INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing MCRatings - add IMDb, TMDb, RT and Metacritic Ratings to your movies  (Read 14812 times)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Announcing the release of MCRatings

MCRatings is a companion tool for JRiver Media Center to help tag a movie collection. It retrieves IMDb, TMDb, Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes movie ratings, along with other movie metadata such as Tagline, Original Title, Actors, Director, Studios, etc from Open Movie Database (OMDb) and The Movie Database (TMDb). You can decide what changes to keep/skip, and which JRiver fields to update. MCRatings talks directly to JRiver and it does not need or use sidecar.xml files.

MCRatings is FREE and Open Source (GPL v3). Donations are welcome  ;D

Please check the Quick Start or the full User Guide to understand how to configure MCRatings to work with your JRiver install.

Screenshots: https://github.com/zybexXL/MCRatings/wiki/Screenshots
Quick Start: https://github.com/zybexXL/MCRatings/wiki#Quick-Start
User Guide: https://github.com/zybexXL/MCRatings/wiki
Source code: https://github.com/zybexXL/MCRatings

Download
Latest release: https://github.com/zybexXL/MCRatings/releases/latest
Version history: https://github.com/zybexXL/MCRatings/releases

Feedback is very welcome!
Many thanks to JRiver forum user 'xpto' for doing lots of beta-testing, suggestions and improvements, as well as for writing the documentation.
Kudos to Matt for giving me the go-ahead to provide this tool to the community  8)

Motivation for the project
JRiver MC is awesome, but it doesn't do everything (yet). As many here, I've always wanted a way to get IMDb ratings into JRiver, so I wrote a small script to do that, via Sidecar update/import - this worked but was kind of painful.

Eventually I've decided to write a proper tool to update the IMDb ratings via JRiver API. This project grew, and I've ended up creating a tool to update not only the movie ratings from IMDb but also other ratings and lots of other movie info that was missing before. Thus MCRatings was born!

Happy movie cataloging!
Zybex

marko

• MC Beta Team

Did anything else apart from the name change from 1.0 to 1.0.5?

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Latest version is v3.0, released 15 Mar 2020 - v3.0 adds Poster support!

Release change log (including previous releases):
https://github.com/zybexXL/MCRatings/releases

Sauzee

This is a fantastic work. Thanks to all involved.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Thanks Sauzee :)

stevef9432203

• Recent member

Looks like great tool.  ;D Looks like MCRatings.exe App is keyed WinX only.  >:( Since one Can run .net apps on linux, AS well as Media Center 25 does why does it fail to connect to Media Center 25 running Local Workstation? ?

Library
    Total files: 39306
    Audio files: 25063
    Image files: 9579
    Video files: 4588
    Other files: 76
Processing
    Thumbnails built: 100% (39194 of 39306)
    Audio analyzed: 1% (247 of 29651)
Background Tools Running
    No tools currently running
Power
    No entries that affect the system power state
Media Center
    Version:
    Install path: /usr/lib/jriver/Media Center 25/
    Interface plug-ins:
    JRMark: 3931 (version 25.0.15)
    Memory used:
    Handles used:
Advanced System Info
    Memory & CPU
        CPU features: MMX, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1
        Memory Available:  119 GB
        Memory Size:       123 GB
        Total Logical Cores: 48
    Operating System
        Linux - 64 bit
Dual Xeon Ws - Fedora 29, 28TB, IE I'am Nutz

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Hi Steve,
MCRatings connects using the COM/OLE API provided by JRiver under Windows. Since that's very specific to Windows it's likely that JRiver for Linux is not able to expose the COM API, so that might be the cause for the problem. Assuming you're using Mono, it's also possible that it doesn't provide COM client/server functionality.

Not sure what can be done there, unless JRiver also exposes the API over a socket instead of OLE.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Thanks, zybex.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi

I'm pretty excited to try this out, looks great.  That said, I am not sure if I am being impatient or if there is a problem.

I've downloaded it and started to run it.  It's been on "Connecting to JRiver... - Reading playlists" for about 5 minutes now.  I do have a rather large library, if that matters.

EDIT:
It took about ~40 minutes, but it finally popped up.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Hi Moe,
That's not normal at all :-/
- for me, it takes about 1 second. I have about 2000 video files on 25 playlists.
- for another user, it takes 15 seconds (already too long) with 30000 files (18000 video) on 170 playlists.

During that phase, MCRatings is just asking JRiver for a list of playlists, and filtering each one with "[media sub type]=movie" so that only those with movies are displayed.

I suspect the filtering is the problem, JRiver seems to take too long to do it. I could change MCRatings to list all playlists, regardless of them containing movies or not... but that might not be ideal :/

I PM'ed you a link to a test version which doesn't ask JRiver to filter the playlists. Please test it and let me know the result.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi

The second version you sent me is still slow.  As I stated earlier, my library is quite large. 

Total files: 199,581
    Audio files: 149,136
    Image files: 20,589
    Video files: 29,701

I deleted some old playlists/smartlist that I never, ever used.  It now takes about ~4 minutes to load. I'm happy to work with you to see if we can find the source of the slowdown (it it's not just due to the size of my library)

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Thanks Moe.
I've identified some root causes, and uploaded a new version to the same location that mitigates the issue. Please let me know if loading is improved with it.

- cause 1: getting some smartlists causes JRiver to try to access the files, which is slow. Needs fixing in JRiver.
- cause 2: smartlists using "IsMissing()" are extremely slow. Other functions are likely to cause issues too.
- cause 3: MCRatings was loading playlist groups too, which basically are an aggregate of all sub-playlists. I removed those now, the test version will only load leafs from the playlist tree.

The Playlist group nesting and playlists with functions such as "isMissing()" are apparently the main issue.
Maybe I should add an option to exclude smartlists...

marko

• MC Beta Team

Maybe I should add an option to exclude smartlists...

As long it would be an option. I set up a single smartlist just for use with MCRatings :)

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Yeah, I think it's not useful. I also mostly use the "new this week" or "recently imported" smartlists.
Marko, can you tell me what's the startup time for you, and how many playlists (approx) you have?

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi

I did have a playlist that used "isMissing()" which was always painfully slow to open.  It's one of the ones that I deleted and now my startup time is ~3-4 minutes.  I too setup some smartlists just for use with this so I wouldn't remove them.

One feature request that I would like is the ability to copy the "JRiver Title" column over to the "File Title" column.

marko

• MC Beta Team

Yeah, I think it's not useful. I also mostly use the "new this week" or "recently imported" smartlists.
Marko, can you tell me what's the startup time for you, and how many playlists (approx) you have?
Hi zybex, I have something in the region of 100 play/smart lists covering all media types, with around 45k files in the library, MCRatings load time is approx 15 seconds.

-marko

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi

I culled some more playlists.  It now opens within seconds  ;D

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Good to hear, Moe :) I'll make a release anyway with some speed improvements and an option for "fast startup", which will just load the list of playlists without counting how many movies are in each one (no counts next to each playlist).

zybex

• MC Beta Team

One feature request that I would like is the ability to copy the "JRiver Title" column over to the "File Title" column.

There's a checkbox on top called "Use JR Title/Year" which makes MCRatings use those instead of the FileTitle/FYear columns, maybe that's what you need?

The FileTitle/FYear are derived from the file name, and recalculated each time the playlist is loaded. They're meant as a fast way to cleanup a filename and obtain a probable movie Title which can be used right away for Get OMDB Info. Any edits there are not preserved.

Note that if the IMDB ID is already present then the FileTitle/FileYear are not used at all.

If you still want to copy a JR Title to File Title:
- click the JRTitle cell and hit CTLR-C (or just double-click it)
- click FileTitle cell and do CTRL-V

For now there's no way to copy the full column, as I didn't see a need for it.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi

"Use JR Title/Year" Did exactly what I needed, missed that.  Thanks!

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Just published v1.2 with a new option in Settings to enable fast startup mode. Just restart MCRatings and click the About icon to autoupgrade.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi

I have no idea the amount of work that would be involved, but have you considered building a similar tool for Musicbrainz.  I am loving this and I would love something similar for music.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Sorry Moe, that's almost an entirely new app, not on my plans for now.
Glad to know you're liking it though :)

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

This app is just great!

I have one question,
In the actors field there are only four actors saved.
Is there a way to increase the number of actors being saved?

Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

Absinthe

Zybex,
I downloaded the released version and attempted to run it but received a strange error

"Failed to load list of Video Playlists from JRiver!  Do you have movies?"

Any ideas what's going on here?

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Hi Absinthe,

This means that MCRatings didn't find any playlist containing "movie" files in your JRiver library.
Possible causes:
- MCRatings only loads files of type "Video", Subtype "Movie". It doesn't support "TV Show" or anything else. Check if you have some "Movie" files.
- Check if the current active library in JRiver is your main one. MCRatings always reads from whatever is the currently loaded library.
- Perhaps you have both 32-bit and 64-bit JRiver installed? MCRatings may be connecting to the wrong one. If so, you need to uninstall one of them and (perhaps) reinstall JRiver so that it re-registers the API interface.

For reference, I've just updated to the latest JRiver 25.0.113 (64bit) and MCRatings is working fine.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

This app is just great!

Thanks arcspin!

In the actors field there are only four actors saved.
Is there a way to increase the number of actors being saved?

This limit is not imposed by JRiver or MCRatings. It's the data that OMDB provides that only has up to 4 lead actors.
Personally I like it like that, it makes the Movie Tooltips less cumbersome (no huge list of actors).

If you want more actors you need to use JRiver to populate that field, since JRiver gets the data from a different source which has more detail. You can disable the "Actors" field in MCRatings settings so that it doesn't get populated/overwritten; or you can right-click on the "Actors" column/cell and revert the changes to that column before saving back to JRiver; or you can just do "Get Movie & TV Info" in JRiver after you run MCRatings, thought that might also overwrite other fields that you don't wish to overwrite.

Absinthe

- MCRatings only loads files of type "Video", Subtype "Movie". It doesn't support "TV Show" or anything else. Check if you have some "Movie" files.
- Check if the current active library in JRiver is your main one. MCRatings always reads from whatever is the currently loaded library.
- Perhaps you have both 32-bit and 64-bit JRiver installed? MCRatings may be connecting to the wrong one. If so, you need to uninstall one of them and (perhaps) reinstall JRiver so that it re-registers the API interface.

It was the last one.  Apparently at one time I had the 32 bit version installed and then installed the 64 bit along side it.  backed up the library, Uninstalled both versions, cleaned the registry then reinstalled the 64 bit from scratch.  After restoring the library and populating the Tooltip folder with all the graphics all is good.  Thanks Zybex!

corbendallas

• Recent member

Wow, this looks just like what I have been looking for! Thank you for sharing your efforts on this.

Unfortunately I can't get it running :(
I'm running version 25.0.114 (64-bit). I do not have any other JRiver versions installed. I have checked and there was some "residue" from an old version in "Program Files (x86)" and I have removed that. I have also removed some old registry entries in WOW6432Node, but no luck.
All I get is the error message: "No JRiver! Cannot connect to JRiver, please make sure it's installed on this PC"

Any troubleshooting steps I can take to figure out why it can't locate my JRiver installation?

corbendallas

• Recent member

Wow, this looks just like what I have been looking for! Thank you for sharing your efforts on this.

Unfortunately I can't get it running :(
I'm running version 25.0.114 (64-bit). I do not have any other JRiver versions installed. I have checked and there was some "residue" from an old version in "Program Files (x86)" and I have removed that. I have also removed some old registry entries in WOW6432Node, but no luck.
All I get is the error message: "No JRiver! Cannot connect to JRiver, please make sure it's installed on this PC"

Any troubleshooting steps I can take to figure out why it can't locate my JRiver installation?

Got it working! Apparently I had to shutdown both Media Center and media server, and then run MCRating.exe.

Also, tip for everyone. Don't delete things in the WOW6432Node, your registration is apparently set there even if you install the 64-bit version...

lepa

• MC Beta Team

How do I uninstall? I changed tag name and now can't get the new tag to be identified by MCRatings. Have tried to remove some registry keys and also deleted  $User\AppData\MCRatings folder and restarted MC/Server but still that field "IMDb Rating" stays red so something in the connection is still from the old setup. Any advice?

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Hi Lepa, sorry for the late reply.
There's no uninstall as the tool is just the single EXE. The settings however are saved in %localappdata%\mcratings, which you have already deleted - this should have reset your settings (you can also just click on "reset mappings" on MCRatings settings to do the same).

It sounds like there's some issue in the JRiver field definition... check:
- field name has spaces at the beggining/end? (both in JRiver and MCRatings)
- field type in JRiver - must be a "User Data" field, type "string", not relational, standard edit type.

Also, check that the current loaded Library in JRiver is in fact the one containing these new fields. MCRatings only works with current library.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

MCRatings 2.0 is now published, adding TMDb support :)
This allows MCRatings to get a few additional pieces of information:
- TMDB score
- Original Title
- Tagline
- Movie series (like, "Die Hard" for all of them)
- Keywords
- etc.

Some of this info is also fetched by JRiver itself when you do "Get Movie & TV Info", but not all.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck

Anyone else having an issue using MCRatings on version 26? When I run the program, I get an error message "Cannot connect to JRiver, please make sure it's installed on this machine".

Worked fine on version 25 but after installing version 26, I get the error message. Tried deleting the settings xml file in the appdata directory but still no go.

xpto

• Recent member

Hi jimm2,

I run MCRatings 2.0 together with JRiver 26 without problems.

Are you running x86 or x64?

Just in case, please try re-installing JRiver 26.

It could be something similar to this:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120339.msg831949.html#msg831949

Cheers

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks for the assistance Xpto.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling version 26 but still get the same error message. Seems like something is still pointing MCRatings to the old version 25 that doesn't exist.

Anyone have other ideas how to fix?

Thanks

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Jimm2, are you using the 32 or the 64-bit version of JRiver?
It should work with both, but let me know which one so that I can try to reproduce the issue. You can also try installing the other one to see if it works for you.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi Zybex,

I'm using the 64 bit version of MC 26. Prior to this, I used the 64 bit version of MC 25 and MCRatings worked perfectly. After I updated to 26 and uninstalled 25, I get the error whenever I start MCRatings.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks 

zybex

• MC Beta Team

I can reproduce this error if I do as described in the post linked by xpto:
- install MC26
- uninstall MC25, selecting "remove all registry entries"

This removes some registry entries that are needed to talk to MC26, causing MCRatings to fail.
However, simply re-installing MC26 fixes the problem as it creates the missing entries again.

Can you please check your registry to see if you have these entries:

Code: [Select]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MediaJukebox Application\CLSID]
default = {572802D5-FBF6-4C30-89CA-BDF2CE4AEC2B}

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{572802D5-FBF6-4C30-89CA-BDF2CE4AEC2B}\LocalServer32]
default = C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 26\Media Center 26.exe

Also check that the application path mentioned in the registry entry is correct.
If it still doesn't work, let me know and I'll get you a debug version with some logging to find out what's causing the issue.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck

Zybex,

I have both registry entries exactly as you describe and the application path is correct.

Tried uninstalling and re-installing version 26 again but still get the same error message and MCRatings won't start.

Appreciate your help.

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck

Zybex, sent you a pm with the logfile. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks

jimm2

• Junior Woodchuck

Zybex,

I think I figured it out. Running MCRatings as an administrator successfully opens the program with no error message. Not sure why running as an administrator would be required now just by upgrading to MC26 but seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all your help!

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Glad you found it :)
I thought the same when I saw the log you sent - it points to an error about requiring elevation. I didn't reply with that because I wanted to test it further when I got home.

Perhaps you have MC itself running as Administrator?

AppCompatFlags are also a possibility:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36716052/com-exception-0x800702e4-in-mscorlib-while-accessing-referenced-dll-function

Another one is COM launch permissions for JRiver's COM component (managed with "dcomcnfg").

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

Hi Zybex,
I always get the setup window up front when I open MCRating and I always have to save/cancel the window to continue to operate MCRating.
Is there something I can do to prevent the setup window to always open when I access MCRating?

I use MCRating V2.0.2

Best regards,

//arcpsin
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Hi ArcSpin,
Thank you for reporting this issue. I've found the bug and will publish a fix today.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Version 2.0.5 is now published, fixing this issue. It also adds some Statistics - press CTRL+I or right-click on About icon to open it.
To update, just go to About and click "Upgrade".

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

I'm getting this error message when I try to update.
I got the same message the last time I tried to update as well.

I see a progress bar working for a second, after that the error message appears.

The solution for me is to update manually, which is fine and works.
Update manually to 2.0.5 solves the problem with the setup windows always showing.

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Do you have the app in your ProgramFiles folder? If that's the case, the file has read-only permissions for your User and can only be overwritten when running elevated (as administrator). Auto-upgrade will fail as it doesn't handle this case.

I can improve the auto-upgrade process to request Elevation as needed, will add to TODO list.

You can also fix it by changing the folder permissions where the file is located to give R/W (Modify) permissions to all users (or only to your user account).

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen

Hello,
You are correct, MCRatings is in my program folder.
When I moved MCRatings to another location the error message is not there and the update to 2.0.5 works correctly.

I have now moved McRatings to another folder and everything is ok.

Thanks for the help!

lepa

• MC Beta Team

Hi Lepa, sorry for the late reply.
There's no uninstall as the tool is just the single EXE. The settings however are saved in %localappdata%\mcratings, which you have already deleted - this should have reset your settings (you can also just click on "reset mappings" on MCRatings settings to do the same).

It sounds like there's some issue in the JRiver field definition... check:
- field name has spaces at the beggining/end? (both in JRiver and MCRatings)
- field type in JRiver - must be a "User Data" field, type "string", not relational, standard edit type.

Also, check that the current loaded Library in JRiver is in fact the one containing these new fields. MCRatings only works with current library.
Hi, thanks for the answer. I played a little more with this and it seems that at least for me the field needs to be stock field in order to get MCRatings to approve the field. I'm now using [Camera] as a temporary field  ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up