INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library issues (solved)  (Read 1564 times)

EJR

• World Citizen
Library issues (solved)
« on: March 14, 2019, 01:15:56 pm »

TLDR:computers are weird

Something weird has been going on with my music as there seemed to be a lot missing.
Also for some reason all my library import settings are blank.

I’m not sure what caused it or since when it has been like this it only today it came to my attention that the amount of albums seemed a little low.

Maybe it has to do with the win 8.1 to win 10 upgrade I did a couple of months ago.

Any way it seems like the best way to fix it is to rebuild the library from scratch. Though I rather keep most of my settings as they are since the should be fine

So I took a couple of months old backup. It still had the import settings but after a library update it had the same amount of files as the faulty library.  Then when I checked the import settings again they were all missing again (aka blank field). Makes no sense at all.

So I tried to add a new library so I could work alongside the existing one but the local library path is totally empty and it refuses to add. I'm pretty sure I never had to create a path for the library location before.

So we have empty import settings and now and empty library path.

So I cleared the existing library and added 1 folder back to into import settings.

The folder is located on an unraid server on the local network and always been in the same place.

After import this one folder in an empty (cleared) library

I got the following results
Code: [Select]
Library now has 17924 files. Search and update took 16:42.

Imported 16739 new files.
Updated 1185 files that had external changes.
Failed to import 1185 files.
Skipped 1 file (filename too long).

Now I’m not sure why 1185 files can get updated in an empty library. And why they failed.
Also the number in the panes on bottom left said some thing like 25000 files imported.

PS I'm writing this as I’m trying to fix it or I could never recollect what I exactly did.

For import settings I have only Audio Selected as File type

Reading the Import summary all the failed files are .cue files. Not Sure why these are listed under audio I though these are more like a playlist file for burning.

Since the numbers don’t match up I decided t add a library with a different name.
Since the library location was totally blank
I used the Path "C:\Users\..\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 24\Library\".  But as soon as I do that all that happens is that the current library seemingly only changes name. Because the Files I had just imported are still there.

Should a NEW library not be simply totally empty? I’m pretty sure multiple libraries were supported in the past. So my guess is it has to do with the path.

I will update as I Find out more.

Update:

After some more testing it seems there were no files missing it was the size listed for all music that seemed wrong. The amount of playtime however stayed the same.

Could it be that the win 10 update from 8.1 somehow has messed with the import settings?

Also it seems there seems to be a problem with the folder (size) properties when I right click a folder on the network share. This does not happen on an old laptop I have that is still running win 8.1.
Could it be this is related to the wrong size displaying in media center?

Update:

So I reverted back to an older library. Added all folders on audio only (minus the cue files) in the import settings.

What caused the size display error that led me to believe files were missing remains in the open.  Would not surprise me if its related to this PC displaying incorrect folder properties.

Import settings seem fixed The only question that remains regarding JRiver MC 24 how do i add an extra library? should i create a new library folder? (has it always been like that? I would swear I could just add an extra library without adding folders in the past, maybe my memory is failing me)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library issues
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:00:19 pm »

When you create a new library you have to browse to an existing location, and if necessary add a folder using the MC function in the dialogue, and then select the new folder. You can't enter a path directly into the dialogue box.

If Windows 10 is showing the wrong file sizes, MC will show the wrong files sizes. It is just using what Windows tells it to.

The real mystery is why your Auto Import settings would be cleared. They are in the Windows Registry, so if you use a Registry cleaner or similar software, stop it. Windows Registry cleaners are generally a bad thing, even though they can clear up some mess. They can also silently break things for you to discover later on.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:03:26 pm »

so i  took a couple of months old backup. it still had the import settings but after a library update it had the same amount of files as the faulty library.  then when i checked the imprt settings again they  were all missing again (aka blank field). makes no sense at all.
That has to be something wrong with the machine itself.  Antivirus?

EJR

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 03:17:03 pm »

Thanks for the Replies

When you create a new library you have to browse to an existing location, and if necessary add a folder using the MC function in the dialogue, and then select the new folder. You can't enter a path directly into the dialogue box.

If Windows 10 is showing the wrong file sizes, MC will show the wrong files sizes. It is just using what Windows tells it to.

The real mystery is why your Auto Import settings would be cleared. They are in the Windows Registry, so if you use a Registry cleaner or similar software, stop it. Windows Registry cleaners are generally a bad thing, even though they can clear up some mess. They can also silently break things for you to discover later on.
so new library new empty folder got it.
Ok that makes sense. Most likely te Registry got broken with the windows 8.1 to 10 to 10pro update.
odd thing is tho that MC shows the correct size now the largest music folder however only show 25% of its size. tho other folder on the same network share shows the correct size however.
there seem to be report of bugs on win 10 folder size so have too look further into that.

That has to be something wrong with the machine itself.  Antivirus?
Anti virus has been the same for years. everything seems in order now. See if it stays stable now. the Size missmatch put me on the wrong track. seems a problem with win 10 and Network folders? something to figure out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up