INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC DLNA server thumbnails not used by VLC  (Read 2044 times)

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
MC DLNA server thumbnails not used by VLC
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:30:37 pm »

OK, sometimes I'm too lazy to switch to the HTPC input on the TV (and use the bulky wireless keyboard) to use MC to stream stuff from my MC media server. Instead, I want to continue to use my Apple TV 4K, and use the VLC app on it. This generally works great. I was able to customize the rules for what is displayed on the MC server side, and VLC navigates and plays everything quite well, albeit via an ugly UI.

But here's the issue. Small but annoying:

All of the movie poster and TV series and TV season and Episode art that I've collected is not displayed in Apple TV 4K VLC app when accessing the MC DLNA server. I know other servers like PLEX and Twonky correctly serve up for display the thumbnail art in VLC. Do we know of any settings, hacks, etc, to get MC DLNA server to play nice with VLC with regards to the thumbnail art?

Thanks,
Jeff

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC DLNA server thumbnails not used by VLC
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 05:51:51 pm »

Just out of interest, what kind of thumbnail is VLC showing in this case?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 06:05:40 pm »

For TV shows, it appears to be something close to the first frame of the video (I don't think it's the TVDB image, but I'd have to check for sure)... this is for the Episode thumbnail as well as the Season and Series (the later two make no sense and is what I'm most bothered by, the former is somewhat forgivable). For movies, it seems to be correctly showing the movie posters. Furthermore, for movie series (Marvel Cinematic Universe, Harry Potter, Eastrail 177, etc.), I group them into folders, and it seems to correctly show the "pile" of movie posters as the folder thumbnail.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:47:08 pm »

Have you tried turning on the "Present small artwork" setting in the DLNA Server Advanced options?

Maybe VLC is looking for thumbnails, and not embedded full sized images. Worth a try anyway.

Also, is DLNA Extra ticked?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:23:01 pm »

Thanks RoderickGI. DLNA and DLNAExtra are ticked but Present Small Artwork was not. When I ticked the latter, the same images appeared as before, only, wait for it... smaller. :)

So I've confirmed that the show episode art and movie art are all working as expected. It's only the show Series folders and Season folders that display the art from the first episode of the season. Hmmmmm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up