INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver not identifying imported anime series  (Read 1780 times)

Riotus

• Recent member
JRiver not identifying imported anime series
« on: February 28, 2019, 12:00:10 am »

Series' with names that include tags are not being detected correctly.
Common formats used today are:
  • [Release] Series - ## [Resolution].mkv
  • [Release] Series - ## [Resolution][CRC].mkv
  • [Release] Series - ## - Episode [Resolution] [CRC].mkv
  • [Release] Series ## (Format).mkv
  • [Release] Series ## (Format)[CRC].mkv
## is the episode number and may be 2 or 3 digits long.
Release, format, and CRC should be ignored. Importing the CRC tag could be useful though. It's always 8 characters.
Spaces between items seem to be optional depending on the release.

JRiver also seems to not detect OVA or bonus content shorter than ~20 minutes as a "TV Series" item, when they may be 3-10 minutes long.

TVDB also seems to be inconsistent about whether it finds the series based on its Japanese name or not. Sometimes I have to manually change the series to its English name to get results, other times it works fine.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver not identifying imported anime series
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 07:44:25 am »

JRiver is not identifying anything, it uses scrapers to load relevant information … TVDB is one of the site JRiver scrape from

So must name series to match what exist on scraped sites.

I use different naming ... from days of XBMC ... SeriesName_sXXeXX.mkv

... when i switched to Plex that naming work ... when i switch to JRiver it still work too

When i rip my series ... i check TVDB first to make sure i name them right

PS. if you worry about integrity of your files ... use something like freeNAS, it stores files with CRC ... it auto detects when CRC has changed ... and auto correct it from mirror or parity ... though as always, RAID is no substitute for backup

PSS. i sit on raid10 now ... will change to raid6 ... when have money will run from raid10, with raid6 as backup ... now no money though lol
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

RD James

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 08:25:40 am »

JRiver is not identifying anything, it uses scrapers to load relevant information … TVDB is one of the site JRiver scrape from
So must name series to match what exist on scraped sites.
I forget the name, but Media Center does have a tool that tries to extract things like series name from filenames with auto-import. Every so often there's an update which adds support for new naming schemes.

PSS. i sit on raid10 now ... will change to raid6 ... when have money will run from raid10, with raid6 as backup ... now no money though lol
RAID is not a backup solution; it's an uptime solution.
If a file is deleted or corrupted in a RAID setup, it's gone from all your drives - there's no backup to recover data from.
It can protect against drive failure, but little else.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:15:52 am »

I forget the name, but Media Center does have a tool that tries to extract things like series name from filenames with auto-import. Every so often there's an update which adds support for new naming schemes.
RAID is not a backup solution; it's an uptime solution.
If a file is deleted or corrupted in a RAID setup, it's gone from all your drives - there's no backup to recover data from.
It can protect against drive failure, but little else.

what I mean is JRiver does not provide metadata for series … yes, MC will try to extract the name of series from filename … but then it will use sites like TVDB, themoviedb to get info on series … if you name show incorrectly (or it does not match name specified for it in TVDB) then no information will be available

PS. I did mention in my previous post that RAID is not backup lol … my plan (if and when I have money) is to run my main files of raid10 … then use another NAS with raid6 as a backup server (but that's another discussion all together)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Riotus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 01:44:17 pm »

JRiver doesn't parse the filename correctly and is not pulling out the series name from it. I'm not naming the files.

If I enter the Japanese series name -- which is usually the name in these files -- TVDB has the series.
The Japanese name works to find them if I search the website, but they usually don't work in JRiver because it only seems to look up the English series names. The Japanese name still links to the same TVDB Series ID and brings up English metadata on the website.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 02:35:33 pm »

I suggest posting some examples with exact file names and the corresponding TVDB entries... that way it's a tiny bit more clear what you are describing.  I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what's being described.  You're doing a good job.  It's just confusing and examples would really help.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 05:27:08 pm »

The naming and metadata lookup of Anime series would provide more than enough material for a PhD thesis!

CARNAC is the functionality that interprets the name of an imported file. It will extract Series, Episode name, Episode number, Season number, Year, etc. But your sample file names above don't actually have much information in them. Basically just Series and an Episode number, but as it doesn't have a Season number, that is pretty useless. If the Episode number in the file name is an absolute number for the whole Series, which I think is common with Anime shows, I don't think MC can use that, but I'm not sure. Someone might correct me. Or it could just be that Season One is assumed in all cases, given how Anime shows often get renamed each season.

If there are readable tags in the files, I believe MC will try to use those as well.

As for collecting metadata in Japanese, MC supports this. You just need to set the language correctly.
"Options > General > Online Metadata > Default metadata lookup language"

Or if you only need to change the language for a subset of your files (only Anime shows), just change it on the "Get Movie & TV Info..." dialogue. If you don't see those settings, upgrade MC. MC24.0.75 has that functionality.
From the Release Notes:
23.0.38 (8/18/2017)
2. NEW: "Get Movie & TV Info" now offers a language choice for metadata lookup (currently available with TheTVDB and TheMovieDB).

Also, there is this problem with Anime records on TheTVDB: https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53245. That may well be part of your issue here.

I don't believe that MC has any special handling for Anime shows, and they do seem to require special handling. Read https://forums.plex.tv/t/guide-using-thetvdb-for-anime/32503 Perhaps try some of the renaming tools. That seems to be what a lot of other people do, given the number of tools available to do so.

If you need more help, it would be good if you provided some specific examples as Brian requested. Maybe JRiver can improve the way Anime is handled by CARNAC and the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Riotus

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 05:21:21 am »

I suggest posting some examples with exact file names and the corresponding TVDB entries... that way it's a tiny bit more clear what you are describing.  I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what's being described.  You're doing a good job.  It's just confusing and examples would really help.

Brian.
I don't know if it will be possible to import them all correctly but here are some examples:
  • (Hi10)_Acchi_Kocchi_-_01_(BD_720p)_(SakuraCircle)_(D4B938AA).mkv
  • (Hi10)_InuYasha_-_001_(DVD_480p)_(a-S)_(163C0F1F).mkv
  • (Hi10)_Inuyasha_Movie_-_01_Affections_Touching_Across_Time_(BD_720p)_(Raizel)_(008EA274).mkv
  • [HorribleSubs] Ueno-san wa Bukiyou - 01 [1080p].mkv
  • [anti-raws]Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon ep.01[BDRemux].mkv
  • [Live-eviL]_Macross_-_Do_You_Remember_Love_[Remastered][1080p][BD][248786E3].mkv
  • [AniDL] Shinryaku! Ika Musume S2 - 01v2 [720p BD][Dual Audio][IamTsukasa].mkv
  • (G_P) Votoms (Remastered) 01(x264)(D65B2470).mkv
  • (G_P) Votoms (Remastered) 37v2(x264)(6768E1EC).mkv
  • [DB]Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches_-_01_(Dual Audio_10bit_BD1080p_x265).mkv

As for collecting metadata in Japanese, MC supports this. You just need to set the language correctly.
"Options > General > Online Metadata > Default metadata lookup language"
It's not that I want Japanese metadata, it's that it's not finding the series based on the Japanese name.

Also, there is this problem with Anime records on TheTVDB: https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53245. That may well be part of your issue here.
That seems related. None of the shows from this season appear on the TVDB website if I do an English search using the Japanese name. If I search with no language specified the series appears and links to English metadata.

Riotus

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 02:15:59 pm »

The new season is underway and JRiver still doesn't import the shows correctly.
To start with, the most common naming scheme is currently:

[HorribleSubs] Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san - 01 [1080p].mkv

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 05:41:26 am »

I have trouble making sense of those files names!

I think the issue is definitely a TheTVDB issue. The source data just isn't there in a useable form. The file naming "convention" doesn't help much either. I don't think this is going to be solved in MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 08:33:02 am »

I have trouble making sense of those files names!

I think the issue is definitely a TheTVDB issue. The source data just isn't there in a useable form. The file naming "convention" doesn't help much either. I don't think this is going to be solved in MC.
It looks like there are two issues here:
  • Media Center not being able to extract the series name and episode numbers from the files.
  • TVDB having issues with its alias system, so Japanese titles aren't bringing up the related English series.
#2 seems irrelevant until Media Center can extract the series name and episode numbers.

I've been trying to learn Regex recently so I copied the examples here and took a stab at it. I added some variations to test against too: https://regex101.com/r/ioiiZU/1
Code: [Select]
(?:\)|\])(?<Series>.+?)(?:(?:[_\s]|ep.|s\d{2}e)(?<Episode>\d+)[._\sv\[\(]|\[)
It's not perfect, and would require the "clean" function in Media Center, but I don't have any more time to spend on this right now.
I bet someone with more Regex experience could figure out how to get better results.

Riotus

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 01:11:17 pm »

Can someone move this topic to the Media Center 25 forum?
I upgraded and it's still having problems identifying episodes from the latest season.
Pages: [1]   Go Up