INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No audio output for everything except MC24  (Read 1012 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
No audio output for everything except MC24
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:14:04 am »

Hi there, wierd one. I seem to have lost audio output for all applucayions except MC24 on one of my PCs. MC24 plays fine outputting via HDMI to a Sony receiver using the WASAPI audio device under Audio Options, and I'm used to MC24 grabbing exclusive access while it is running. But even after I shut MC24 down, I'm not getting anything from any other app, including Firefox.

I've replaced the receiver recently and configured Windows for Atmos, but I'm pretty sure that this happening before that.

I've checked the obvious stuff like whether audio is muted for teh app, but can't see anything obvious. I'm on Windows 10 64 bit Pro, with all updates, and its an NVidia card running up todate drivers.

Any ideas on where I should look next. Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No audio output for everything except MC24
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:26:46 am »

I would confirm the default audio device in Windows is what you expect it to be. This sometimes likes to change itself when stuff changes, resulting in no audio.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:41:34 am »

Possible you installed the part of JRiver that allows you to route ALL audio through JRiver? I can't recall the name or the location of the setting at the moment and I'm not sitting near a machine I can check it on.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 08:08:26 am »

Looks like its the Windows device properties. Default setting is OK, but the problem looks to be there. Gone into Sounds > Playback > Configure and the settings don't seem to be "sticking" within Windows. I apply a config, save it, and when I go back it has reverted. Also seems to be happening on a different machine, ie. the one I'm typing on. Might not be recent, but looks like some of the settings that used to be in the old Sounds control panel and also appearing under Settings.

One specific query though, which might be a red herring. The HDMI audio output device (which is default) is obviously picking up that there is projector attached to the receiver, and is setting the device name to Optoma UHD. That projector only has stereo speakers, whereas the Sony receiver that the signal is passing through has all the audio goodies including Atmos. If I try to configure the output to Dolby Atmos, it reverts to Stereo. I don't suppose that Windows is limiting the options available based on the characteristics of the projector?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 08:41:26 am »

One specific query though, which might be a red herring. The HDMI audio output device (which is default) is obviously picking up that there is projector attached to the receiver, and is setting the device name to Optoma UHD. That projector only has stereo speakers, whereas the Sony receiver that the signal is passing through has all the audio goodies including Atmos. If I try to configure the output to Dolby Atmos, it reverts to Stereo. I don't suppose that Windows is limiting the options available based on the characteristics of the projector?
I've seen this before. The HDMI negotiation with the projecter is overriding the Amp's negotiation.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 08:43:37 am »

There is usually an option in the Receiver that lets you disable audio passthrough. If that is enabled, its usually limited to the TVs/Projectors audio capabilities.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 10:42:08 am »

I picked up the same idea from some browsing. The amp has an HDMI setting to pass through the audio, which I must have set off (correctly) when I did the original setup. I thought I'd switched the audio off on the projector but I'd reset to default and it was on again. Switched it off, rebooted everything, but Windows is still seeing the Optoma ahead of the Sony.

But the Sounds playback config is still behaving very strangely. Dolby Atmos is now one of the options (alongside stereo, 5.1, 7.1 etc) but it doesn't seem to know what to do with the speaker positioning. It has come up just FL & FR enabled, 5.1, 7.1 some of which work, others not. Almost feels like there rushed the Atmos config through without thinking about all the other bits.

Pages: [1]   Go Up