INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: Cover Art paste from Clipboard (Series) (MC 24.0.75)  (Read 821 times)

Shike

• Junior Woodchuck
Bug: Cover Art paste from Clipboard (Series) (MC 24.0.75)
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:06:13 pm »

Greetings,

I believe I've stumbled on a bug that creates some odd issues.  When trying to apply cover art to a TV series, if one uses the paste from clipboard function it replaces images for all episodes.  In comparison internet scanner only replaces the actual cover art stored in the default cover art location.  I noticed that sometimes the internet scanner doesn't work as well and would at times prefer the copy paste method.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bug: Cover Art paste from Clipboard (Series) (MC 24.0.75)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 11:29:44 pm »

I don't think there is a bug.

If you select the Series and then paste an image, every Episode does indeed get the same image. But you can only paste one image at a time, so you need to select the Episode record, then paste the image, and that works fine.

I haven't tested the "Get from Scanner" function because MC doesn't see my network scanner.

As for the "Cover Art > Get from internet" function, as per my answer to your other thread, if you select the Series, that function will gather Cover Art for the Series and each Season. If you select an Episode, that function will gather Cover Art for the Series and the Season to which the selected Episode belongs. That is how it works, and is intended to work.

If you still think there is a bug, please describe concisely the exact steps you take to create the problem.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Shike

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 01:35:42 am »

I don't think there is a bug.

If you select the Series and then paste an image, every Episode does indeed get the same image. But you can only paste one image at a time, so you need to select the Episode record, then paste the image, and that works fine.

I'm not trying to apply cover art to an episode though, I'm trying to apply it to the parent series as cover art for the series.  Is the only way to interface with this from the internet scanner or manually going to the cover art folder?  It seems quite odd.

I haven't tested the "Get from Scanner" function because MC doesn't see my network scanner.

Sorry, when I said "internet scanner" I should have said get from internet.

As for the "Cover Art > Get from internet" function, as per my answer to your other thread, if you select the Series, that function will gather Cover Art for the Series and each Season.

Some OVA's I have get from internet simply can't find the right cover art.  In those cases I have to find it manually through a Google search.  When I do so I would expect it to apply from the clipboard the same way it would when using get from internet - it would strike me as an odd design choice to have them work entirely different in-spite of being located in the same area for the same noted function of providing cover art.

If you still think there is a bug, please describe concisely the exact steps you take to create the problem.

Find series cover art on Google for example
Copy to clipboard
Go to a series parent view
Select the series
Cover art > paste from clipboard

Rather than apply it as the series cover art, it applies cover art to every single episode overwriting images from thetvdb.  Considering cover art > get from internet only applies to the actual series cover and not episodes in this scenario it strikes me as a bug or unexpected behavior based on the UI.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 02:30:09 pm »

Is the only way to interface with this from the internet scanner "Get from internet" or manually going to the cover art folder?  It seems quite odd.

Thinking about it, yes. It is a bit quirky, and might be unexpected behaviour. But what you will discover is that the cost of MC having deep functionality is that the UI can be a bit imperfect.

Rather than apply it as the series cover art, it applies cover art to every single episode overwriting images from thetvdb.  Considering cover art > get from internet only applies to the actual series cover and not episodes in this scenario it strikes me as a bug or unexpected behavior based on the UI.

Yep. That is what the functionality currently does.

I guess it might make more sense if selecting the Series and pasting an image saved it at the Series Cover Art. But then there would be no way of adding Season Cover Art, other than the automatic way using "Get from internet", as there is currently no way to select a Season belonging to a series. So then we would have three ways of adding Cover Art at the Series/Season level; The "Get from internet" functionality, for Series, pasting an image with the Series level selected, and for Seasons, going to the Cover Art directories, adding and renaming appropriately the image desired.

That is how you do what you want now anyway; Go to the Cover Art directory and the \Series and \Season sub-directories, add the image files and rename them to match the "Series" name or "Series - Season #" as appropriate. You might even need to run the "Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory" for MC to pick up the new files. I'm not sure, as "Get from internet" works for me almost always.

The functionality could certainly be improved. Maybe the best way would be to enhance the "Add from file" so that;

1. When an Episode is selected, the image file is made the Episode Cover Art.
2. When multiple Episodes are selected, a dialogue allows adding multiple files, one for each Episode.
3. When the Series level is selected, a dialogue allows files to be selected as Cover Art for the Series and each Season. If an image file isn't added for any of the Series or Seasons, MC wouldn't change any existing Cover Art image for those, but would update each where an image has been specified.

Something like that. Maybe that is a suggestion for the "Too easy" thread. I suspect it would take longer than an hour though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up