INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolby Atmos Support?  (Read 2458 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Dolby Atmos Support?
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:34:06 am »

Hi there

I've searched the forum and the wiki page and I not sure I see anything which gives a clear, definitive statement of what if any support MC has for Dolby Atmos. Can anyone oblige? I know there are some older threads that discuss this, but I've already tried to wade through those, and frankly, I'm lost. If the answer is none, and probably never, then fine, at least I'll know. If there is support, it would be useful to know what physical formats are supported.

Cheers

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dolby Atmos Support?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 02:16:17 pm »

Dolby Atmos is only supported through Bitstreaming to an Atmos-capable receiver. Any further support is very unlikely for the time being, unless someone eventually figures out how it actually works.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 02:29:18 pm »

MC can:
- bitstream Dolby Atmos and DTS:X just fine
- identify, decode and process (eg DSP, VideoClock) the core Dolby TrueHD and DTS:MA streams

MC can not:
- decode or process (eg DSP, VideoClock) these streams (and probably will not be able to for some time if at all as the spec is not published plus their is is also limitations in the current HDMI spec for the max # of channels anyway)
- identify if a stream has the Atmos or DTS:X extensions at this time (MC uses FFProbe to report what each stream contains and at this stage will just report these streams as Dolby TrueHD and DTS:MA).  I would expect this to change at some point as MediaInfo has been able to do this for a year or so (if you want a MC compatible tools to do this have a look at Swag of Tools).  As a result, MC features like enabling bitstreaming just for these formats or using Zone Switch does not work.

The most we can hope for in the short term is an update in FFProbe for the detection of these streams. 

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 02:39:41 pm »

Hi Hendrik;

Was also wondering about that. Some newer laptops now have Dolby Atmos as the default through their tiny speakers. My new Huawei Matebook X Pro laptop has such a system.

The sound is better then most other laptops but it is still being presented through tiny speakers (although 4 of them... 2 tweeters & 2 so-called woofers).

Not sure I'm asking the right question but here goes... What I'm wondering is could the Dolby Atmos be pushed through MC (before it gets to the tiny laptop speakers for better sound through my external 12 speaker system? Hope that makes sense.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:42:15 pm »

"Dolby Atmos" is not a single product or technology. It's a wide range of varying technologies all using the same name. Its likely not even related to the Atmos audio you find on Blu-ray discs.

It's very confusing, but you can thank Dolby for that.

The only thing we support is Bitstreaming Dolby Atmos from Blu-ray discs through HDMI to an Atmos AV Receiver. This is all the Atmos that we support, and likely will support for a long time.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 02:44:06 pm »

MC can:
- bitstream Dolby Atmos and DTS:X just fine
Bitstream.. can you explain just what this is? How is it different from normal playback of audio?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 02:52:25 pm »

If you have:
- HDMI Out from your PC, and
- HDMI In from a AV Receiver (or such device)

You can change from MC "Decoding the Audio" to "Bitstreaming" the Audio under Tools--> Options--> Audio--> Settings--> Bitsreaming to YES

When this is set to YES, MC will simply hand the audio stream off to your AV Receiver and it will do the decoding and processing of the stream.
JRiver CEO Elect

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 03:01:50 pm »

AH.... Thanks. Will try it right away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up