INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound from right channel  (Read 2739 times)

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
No sound from right channel
« on: March 02, 2019, 02:50:46 pm »

Hi everybody

I am using a laptop with MC install on it. I am using toslink to connect the laptop to a Benchmark DAC. After upgrading to MC24 I don't hear any sound from the right channel. Is there a setting within the MC the control the channel balance? I know my stereo works perfectly (i tested it with a cd player). Most probably the upgrade & this issue a is coincident. Any ideas?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No sound from right channel
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 03:07:31 pm »

Did MC find you old Library during the upgrade, and carry that across to MC24? If not, find the latest Library Backup (see Wiki) of your previous version and Restore it into MC24, including settings. Make sure to backup your current Library first, just in case anything goes wrong.

Still not working? Reboot everything and see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, check the Audio Path when playing something, to confirm that the source is stereo and MC is playing left and right channels. If not, check the settings in "Options > Audio", audio device selected, DSP and Output Format.

I think sometimes some audio settings can get lost during the MC upgrade process, though usually that is just incompatible settings. So try the above.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 08:27:20 pm »

RoderickGI, thank for your response, restoring the last library didn't help. However I played a file with windows media player and I got stereo output. So now I know the problem is MC. I have MC22 & MC24 both have the same issue.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:34:20 pm »

Still not working? Reboot everything and see if that makes a difference.

Otherwise, check the Audio Path when playing something, to confirm that the source is stereo and MC is playing left and right channels. If not, check the settings in "Options > Audio", audio device selected, DSP and Output Format.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 09:03:29 pm »

I should have mentioned that I had done everything that you suggested. I just restored the library and it didn't help. I am looking for a way to reset MC to factory default and I don't find anything.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 11:16:24 pm »

Generally speaking, if this is a MC problem, the cause is found in the Output format defined for the Audio Device. Assuming that the correct Output Device, your Benchmark DAC, is selected in MC, and has any driver installed correctly. Sometimes an audio device driver gets corrupted or needs an update after a Windows Update completes

Maybe there is some channel mapping in the Parametric Equaliser. Maybe the output is set to 5.1 but is being sent over a TOSLink connection. TOSLink only supports stereo, or 5.1 in Dolby Digital.

What does the MC Audio Path show when you play a stereo file? Does it show any down or upmixing? Or does it correctly show MC is outputing stereo?

Can you play a stereo file correctly with Windows Media Player, with your Benchmark DAC selected as the Windows Audio Device? Does it play in proper stereo? That would be a better test than playing a CD using your CD Player.

There is no factory reset for MC, but if you create a new Library, import just a few files manually (don't let MC start importing everything it can find when you create the new Library - stop the countdown in the bottom left corner before it hits zero), and get that to work by adjusting Audio settings, you might find the error. You can also Clear the Library by selecting the Library under Playing Now, and then using the button on the right. But neither of these methods will clear the settings in the Windows Registry, which is probably where the problem is. A reset/creating a new Library or clearing the Library usually isn't a good way to find the problem anyway.

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 01:52:02 pm »

As has mentioned in the earlier reply I tested playing a file with Windows Media Player and it played back correctly.
I uninstalled MC22, it didn't help.
I deleted registry entries it did not help. Reinstalled MC24x64 it did not help.
Next I will uninstall MC24x64 and install MC24x32.
I am running windows 10 pro.
Benchmark DAC is not directly connected to the laptop (therefor no drivers are required). The device the MC is working with the optical output.
As an aside I've been using MC & Benchmark DAC & the same stereo for at least 10 years.
Every couple of years I updated MC without any issues. This time I had MC22x32 and I updated to MC24x64.
I don't have parametric equalizer active.
I don't have DSP active. I although I tried both with no success.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 01:54:47 pm »

Did you try WASAPI, ASIO, and DirectShow in MC's Audio settings?   Do they all behave the same?

This is not likely to be a problem with MC.

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 02:32:22 pm »

I removed MC24X64 with all registry & library setting. Install MC24x32 the same issue exists (no sound from right channel).
My device out put options are as follows:
1. Default Audio Device (Direct Sound)
2. SPDIF Interface(TX0)(VIA HD Audio (compatible)[WASAPI]
3. VIA HD Audio (compatible)[WASAPI]
4. Disk Writer
5. Network Streamer
6. Null Output
I changed the windows default out put to option2 to play a file with Windows Media Player to make sure the TOSLINK is not an issue. The Windows Media Played the file correctly.
Then inside MC24x32 I changed the device to option 1. It did reproduce sound correctly, in other words both channels are playing.
I changed the device output in MC24x32 to option 2 (SPDIF Interface) the old problem appeared again not sound from right channel.
I just don't get it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 04:39:47 pm »

Very strange.

I'm not surprised that Direct Sound works, as Windows will mix to the output format it believes it should be outputting. You could test if you are getting real stereo, or an upmixed mono channel, by finding a test file that has distinct left and right channels, then see if either the original left or right channel is played out both.

Could you also play a normal stereo file and check the MC Audio Path display. MC should show 2 channels in and 2 channels out, as per the attached image.

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 07:36:43 pm »

@RodericGI, my Audio path screen looks like your except for the modification that you are making to sound level.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28:49 pm »

I'm pretty much stumped then.

MC is outputting Stereo.
Stereo works with Direct Sound.
The DAC is TOSLink connected, so no drivers required.

Perhaps try setting the Output format to Dolby Digital 5.1, and see if you get both or all channels. Then set it back to stereo and see if anything has changed.

DJLegba

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 09:46:10 pm »

Download this and check your left and right channels through all your playback systems:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/ca-academy/drzs-test-cd-free-download-r780/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 08:35:49 am »

Windows Control Panel > Sounds also has a test.

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 10:35:21 am »

Jim
Windows Control Panel > Sounds test work just fine. It is only MC that does not work correctly. So that this point I am pretty sure that the issue is MC.

B4Unyu

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 02:49:05 pm »

it really isn't accurate to say the issue is with only MC, it may be more accurate to say the issue is with MC and that particular DAC. if you look at it this way, there's still room to troubleshoot.

-wasn't there an option in MC to send the most significant bits to a dac and/or a setting that forces 24bits instead of 32bits/auto. if your dac only accepts a max of 24bit word length (is that the same as bitdepth?), can the dac just drop a channel as a result? maybe in addition to trying those settings, try turning bitstreaming on/off?

-is it the same result with all of the inputs on your Dac -have you tried them? (aren't the usb and coaxial inputs more robust anyway, as in sample frequency ranges.)

have you brought this up with the manufacturer support? under what condition would the dac would drop a channel or mix a stereo signal into one channel?

i don't think MC is written to do that on its own.

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 01:36:36 am »

I have been using MC for since version8. My current setup has been in place for a long time. The only thing that changed was that I upgraded from MC22 to MC24. I only use MC for music.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 07:52:18 am »

Musicmon,
Everyone believes you have a problem, but you need to try the suggestions.  Simplify your audio chain.  This is very unlikely to be a problem with JRiver.

I removed the parts of your previous comment that were off topic.  Please focus on testing and reporting.

B4Unyu

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 07:59:39 am »

@MusicMon: i wanted to help. probably shouldn't have since i know my comprehension is not what it was as when i was young. sorry for that.

...i was just trying to say, giving yourself some leeway in your approach may help make it easier to solve the issue. holding onto the approach that MC24/upgrade is the cause of the issue, in reality, hasn't gotten you to a solution. you tried what you can think of without a favorable outcome. if the issue isn't approached in a different way, you end up givng up at this point -having felt you exhausted all possiblities.

i don't participate in this forum much, i know don't have much to offer, still, i like coming here and just reading the threads.

the forum, and support given here, is something special. JRiver developers actively participating along with many knowledgable -good people, helping out with a product they truely like. they believe in the product, they try to make it better, they try to find solutions, they take customer's input to heart. they try to help everyone they can.  that's the reality here.

...maybe the issue is with a OS update that took place near the same time? ...maybe the VIA chipset drivers?

it seems you rather be using MC than not. i bet you can still figure it out.

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 12:05:08 pm »

@JimH, I have tried all the suggestions. What is it that I have not tried.
The following are the facts:
1. Stereo system works fine including the DAC (tested multiple times).
2. Music is played correctly with Windows Media Player thru the TOSLINK output.
3. Music is played correctly thru MC using Default (Direct Sound) output when TOSLINK is windows default device.
4. Only the left channel is played when music is played thru MC and TOSLINK as playback option.

So it is not crazy to assume there is not hardware issues. I don't know how MC interface with PC resources. Most programers use existing windows resources to develop applications. Jim is not giving me any hints as to how MC is interfacing with TOSLINK. As a result I don't know how proceed. My next option seems to be reinstall windows & MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 01:16:54 pm »

There are probably a few ways to pick TOSLINK in the Options > Audio menu of MC.  Try both WASAPI and DirectSound (under More).

You could also check the manufacturer for an ASIO driver because they tend to be the best if they exist.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 01:34:44 pm »

Matt, as stated previously my playback options are as follow:

My device out put options are as follows:
1. Default Audio Device (Direct Sound)
2. SPDIF Interface(TX0)(VIA HD Audio (compatible)[WASAPI]
3. VIA HD Audio (compatible)[WASAPI]
4. Disk Writer
5. Network Streamer
6. Null Output

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 01:36:28 pm »

But look in the "More" submenu and it will list DirectSound as well.  I'm wondering if the WASAPI and DirectSound driver just handle channels differently.

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 02:14:03 pm »

@Matt, The list I provided includes options in the "More" sub menu.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 02:18:53 pm »

If your system just provides no Direct Sound devices it's pretty confusing.

You could make sure you have the latest drivers from the manufacturer installed?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 02:57:11 pm »

If your system just provides no Direct Sound devices it's pretty confusing.

I would have to agree with that. See image for what Realtek provides.

As above, the Benchmark DAC doesn't require drivers because it is TOSLink connection, but the soundcard on your motherboard certainly needs drivers. Maybe as B4Unyu suggested, VIA Chipset drivers need updating. Or maybe there are some settings for it that aren't right. What brand and model is your motherboard?

Or maybe a Windows Update, of which recent ones have made lots of changes in the audio functionality particularly in UI layout, has broken something, but it still works with Window Media Player because Microsoft ensured their own products worked.

In fact, now that I look for it, Windows doesn't even allow me to select WASAPI or Direct Sound anymore. Although maybe that was when I wasn't sending audio directly to speakers. It just lists the devices and not the audio standard to be used. I'm sure I used to see Direct Sound and WASAPI in the Windows settings in the past. I can't find them anywhere now. See the second image.

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 10:26:10 am »

@RoderickGI, Thanks for your kind attempt to help. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix this issue. At this point I've to the conclusion that I need to reinstall windows & MC which I'll do over the weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up