INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dynamic Zones list not updating on Client  (Read 1870 times)

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
Dynamic Zones list not updating on Client
« on: February 07, 2019, 03:51:52 pm »

A few times recently I have noticed that the list of dynamic zones shown on a library server PC is not being updated on a library client PC.

To give an example, one library client PC 'A' has a local zone called 'Dining Room' which appears as such on the server and should then appear as 'There: Dining Room' on another client PC ('B') and it does. When I shutdown 'A' the zone disappears from the zones list on the library server PC, but not on 'B'. Trying 'Refresh Dynamic Entries' has no effect. The only way to update the list is to completely close MC on 'B' and re-open it.

Conversely, when I start 'A', Dining Room automatically re-appears on the library server zones list, but on 'B' it appears just as 'A' (i.e. the name of the PC) rather than as  'There: Dining Room'. Again, the only way to bring it back in sync is to close MC on 'B' and re-open it.

Would it be possible to get the clients to refresh the zones list from the server as and when it changes? I love the whole MC media network capability and use it extensively so a (hopefully) little change like this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Andrew (or Elijah if you prefer ;))

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Dynamic Zones list not updating on Client
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:00:42 pm »

Take a look at this post.  There are several issues discussed and one of them is what you describe (I think).  Probably around #13 in the chain of posts.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,118288.0.html

If it's same, they know about it and sounds like they will fix at some point.
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:38:07 pm »

There are issues with refreshing Dynamic Zones. Dynamic Zones don't seem to get removed when the device running the Zone is shut down, for example. However, in this case, there may be another issue.

Conversely, when I start 'A', Dining Room automatically re-appears on the library server zones list, but on 'B' it appears just as 'A' (i.e. the name of the PC) rather than as  'There: Dining Room'. Again, the only way to bring it back in sync is to close MC on 'B' and re-open it.

If a Client connects to a Server and loads the Server Library, then Zones on the Server will be shown in the format "There: Dining Room" or just "There" if only the default Player Zone exists.
However, if a Client is started but does not load the Server Library, and just loads a local Library, then the Zone displayed in the Client for the Server is just the Server PC name, and it will represent the currently selected Zone on the Server PC. I haven't tested with two MC Clients exactly as you have, but I expect MC is doing the same thing for the other connected Client, "B" in this case. Are you sure "B" has loaded the Server Library when you see this happen?

Note also that it does take a little while for Dynamic Zone discovery to complete, so you need to give Client "B" some time to refresh the Zones. Perhaps refreshing or changing Views would force it to update. But it could be that the full Zone name is only updated when the Client is restarted, as you found.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 08:48:29 am »

Yes, in my case everything is always loaded.

For my issue, JRiver provided a response explaining why it happens (somewhere in that thread).   I think they basically said that the update mechanism between client / server is a one time static exchange of information.    At some point they plan to fix it (at some point) so that a client's "there" zones stay in sync with the server's dynamic zones. 

I thought your issue sounded similar, but maybe I'm not understanding.  If that's case just ignore.
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 02:44:43 pm »

Are you sure "B" has loaded the Server Library when you see this happen?

Note also that it does take a little while for Dynamic Zone discovery to complete, so you need to give Client "B" some time to refresh the Zones. Perhaps refreshing or changing Views would force it to update. But it could be that the full Zone name is only updated when the Client is restarted, as you found.

All my Clients are configured to always load the Server Library - it is the only Library populated with all my media and the Server is on 24/7.

It clearly seems to only ever update the list when the Client 'B' is restarted - I have tried refreshing, waiting, etc. and it never changes - even if left for hours.

Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me or wishful thinking, but I can't help feeling this used to work OK at some point - or maybe my setup was different. Anyway, it would be nice if it could be addressed - MC25 perhaps?

Thanks again.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 03:47:34 pm »

I thought your issue sounded similar, but maybe I'm not understanding.  If that's case just ignore.

My issue was driven by the Server going to sleep under the Client, but yes it was also related to Dynamic Zones not refreshing. You have reminded me of Bob's comment regarding the connection to the server.
The connection to the library server is a static one time only thing so that it won't reflect changes to the renderer list on the server side.

I think that is the answer for you too ElijahBaley. We are waiting for an improvement in functionality.

In the meantime, one alternative to closing MC and reopening it is to Restart the Client. There is a MC Command Line Switch to restart MC, /Restart. See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/The_Command_Line
The full command would be:

mc24.exe /Restart

This can be added to the MC Theatre View menu fairly easily. Or maybe the command could be sent from a programmable Remote Control like a Harmony. Or if you can get MC to learn a new Infrared Code, add a Run command in the Remote Control Commands section of MC setup. Or use an existing remote button if you have one available. A restart is quick and a lot less button pushes or mouse movements than manually closing and reopening MC.

Note: I haven't tested if a restart actually refreshes Dynamic Zones as required. But in theory, it should.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ElijahBaley

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 03:07:21 am »

My issue was driven by the Server going to sleep under the Client, but yes it was also related to Dynamic Zones not refreshing. You have reminded me of Bob's comment regarding the connection to the server.

Quote from: bob on December 13, 2018, 04:15:30 pm
The connection to the library server is a static one time only thing so that it won't reflect changes to the renderer list on the server side.

I think that is the answer for you too ElijahBaley. We are waiting for an improvement in functionality.

Thanks - yes, it would be nice to have, if only to keep the list nice and tidy with  the chosen names for zones - I like a tidy list :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up