INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I add podcast files that are "not in feed"?  (Read 1061 times)

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
How can I add podcast files that are "not in feed"?
« on: March 15, 2019, 09:12:27 pm »

OK, so If I understand the basics here, we set up our podcasts by specifying an XML file via a URL. That XML file lists all the podcast episodes currently considered "in the feed", and important metadata about each episode, like name, episode number, where to pull it from, etc.

So I listen to a podcast that is on its 134th episode. And I have all 134 episodes downloaded by means other than MC. I decided I should use MC to manage my podcasts going forward. So, I added the podcast to MC, but the podcast's feed only has the last rolling 10 episodes. How do I insert the other 124 episode files that I have into the podcast feed list so that they show up (and I'm assuming will be flagged as "not in feed")?

Thanks,
Jeff

PS to podcasters: Please just list ALL available episodes in your feed, not just the most recent 10. You still have all 134 available on your website for crying out loud. All the software I've seen let's the user choose which and how many episodes to download, how long to keep them, etc. So just let the user have that control.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I add podcast files that are "not in feed"?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 01:24:58 pm »

You likely need a different RSS feed for the podcast.
If you don't mind sharing the name of the podcast I can try to find a working RSS feed for you.

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 05:23:40 pm »

Thanks. That seems like one approach... to find a different RSS feed. I've looked and couldn't find one, though. That's why I was trying to figure out how episodes come to have a "not in feed" status, and if there is a way to tag my files in such a way as they show up in the podcast feed view with "not in feed" (as opposed to the ones still in the feed/RSS marked as "on disk").

Anyway, the podcast is PokemonGoRadio... https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pokemon-go-radio/id1134397605?mt=2

Thanks for your help!

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 05:30:10 pm »

This is the official feed for pasting in MC:
Code: [Select]
http://www.pokemongoradio.com/feed/podcast/
Sorry, I didn't have any luck finding an RSS feed with all episodes. You could try contacting them to ask for the full list to be included. I don't see why they just show the last 10 as the show is free and available for download everywhere. It's possible they don't even know there's just 10 showing up.

All the of podcasts I have in MC show full lists ranging from hundreds of episodes up to 1400. There is however a handful of early episodes missing for a couple but they are easily available from official sites and any podcast site I have checked. So again, they probable just have to fix their feed.

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 12:13:27 pm »

Yep, thanks for looking. I came to the same conclusion.

The question remains for the MC developers... how is "not in feed" status managed, and is there a way for me to tag files into a podcast stream with the "not in feed" status???

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 11:40:59 am »

Bump?
Pages: [1]   Go Up