk
- a Seagate Backup Plus Hub 6TB HD (this is my audio library disk)
I use no keyboard and no mouse for it - all I do through a mobile application.

The problem, I described, happens when I use BubbleUPNP on my mobile for DLNA Server.
I tried also different apps, including JRiver for Android (I know is still developed). All of them behave similar.

As BubbleUPNP is the best for me, I will describe how it behaves.

When sending an album through the mobile application to be played in JRiver, there appear first two songs which are played.

JRiver 24.0.72:
When the second song is started, the first one disapears from playlist, and the third one appears. It goes like that until the end of an album.
No gaps, no problems.

JRiver 24.0.74:
When the second song is started, nothing changes. When song number two finishes, there is a short gap and next two songs appear on the playlist.
This is repeated until an album is finished.

JRiver 24.0.76:
When the second song is started, it goes on the first position and the third song appears below. There is no gap as it was in 24.0.74 version.
But... when the second song is finished then it is played again and then the third song. It is repeated until the end of album.
The songs are played like that: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5.

I see there is a change, but it still doesn't work as in 24.0.72 build.

Currently to solve the problem, I use Gizmo application - it sends whole album to the playlist and there is no gaps and no song is repeatedly played.
Unfortunately, I do not like Gizmo application as much as BubbleUPNP.

PS. When I have some free time, I will generate logs and put them here (hope it will be today :)).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:28:00 am »

So when you are using Bubble (on a mobile phone?) you are playing to MC as a DLNA renderer.
Where are the tracks coming from?
Is the Seagate Backup Plus Hub 6TB HD being used as a DLNA server from the Bubble on the mobile device
OR some other configuration??

ludvick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 06:39:08 pm »

My bad! I'm very sorry, I didn't tell everything about my audio stuff.

Intel NUC is connected with a HDMI cable to ONKYO TX-8270 + Monitor Audio MR6 speakers.

Seagate Backup Plus Hub HD is connected to the Intel NUC as an external disk (with XFS filesystem, containing only flac files).
Yes, the disk is used as a DLNA server from the Bubble.

When I listen to the music, I start BubbleUPNP on my mobile.
An album chosen (in Bubble) from JRiver's (Audiophile 24-bit DAC) Music Library, "is sent" to MC (DLNA renderer) on the IntelNUC.
The music files are played on my ONKYO (through the integrated HD Audio sound card).

EDIT:
I have just tried new build of JRiver - 24.0.77 and noticed it behaves similar to the build 24.0.76.

I attach logs of 24.0.77 build (...01-36-59) and 24.0.72 build (...01-55-52).
Both were created during listenning the same album.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:46:31 am »

My bad! I'm very sorry, I didn't tell everything about my audio stuff.

Intel NUC is connected with a HDMI cable to ONKYO TX-8270 + Monitor Audio MR6 speakers.

Seagate Backup Plus Hub HD is connected to the Intel NUC as an external disk (with XFS filesystem, containing only flac files).
Yes, the disk is used as a DLNA server from the Bubble.

When I listen to the music, I start BubbleUPNP on my mobile.
An album chosen (in Bubble) from JRiver's (Audiophile 24-bit DAC) Music Library, "is sent" to MC (DLNA renderer) on the IntelNUC.
The music files are played on my ONKYO (through the integrated HD Audio sound card).

EDIT:
I have just tried new build of JRiver - 24.0.77 and noticed it behaves similar to the build 24.0.76.

I attach logs of 24.0.77 build (...01-36-59) and 24.0.72 build (...01-55-52).
Both were created during listenning the same album.
So the DLNA server in this case is ALSO MC on the NUC?
In which case Bubble on the mobile is being used as a fancy remote, correct?

ludvick

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »

So the DLNA server in this case is ALSO MC on the NUC?
In which case Bubble on the mobile is being used as a fancy remote, correct?

Yes, they are connected together. Linux on the NUC mounts and operates the Seagate hard drive.
Anyway, IP of NUC (operating system) is 192.168.1.4 and IP of JRiver's Music Library is 192.168.1.14. If it matters...

You are also correct for the role of Bubble. It is a remote to choose music.

Have you maybe found already anything interesting/important in the logs I sent before?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 08:57:28 am »

The logs show different behavior, the one that "works" is sending as I would expect, a single SetAVTransportURI command followed by successive SetNextAVTransportURI commands whereas the the one that doesn't work is sending interspersed SetAVTransportURI and SetNextAVTransportURI commands.

The setups in MC are not the same between the two logs. The first is doing transcoding, the second isn't.

Why are there 2 IP addresess here? IP of NUC (operating system) is 192.168.1.4 and IP of JRiver's Music Library is 192.168.1.14. If it matters...

Is there not a single OS on the NUC? I'm not certain I have your setup totally parsed yet.

In the case of Bubble acting only as a remote for a single instance of MC which is the server and the renderer I wouldn't expect to see any transcoding.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 12:54:05 pm »

What I see testing this is if MC is the server and renderer and bubble is set to use SetNext in it's option for MC's media renderer, all versions of MC (even back to MC23) behave the same as you describe in your last message.
1,2,2,3,3, etc

When bubble uses a different MC server it works as expected.

I think this has something to do with the way MC will short-circuit a file playback if the file is already in the MC that's being asked to play the file.
Will need to look into this more...

ludvick

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 10:04:15 pm »

Hi Bob,

I know this topic hasn't been posted for long time... and there is new version of MC... plus newer (26) is already pre-ordering...

anyway...

do you have any news about the situation?
In a meantime I have reinstalled completely the system (Audiophile Linux) and situation is not changed - still there is 1,2,2,3,3 problem... No release from version 25 played good.

Contacting BubbbleUPnP support centre, I got to know that there is probably problem with Gapless control on JRiver's side.
I am not a programmer and haven't tested this yet - but I am going to do such a test as soon as I have a free moment...

Hoping that you will find a solution soon and it will be possible to come back to BubbleUPnP (temporaily I use Gizmo, which is much simplier and works different way).

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up