INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transfer Database to second PC  (Read 1079 times)

difool

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Transfer Database to second PC
« on: May 19, 2003, 12:54:24 am »

Hi,
I switched to MC9 on the weekend and despite of some adjusting probs on my side with success.

Now I have a problem with my setup. I have my complete mp3-collection (~4500files) mirrored on two pcs (work-pc and living-room-pc). On one pc the path for all mp3s is "f:\mp3" and on the other one it is set to "C:\mp3".
I do the maintenance on the database on the work-pc. With MJ8 I simply copied the database file and the mp3s to the second pc and did a "search/replace" on the db-file from "f:\" to "c:\" and everything was fine. This off course worked great because it was a textfile which is not the case on MC8.
What would I have to do if I wanted to keep my way of working?
Thanks for your help...

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Transfer Database to second PC
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 05:46:49 pm »

I don't know the answer to your question, but also would like to know it.

I am trying to coordinate two computers, a home computer (from which I sync'd the iPod), and a laptop.  At the office I have a firewire drive with a copy of the entire mp3 files from the home computer.  On the laptop, I have only some of the mp3s.

A few issues as of now:

1.  How to add files from the office firewire to the iPod - anything special to watch for?  Will sync'g cause all the files already on the iPod to be overwritten because the new files are coming from a different drive/directory?

2.  Can you move the smartlists from one computer to another.  I mean the "rules" in the playlist, as opposed to the actual "files" or file lists?

3.  Is there a way to create a media library view showing only the files in certain directories (so when the laptop is not connected to the firewire, I don't see files on the firewire drive that are not really available when not connected to it)?

Sorry to hijack your question, but I think some of these issues may be related.

STeve

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Transfer Database to second PC
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 02:06:47 am »

I found this answer in ipodlounge to the question how to transfer from one computer to another using ipod:

You need to do this:

1. Fill your iPod from your desktop using MC9.
2. Connect your iPod to your laptop and fire up MC9.
3. Browse to the iPod under CD, DVD & Handhelds
4. Highlight the tracks you want to transfer to the laptop, right click and select the "Download to PC" option. Point MC9 to a folder, say C:\Music and click OK. All the tracks will be downloaded to this folder.
5. Import the tracks into MC9.
6. Go to the recently imported smartlist and select all the files then right click on them and select Library Tools > Rename Files from properties.
7. Give a sensible file naming structure, for example:

Base Path: C:\Music
Rule: [ARTIST]\[ALBUM]
Filename: [ALBUM] - [TRACK #] - [NAME]

Click OK and the files will be renamed and an Artist - Album folder structure will be created.

Unfortunately you can't synch MC9 with the iPod and you can;t suynch an iPod with more than one PC. The method above simply allows you to transfer music from 1 PC to another.

Pages: [1]   Go Up