INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mediainfo integration  (Read 722 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Mediainfo integration
« on: August 08, 2023, 10:00:22 am »

Is it possible to integrate with Mediainfo so that we could see detailed specs on Audio and Video formats?

I want to know for a video (M2TS, Particle, MKV, MP4, etc...) if the audio is DTS:X, Dolby Atmos, etc...  which I use in custom tags to determine whether or not to bitstream or decode to PCM and feed my DAC.

I can manually do this, but would be great to somehow automate this, e.g. if audio stream == DTS:X || Dolby Atmos then bitstream (or better yet, play to this Zone).

perhaps there is a way to do this already?

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Mediainfo integration
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 10:05:30 am »

We've added a lot of extra stream information in recent versions of Media Center (partly in MC30, more in MC31).

For example, check the Audio Codec field.

If you are not seeing those fields in the tag window, you can edit the tag window to contain them, or even reset the tag window templates to the (new) defaults which include those fields.

The new information is only available for files imported since the data gathering was introduced - or you can use the "Library Tools -> Analyze Video" to update the information.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 01:48:09 pm »

If you right click on a file there is a "Send To" menu with lots of choices.  There is "external program" where you can add programs to "send" things to.  I just tried for 10 minutes to get MediaInfo to work there, but I couldn't quite get it.  I'm using a Mac so the linkage of "external program" is probably quite different than Windows.  So it might work for you.

Brian.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 03:23:35 pm »

I don't find a need for mediainfo data anymore now that MC has its own scraping. However you can use MCUtils or jmone's Swag of Tool to to get MediaInfo output into MC
I Windows Send to External for viewing is just a simple point to mediainfo binary and setting "[Filename]" as parameter. Mac could be different or broken

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 11:52:16 am »

Thanks all.  Hendrick's suggestion helped - Audio Codec was not added to my "Movie" template.  Added it, and the proper audio codec appears (thankfully, re-analyze video from a particle works!)

I also set up the external mediainfo.exe as a "Send To" target and that works for actual video files, but of course, sending an particle (.mpls) to it produces nothing.  I expect that at least.

Looking at all the additional tags, I think this is enough for my needs.  Often forget just how deep Media Center is when it comes to the library.  easy to get lost, incredibly powerful!

One question - if I were to "reset" to the stock fields, will my various custom fields be completely lost, or will they be retained, but I can re-add them easily to the appropriate template?

Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 12:00:19 pm »

You would only reset the tag window templates, eg. which fields are shown in what category - the actual fields themselves are not affected.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

FenceMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 01:36:33 pm »

Bit of a pain to setup but you can show lots of info now.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 02:58:37 pm »

Bit of a pain to setup but you can show lots of info now.

yeah that is something I want to do...  it looks daunting but i'll figure it out.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2023, 07:41:20 pm »

....e.g. if audio stream == DTS:X || Dolby Atmos then bitstream (or better yet, play to this Zone).

perhaps there is a way to do this already?

With MC now able to detect Atmos etc, I'm hoping for an expansion of the existing "Tools--> Options--> Audio--> Bitstreaming" will allow us to do this automatically.

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up